I'm thinking of making a bunch of my own slides, i might end up making slides out of anything tubular... but anyways wanna know what you guys have made yours out of, like different metals or glasses, or anything exotic, anybody think lead is a good choice? please elaborate about how they sound.

i was joking about the lead.
Last edited by Vagabondie at Feb 24, 2009,
i made one out of a piece of 3/4" emt not too long ago. its not bad. but i prefer glass. i have used beer bottles before also.
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
Abuline acoustic
Yamaha acoustic
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Lol, lead.

Are you a smithy? Or are you otherwise trained in the metallurgical arts? lol

But anyway, back in the day, the old guys used whatever they could get for slides, like bottlenecks from wine bottles, old steel and copper pipe, medicine bottles, old bones, knives, spoons, etc.

So there is really no 'best' material. Just try a whole bunch of random stuff and see what works. Know that the smoother the surface of the material, the clearer the notes will be, and the more dense the material, the more sustain and usually, the brighter the sound will be.
I use a Stewart's root beer bottle. very bluesy. If you want something more jazzy, use a metal like copper or something of that nature. But I like glass the best, just sayin...
Quote by esp1234
I use the backside of an ipod

how do you get it on your finger without it getting in the way of the others?
Quote by Vagabondie

Hold it like a tonebar.
Quote by Vagabondie

Well I actually just press it down on the fret :\

better go to GC and get me a glass slide
Quote by imgooley

But anyway, back in the day, the old guys used whatever they could get for slides, like bottlenecks from wine bottles, old steel and copper pipe, medicine bottles, old bones, knives, spoons, etc.

bone it is
Quote by Vagabondie
bone it is

Look up Mississippi Fred McDowell and get the album Steak Bone Slide Guitar.
pvc pipe works

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
you know how when you buy a box of staples, they come in long sleeves that u just put into the stapler? Do you think u could fit that to ur finger better and put like tape on the inside so it sticks and use that?
it's debatable. some prefer metal to cut through he mix, some prefer glass for it's warmer tone, some prefer ceramic for it's toughness, it's all personal choice.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.