used searchbar, didnt turn up much. Like said in title, this is probably a noob question.

I was wondering what the differences were between rosewood and ebony fretboards. ebony seems like a "better" wood from what I've read, because it is only used in more expensive guitars. So what makes ebony so special?
“It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye...than it's fun and games you can't see anymore.”-James Hetfield
more sustain probbly. and feels better in my opinoin. mostly just preference i think
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
its not really better, honestly, anyone who says something like "i can only play ebony fretboards" is out of their mind. It feels pretty nice, its glassy, but I have one guitar with each (ebony, maple, rosewood) and they're all awesome
The ebony will be a darker more crisp sounding than the Rosewood. Maple would be brighter again. Although after saying that only the most discerning listener would be able to tell the difference tbh.

Ebony is not as plentiful as Rosewood so I guess thats what makes it more expensive, I wouldn't call it a 'better' wood, I've played both and prefer the feel of the Rosewood, it was somehow softer for want of a better word. But its purely down to taste like a lot of other aspects of the guitar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, there's plenty of top of the range guitars that utilise Rosewood in direct preference to ebony although that may purely be down to cost.
Quote by Free
The ebony will be a darker more crisp sounding than the Rosewood. Maple would be brighter again. Although after saying that only the most discerning listener would be able to tell the difference tbh.

Ebony is not as plentiful as Rosewood so I guess thats what makes it more expensive, I wouldn't call it a 'better' wood, I've played both and prefer the feel of the Rosewood, it was somehow softer for want of a better word. But its purely down to taste like a lot of other aspects of the guitar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, there's plenty of top of the range guitars that utilise Rosewood in direct preference to ebony although that may purely be down to cost.

I don't know if it's a cost preference,since Brazilian rosewood is pretty damn pricey and most high end guitars seem to use that in preference over Indian RW.I think it's just down to the different characteristics and visual appeal of each wood.If one was factually superior to the other then I doubt high end builders and guitar companies would even bother with the inferior wood,but I may be wrong.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Just another question. I currently have a Roland Cube 30X, and was thinking about getting another guitar(I currently own an SG.). I hear that the advantages of Active Pickups are eliminated with Solid State Amps. Im pretty sure my Roland is a solid state, so with this reasoning, there would be no benefit for me of getting a guitar with active pickups, correct?
“It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye...than it's fun and games you can't see anymore.”-James Hetfield
Quote by sensfan151911
Just another question. I currently have a Roland Cube 30X, and was thinking about getting another guitar(I currently own an SG.). I hear that the advantages of Active Pickups are eliminated with Solid State Amps. Im pretty sure my Roland is a solid state, so with this reasoning, there would be no benefit for me of getting a guitar with active pickups, correct?

There would be an improvement in tone over your stock pups,but you wouldn't see the full scope of the features and benefits that active pups give when used in conjunction with a rig that's well suited for them.A pup swap,especially with actives,is best done when you have a nice amp and just want to improve or alter the characteristics of an already good tone.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by sensfan151911

correct, get a tube amp before you get active pickups