So I've just started taking in theory, and I'm just barely understanding it. I feel as if I understand the creation of chords using a scale, for example, and I have a sample of one I made.

E a d g b e
X 0 2 4 3 5

Is that a certifiable chord? It sounds ok to me, and works well when added to the end of the scale. Also, what would you name that chord?

Thanks, I know it's an irrelevant question but I'm a theory noob .
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That is Asus2sus4.

Check out the lesson in my sig.

Asus2sus4.. that's actually simpler than I thought it'd be. I guess now it looks more like an A to me since it's been mentioned, though. And I'll give that a look, thanks.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I don't know. I'm fine with sus2sus4, but it does make sense to say that you suspend the third to a fourth and add a ninth. However, it could also be Asus2add11, so I'm going with sus2sus4 until someone corrects me.
Quote by eGraham
So I've just started taking in theory, and I'm just barely understanding it. I feel as if I understand the creation of chords using a scale, for example, and I have a sample of one I made.

E a d g b e
X 0 2 4 3 5

Is that a certifiable chord? It sounds ok to me, and works well when added to the end of the scale. Also, what would you name that chord?

Thanks, I know it's an irrelevant question but I'm a theory noob .

out of curiosity, what was your process for deriving this chord out of a scale? and which scale did you use? is this just a random chord, or is it part of a progression. Context is important in answering questions like this.
Oh, great. Context always makes me look foolish lol.

I derived it from the simple Chinese-esque tune played on the high e string:

12-12-12-12-10-10-7-7 etc. etc.

I used it primarily to test and see if I was able to make a chord, if I remember correctly the notes I extracted were E, A, B and C (or G).

Then I just made those same notes on different strings and voila.. there's a chord. I don't know if it's correct or not, but I was satisfied that it sounded good at least lol.

EDIT: I was just reminded, what scale is G F D C A G# ?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Feb 24, 2009,
Edit: Should've taken some time to read.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Last edited by TheGallowsPole at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by eGraham
Oh, great. Context always makes me look foolish lol.

That's okay, If you make a mistake, just see it as an opportunity to learn.

Quote by eGraham

I derived it from the simple Chinese-esque tune played on the high e string:

12-12-12-12-10-10-7-7 etc. etc.

I used it primarily to test and see if I was able to make a chord, if I remember correctly the notes I extracted were E, A, B and C (or G).

Do you know what scale that melody is from? also I'm not sure I understand your process. did you randomly pick those notes, follow a formula, or just use your ears ?

Most of the music we listen to use chords that are created by stacking thirds (tertian harmony). for instance pick any note, then play a note a 3rd higher, and then add a note another 3rd higher. that will give you some type of three note chord (triad). depending on the distance between each of the notes (type of 3rd as in M3 or m3), that triad may be Maj, min, dim, or Aug. so my point here is that if you followed the standard formulas for creating chords, you would come up with chords that are easily analyzable, because they were created within the system. That being said, I don't think he should ever stop listening and using your ears to create chords.

Quote by eGraham

Then I just made those same notes on different strings and voila.. there's a chord. I don't know if it's correct or not, but I was satisfied that it sounded good at least lol.

Well, that's good that you use your ears to decide whether or not you like it. As far as what you should call it, there may be a number of things, including Asus2sus4 as has been suggested.

Something to consider is that we are trying label your chord based on a system that you didn't follow when creating your chord. That doesn't mean that it's "wrong" in any way, just that it may not be as easy to analyze with that system. Ultimately, the fact that you liked the way it sounds is more important than what you call it.

I would highly recommend spending time with just the major scale. learned its formula, learn what it sounds like, learn to create triads on each scale step, learned to create seventh chords on each scale step. I think then you'll have a better perspective with which to understand chord analysis.

EDIT: I was just reminded, what scale is G F D C A G# ?

well D F G G# A C (same notes, different order) is the D minor blues scale.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 24, 2009,
I got the notes from knowing the strings and frets, etc. But yeah, I just randomly threw the notes in to make a chord lol. I assumed it worked originally because I did the original "picking" of the tune on the E string, and the chord topped it off nicely at the end.

And honestly, I posted here to see if what I did was acceptable more than curiosity of the name of the chord. If you're confused about the little tune I'm talking about, it's pretty much the stereotypical Chinese theme song. I can't think of any examples, but it's very simple and includes frets 12, 10, 7 and 5 on the high e string. That's the best I can offer, and I hope it makes things clearer instead of worse :S.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
And honestly, I posted here to see if what I did was acceptable
Acceptable in what sense? Theory doesn't dictate what you should play; it describes what has been played and what could be played.
Hmm.. I see. This is my first night going into theory, so I think I've just made things too technical. I realise that ultimately, whatever sounds the best is the best, but I guess I was too ready to expect a really complicated answer. That's what happens when I encounter something as difficult as music theory, though.

So I apologize - the entire basis of this thread could be considered spam lol.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Feb 24, 2009,