Hey guys. I just noticed in my task manager that a .exe called "winlogon.exe" is running. I've never seen this before, so I googled it and got mixed/vague results. Can anyone clarify if this is a virus or not? And if it is, can anyone help me get rid of it? I'm running a scan on Ad-Aware now if that helps.

Thanks guys.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
You'll just have to end the process and find out, now won't you?

(You take all the blame for taking my advice. FYI. /disclaimer)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

its fine. i ended it once and my comp just froze up until i restarted
eggs smell irate during midnight tea...
Quote by CrashedTheShow3
It won't let it end. It says its a critical system process.

Of course a virus would say that.

But so might a critical system process.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

It doesn't sound dangerous. You can google processes and it'll tell you if they're dangerous or not.

Just as a side note, don't get rid of SVChost or whatever it's called. I have like seven of them running, but they're all required for your computer to work.
Windows errors related to winlogon.exe?

winlogon.exe is a process belonging to the Windows login manager. It handles the login and logout procedures on your system. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

There.

But just in case, check your firewall logs, see if the process has tried to connect to a remote computer.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Don't worry I have "winlogon.exe" running as well. Have you modified the way windows looks? Like a custom theme or something? Don't worry if you didn't. It's not harmful.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Wow.
OK.
It's a valuable process.
it has been on your task manager list for as long as you have had Windows installed.
it's not a virus.
Viruses don't even target that process.
It's fine.
Don't fix what isn't broken.

There are tons of system processes always running.
WinLogon.exe is one of them.

I allows you to restart, log-off, switch users, turn off, standby your computer. Without it, you can't do any of that without ripping the power cord out or pressing the power button for like... 5 seconds.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

Quote by CrashedTheShow3
Hey guys. I just noticed in my task manager that a .exe called "winlogon.exe" is running. I've never seen this before, so I googled it and got mixed/vague results. Can anyone clarify if this is a virus or not? And if it is, can anyone help me get rid of it? I'm running a scan on Ad-Aware now if that helps.

Thanks guys.

whats next windows explorer?

without winlogon.exe you cant be logged in. End the process, your computer will freeze and you will have to kill the power to turn it off.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
I would agree that it's a regular windows program, but ever since it showed up my computers been running slow as hell, and its been freezing up.

I've read that the virus can target that part of your system because it cant be closed therefore making the virus unable to delete...I'm just looking for confimation.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Last edited by CrashedTheShow3 at Feb 24, 2009,
What, you mean, since you bought the computer?

It's gotta be something else.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yeah, I've never noticed it since I bought the computer, which naturally would add to my suspicion
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Dude, there's this process, explorer.exe I think it's called, that's totally hogging up my memory.

Should I end it?
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Don't worry about it, I had the same problem. It wasn't the program that was the complication. Fortunately, I found a way to fix it. Have a look in your local C drive. What I found to be the problem was an entire folder of viruses named WINDOWS! Delete it, and your computer should be fine...

After that stressful round of troubleshooting, why don't you go ahead and reward yourself with a nice jerkoff session? Preferably with IcyHot, that stuff just makes everything even more soothing.
You know if you had just looked a little to the right of the process name, you would have noticed that that is the Windows Logon Application.

Seriously people need to learn how to look for answers on their own before wasting other people's time by asking them.