I'm refinishing my guitar and I figured while I'm at it I'd try to shave my neck down. I find the neck on my guitar is a little thick so how big of a job is it to shave the neck? How would go about doing it? What should I use to shave it with?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Hey, sorry to thread hijack on ya but can you shave a neck if you dont like the finish? will that solve the problem if you apply another prefered finish on? I hate gibson necks (are PRS's the same finish?) cause they feel sticky but I want one eventually and I want it to be comfortable.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
just sand the finish off
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by sheldonpardy
I'm refinishing my guitar and I figured while I'm at it I'd try to shave my neck down. I find the neck on my guitar is a little thick so how big of a job is it to shave the neck? How would go about doing it? What should I use to shave it with?

Common sense tells me this might not be too great of an idea, in regard to your truss rod. Your neck might snap...

I use gel and razors to shave my neck though.

Sorry I don't have any practical advice to give you.
It's not hard to shave the neck down assuming you know how deep the truss rod is. If you don't, then it becomes a guessing game.

If the neck is detachable you could use anything from a spokeshave to a pen knife to a belt sander to shave it down. If it isnt you're going to be stuck with the spokeshave or pen knife (artists knife?). After you get it shaved down all you have to do is apply some kind of finish to it.

And as far as moose's question goes, the sticky feeling you feel is generally because of a high gloss finish. A satin finish or unfinished neck is normally preferable. But preference in that area isn't defined, everyone thinks something different.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
OP, use anything from sandpaper to rasps. GO little at a time though, don't forget that there is a truss rod channel in there.

Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Hey, sorry to thread hijack on ya but can you shave a neck if you dont like the finish? will that solve the problem if you apply another prefered finish on? I hate gibson necks (are PRS's the same finish?) cause they feel sticky but I want one eventually and I want it to be comfortable.

Take some sandpaper to the back of the neck. Should smoothen it right up.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.