So I'm going to be getting a Strat, and my budget will only allow for the Mexican made one. The guy at guitar center was telling me that the quality is nearly the same as the American made ones. I played for awhile with it at guitar center and I really liked it.

Anybody own a Mexican made Strat or have any thoughts on the quality of this guitar?
They are nice guitars, definetly as good as a MIA.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
I love mine, it's awesome. It's an HSS so I can get some nice agressive tone at the bridge and more strat like in the neck and middle. The nut on it needs work and I'm not a huge fan of the pickups. They sound compressed. I'd like to get them switched out but we'll see. But the actual physical body is wicked, it's a great guitar choice.
Don't own one but I've played one. That Guitar Center employee isn't kidding, the Mexican ones are of nearly the same quality of the American ones. The only difference is the Mexican ones are assembled in Mexico.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
i own the highway one model and i highly suggest it. reverse wound middle pickup for less noise. i wouldn't suggest the mexican because often they're poorly made. but sometimes you luck out. mexican strats run into problems with staying in tuning and fret buzzing even after an attempted setup.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
i have the s/s/s one. and its a great guitar. only thing is the pickups are weak with lots of distortion. but thats to be expected. just a warning to not get it if you want to play heavy stuff. but other than that. i am extremely pleased. fantastic instrument. very solid
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by CemetaryGates90
i have the s/s/s one. and its a great guitar. only thing is the pickups are weak with lots of distortion. but thats to be expected. just a warning to not get it if you want to play heavy stuff. but other than that. i am extremely pleased. fantastic instrument. very solid

I do plan on playing some heavy stuff (Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc.) one of the pickups is a humbucker if that makes a difference.
ohhh. yea. then go for it. the h/s/s is not gonna have that problem. only thing ive noticed is that the strat doesnt have a really heavy thick sound because of the thin shape, wood, and i think the bridge too. it sounds a little twangier. more punchy. you should try out some other guitars as well. like schecters or epiphone they have a thicker more heavy sound.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
i played the mex and the American side by side unplugged, and although they were both slightly out of tune, i realized that as far as playability goes they are virtually equal.

However i can imagine the mexican would sound not as good and go out of tune more often.
Quote by strat_7
i own the highway one model and i highly suggest it. reverse wound middle pickup for less noise. i wouldn't suggest the mexican because often they're poorly made. but sometimes you luck out. mexican strats run into problems with staying in tuning and fret buzzing even after an attempted setup.

I know you got a American Stratocaster and all but really after a setup Mexican Strats are amazing and there made pretty good most of the time with the odd miss in circulation.
The mexican fenders are extremely well made. Not the best flat out, but you can find gems. I've got a couple myself. Highly suggested.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
But how are they for heavier stuff, I play with a lot of distortion.

It's either the strat or an Epiphone Les Paul for about $450.
I have one and love it. THe quality might not be quite up to par with MIAs, but great none the less.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
IMO, MIM's are better than MIA's, in what you get for your money.

I own a MIM and it plays at least as good as any MIA I've played on.

I think it's great quality.

Besides, all Strats are so easy to upgrade anyway.

Regardless if you buy a MIM or a MIA, try it out first. If you aren't happy with it, don't buy it.

Check my previous threads for a lot of MIM Strat related info.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Feb 25, 2009,
used to have one but the american is a lot better. feels better and the tone is a bit better. however, i think the american is worth the extra 600 bucks because the mexican is almost just as good. might have to swap out pups. stock fender pickups suck on botht eh mexican and american.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
man if youre going heavier, i would really look at an ibanez or ltd man. the strat humbuckers in the mim strats are really weak, and they are just not that playable in terms of speed. nice guitars, just dont do heavy so well as others in that price range that are slightly more versatile.
I want to buy a strat, Either the Fender '60 classic player or the HHS,
I read the '60s one is noisy,
what do you suggest?
Mine is awesome. Honestly tho, it needs a good set up, keeping the bridge at level e.t.c.

Mine stays in tune perfectly now i bloked the bridge off and put new strings on! (Ernie balls titanium coated strings are awesome, lol).

They are very well constructed, solid, easy and comfortable to play and for the price you pay, you get 200% quality. If you are to buy one, I recommend you to check the '09 updated mexican strats. Now they have a vintage look and tinted necks. You will not miss an american strat for sure.
I’ve played both many times at the music store. I don’t think there is enough difference between the two to justify paying an extra $600+ even if I have the cash to burn. Save some cash and get the MIM. You can eventually upgrade the pickups, it’ll sound just as good if not better than the MIA and you’ll still save cash. I love my MIM and the stock pickups. I’m planning on upgrading the pickups so I’m sure I’ll love it even more.
i own a 1994 mexican and a 2003 american deluxe and the american stays in the case most of the time i seem to enjoy playing the mexican way more then the american. to me the mexican just feels and plays better. if you are going to buy a mexican just shop around play a bunch of them and find the one that feels best to you
I've had a MIM Strat for almost a year. It's a great guitar, and I'm glad I got it instead of an MIA.
Quote by tknick90
So I'm going to be getting a Strat, and my budget will only allow for the Mexican made one. The guy at guitar center was telling me that the quality is nearly the same as the American made ones. I played for awhile with it at guitar center and I really liked it.

Anybody own a Mexican made Strat or have any thoughts on the quality of this guitar?

they aren't as high-grade quality as the american strats...but I have a mexican made strat...and i love it. it plays well and I can adjust things very easily on it. 12 years and no issues with the neck..the pickups are good...last year the connections to the jack finally broke and i had to re-sauder them, but that's been it...good, cheap little axe
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
I have a MIM fender strat, had my luthier set it up, put EMG's in it, and had a slipstone nut installed instead of the stock fender nut.

I can now do divebombs on the 2 point classic style bridge and it holds tuning and im not kidding .......
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I own one and I absolutely love it. Mine is a 2001 model, those are a little different than the newer Mexican models keep in mind, a lot of the necks on newer MIMs are really bad, just play through the ones at your store and when you land on one that feels the best in your hands I'd say go for it.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
MIM's are some of the best guitars for the money. With that said, there IS a difference between them and the MIA's and to me its noticeable. For starters the electronics quality, the pickups in the american standard are higher quality and sound a little better IMO. Thats about it as far as sound though. I just love the rolled finger board edges and coating they put on the american standard necks. To me, those two things alone were worth the extra coin. The American standard neck is so perfect its ridiculous. The other thing which Ive heard but can't necessarily attest to is, American's get a more detailed fret dressing.....In other words you might find a few Mexi's out there with a little buzz because they didnt get as much fret attention, but they will still be great guitars. With low action, I cannot find even the slightest attempt of a buzz on my American standard neck.

Both top notch guitars.
I recently played one, SSS Standard and hell, if I had the money, I'd buy it anyday
I have a MiM Deluxe Player's, and the pickups are the same as the American, and the bridge does just as well. The main difference in playability is that the MiAs have their fretboard edges rounded off, which really just makes moving a bit more comfortable. But for the money, yes, a Mexican is the way to go.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Ive had my mexi strat for 2 days and its been an out of tune buzzing wreck. but im getting a prof setup tommorow so it should be great
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
All in all, you wouldn't regret getting the MIM version.

If your into some harder stuff, might wanna look into the HSS version (aka my first guitar) and maybe a different bridge pickup. Playing has a nice feel, don't be worried.
Quote by Tedward
i played the mex and the American side by side unplugged, and although they were both slightly out of tune, i realized that as far as playability goes they are virtually equal.

However i can imagine the mexican would sound not as good and go out of tune more often.

i dont think i've fully tuned mine in like 2 weeks, and i've moved it from lessons and jam sessions and what not and the things stays in tune very well. the only thing i really ever have to adjust is the low e(but thats just because i put it in drop d, and back all the time. so it needs minor tweaks to keep it in good tune.
Get a G&L tribute strat for $100 less and it's better
Last edited by darkcheef at May 23, 2009,
Quote by Stratoman95
Ive had my mexi strat for 2 days and its been an out of tune buzzing wreck. but im getting a prof setup tommorow so it should be great

dead thread was dead