Ok so i just got my friends "****box" strat like guitar. He told me to fix it up but i dont know what to do. I took apart the entire thing and put all the small pieces in a bowl so i dont lose them. i realized it looks like he tried to "relic" the guitar. probably the ****tyist thing i have ever seen. he didnt have sand paper so he used some random tool and scratche the upper edge near where your elbow would be. he expose a very small amount of the wood, but there are huge scratches. so what should i do.

1. I know repainting is a must.
2. re-wiring as well.
3. But what else! He didn't give me specifics.

Help Me out.
Oh Hey look at my signature
After painting and rewiring (granted that's not going to kill you), you should do the essentials, like setting the intonation and action of the guitar. Clean the fretboard too. And put $300 worth of pickups in it. It doesn't matter if they're good or not. I think I covered it all. That last one's kinda optional. Make sure the electronics are in working order. Make sure the hardware is decent (tuners, bridge, etc.) Uh... yeah.
thanks im going to get new tuners, pickguard, straplocks, and a new tremolo arm. he's got a trem bridge without the arm. it will only cost me about 19.00 bucks because i already have extra straplocks. i new question is WHAT COLOR!?
sounds like youre about to spend 400 on a guitar that will be worth about 200 when youre done. and it will still play like it did before. the key to building a guitar is using quality components and saving money by building it and finishing it and doing the setup from the ground up like a professional would yourself without paying an extra grand to a big name company to do it for you. i wouldnt recommend putting a lot of time into a budget guitar with cheap parts all around. theres not really much to work with there.if you would like a nice strat type guitar i would suggest looking up this company called fender. fender makes a strat type guitar thats so good it sets the standard for being a strat. if i remember correctly its called a stratocaster. they make very nice ones in mexico (usually) for about 450 and exquisite professional quality guitars in america (usually) for a little over a grand. (usually) means try it before you buy it, as you should with anything really.
Quote by dz_alias
And put $300 worth of pickups in it. It doesn't matter if they're good or not.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

agree lol. also i work at a guitar shop so i get my pickups half off. plus i already got a ass load of pickups (DiMarzio fan boy)
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
sounds like youre about to spend 400 on a guitar that will be worth about 200 when youre done. and it will still play like it did before. the key to building a guitar is using quality components and saving money by building it and finishing it and doing the setup from the ground up like a professional would yourself without paying an extra grand to a big name company to do it for you. i wouldnt recommend putting a lot of time into a budget guitar with cheap parts all around. theres not really much to work with there.if you would like a nice strat type guitar i would suggest looking up this company called fender. fender makes a strat type guitar thats so good it sets the standard for being a strat. if i remember correctly its called a stratocaster. they make very nice ones in mexico (usually) for about 450 and exquisite professional quality guitars in america (usually) for a little over a grand. (usually) means try it before you buy it, as you should with anything really.

well if you read my main post. it is my friends ****ty guitar he wanted me to fix up. he is giving me money for it. I also have a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. I know what Fender is i'm not 5. also how is new tuners, pickguard, and new pickups (that i get half off) 400 dollars. also i dont care what it will be worth in the end he gave me $250. and im only spending about 40 tops. because i have pickups.
Quote by BlackDog55
i new question is WHAT COLOR!?

I'm gonna fiddle with a couple colour schemes on my two guitars.

One will have a black base coat, but burst in dark dark blue. Not only will the edges be burst, but also the outside of the pickguard, back plate cover, jack, bridge...
It'll also have a blue burst line running up the center of it.

Another idea I'm fiddling with is staining a guitar blue. Like the Fender Deluxe Player Strats. Some are Sapphire Transparent Blue. Mmmm. Stain it like those, with a black burst, but just on the edges.

Of course the black / blue color scheme can be changed, but they're decent templates, I'd like to think.

What's it called when a paint is really dark? Not dark in the color itself, but in how it just absorbs light and only shows at an angle. Iridescence?
Quote by dz_alias
I'm gonna fiddle with a couple colour schemes on my two guitars.

One will have a black base coat, but burst in dark dark blue. Not only will the edges be burst, but also the outside of the pickguard, back plate cover, jack, bridge...
It'll also have a blue burst line running up the center of it.

Another idea I'm fiddling with is staining a guitar blue. Like the Fender Deluxe Player Strats. Some are Sapphire Transparent Blue. Mmmm. Stain it like those, with a black burst, but just on the edges.

Of course the black / blue color scheme can be changed, but they're decent templates, I'd like to think.

What's it called when a paint is really dark? Not dark in the color itself, but in how it just absorbs light and only shows at an angle. Iridescence?

ok thanks for the recommendation. off of your idea i thouth of mabye an all blue burst (dark-to lighter blue)
Quote by BlackDog55
ok thanks for the recommendation. off of your idea i thouth of mabye an all blue burst (dark-to lighter blue)

That'd be cool. Do you mean like a lighter transitioning burst? Like fading towards the center as opposed to a relatively harsh shift from one color to the other at the edges?
Quote by BlackDog55
well if you read my main post. it is my friends ****ty guitar he wanted me to fix up. he is giving me money for it. I also have a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. I know what Fender is i'm not 5. also how is new tuners, pickguard, and new pickups (that i get half off) 400 dollars. also i dont care what it will be worth in the end he gave me $250. and im only spending about 40 tops. because i have pickups.

i read the post. my point was that it was a bad investment (did you read my post?) and if its your friend making it its still a bad investment. if youre cool with letting a guy you call a frend spend all that money making a cheap feeling guitar sound good instead of selling it off and getting a better axe. even if it sounds great it will still play like a bargin bin squire and have a neck on it that not made to last more than a few years without warping too bad to be helped by a truss rod adjustment. hes paying you half of what a good strat costs and he could sell off that guitar and be almost there for a brand new fender. seems kind of shady to me. maybe you should help your frend get the quality he wants but doesnt have the experience to see how to get it instead of just trying to profit off of his ignorance.

He's giving you $250 for it??? Tell him to spend the money on a nicer guitar! It would benefit him in the end.