alright, once again Gibson has proven to be incompetent.. well more of i have.

while playing around with the lock on the case for my sg3 when waiting for a ride, i accidentally reset the combo and have no clue what i set it as thus i need your help

i know about the technique with the flashlight and the metal strip, and god forbid trying every combination, but I've checked everywhere and was wondering where do you shine the flashlight. Am i supposed to be looked for the notch above the wheel, or beside it or underneath it? Also how big is the notch, because so far I've got nothing.

It's the same as this lock, but the button is down making it impossible to open the case;

Thanks in advance
I actually lol'd. Is your guitar in the case? That would really suck.

Sorry, I don't know how much about cracking locks.. by the way if my math is right (its been a while) you have 27000 combinations
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
i had it open and that means that it is no lower than 1-3-0 which is my normal combination, and i know that i would have set it higher but then my my came to pick me up and i closed the case quickly setting it to that number and i have a habit to always spin it back to 0's when i close it. i need to learn to think

edit: yeah my guitar is in there but it's only three digits so there's only 1000 possible combinations
Last edited by Les Paul57 at Feb 24, 2009,
There are only 999 different combinations to try - should only take you a couple minutes to get it unlocked.

Edit: Damn... forgot about "000" so there would be 1,000 different combos... but it still should only take a couple minutes to figure it out
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Feb 24, 2009,
Well, there are only 1,000 possible combos..... get crackin XD

EDIT: ****, I forgot, you multiply 10X10X10, not 10x3..... my bad
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Feb 24, 2009,
success!
the lucky number was 120. but if anyone has any information it wud be appreciated. i went from 130 to 390 then went from 0 to 120. so if any one knows how i would be able to speed this up in the future i'd be appreciated.

i_am_metalhead, you were right. mad praise.
To figure out the total number combinations in lets say a 3 digit number combination 000-999, you take the base of how many spaces you have, in this instance 3, and you take it to the power of how many total possible numbers that you can put in, 0-9, so 10 possible numbers to choose from, so the total number of combinations of 000-999 is 3^10, which is 59049 possible number combinations, not 10^3 which is 1000 as mentioned earlier..
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Yeah, there are 1000 combinations, try every one but.. why blame gibson?
Quote by Les Paul57
success!
the lucky number was 120. but if anyone has any information it wud be appreciated. i went from 130 to 390 then went from 0 to 120. so if any one knows how i would be able to speed this up in the future i'd be appreciated.

i_am_metalhead, you were right. mad praise.

Well I have a lock that a friend gave to me a long time ago that is exactly like the lock on your guitar case but you use it on lockers, gym bags, etc. When he gave it to me he didnt remember what the combo was so I had to crack it - I remember it only taking a couple minutes to figure out what it was.
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
To figure out the total number combinations in lets say a 3 digit number combination 000-999, you take the base of how many spaces you have, in this instance 3, and you take it to the power of how many total possible numbers that you can put in, 0-9, so 10 possible numbers to choose from, so the total number of combinations of 000-999 is 3^10, which is 59049 possible number combinations, not 10^3 which is 1000 as mentioned earlier..

Okay, think about it....

The number is any possible combination form 000-999, correct? Now, count from 000-999.... and you get 1,000. There is no way in hell that it has 59k possibilities.

EDIT: It's like a permutation, except the number can remain the same on any given slot.

There are 10 possibilites for slot 1, as well as 2 and 3. So, 10(slot 1 possibles)x 10(slot 2 possibles)x10(slot 3 possibles)= 1,000
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well I have a lock that a friend gave to me a long time ago that is exactly like the lock on your guitar case but you use it on lockers, gym bags, etc. When he gave it to me he didnt remember what the combo was so I had to crack it - I remember it only taking a couple minutes to figure out what it was.

at first i was pushing for each time but what u said gave me the idea of just holding the button and spinning through the numbers quickly since it would likely give when i pass the right number. thanks a bunch
I had my skis locked in a ski lock once that I didn't know the combo to. I tried all combos. There's a good chance it's on the lower half of 1000. Just do it. an SG3 is worth it.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Glad you got it open but it leads to me to ask this... does anyone else think its a bad idea to put these crappy locks on guitar cases, suitcases etc?

As has been said, it doesn't take long to figure out the combinations and even less time to use some slightly more than gentle pressure to prise the thing open anyway. Add to that the realistic scenario that a thief would would be more likely to simply steal the whole thing anyway and it just seems daft.
Quote by Free
Glad you got it open but it leads to me to ask this... does anyone else think its a bad idea to put these crappy locks on guitar cases, suitcases etc?

As has been said, it doesn't take long to figure out the combinations and even less time to use some slightly more than gentle pressure to prise the thing open anyway. Add to that the realistic scenario that a thief would would be more likely to simply steal the whole thing anyway and it just seems daft.

kind of like a "porta-safe"?

it is just to give your soul some security. not much physical security though.