Well, I thought I'd only have around 450USD for new gear, and I was just going to get a blackstar HT-5 combo when it came out in April. After getting a job, I'm going to have around 1000USD when it's time to buy new gear. This is only a temporary job, therefore I can't constantly keep saving.

So I thought I'd post my budget, and what I'm looking for, and I thought i'd get some opinions on what to buy. (I'm not just buying stuff because i have money, I really need new equipment. Currently playing through a spider ftw?)

TL;DR

Looking for a setup to get my style of playing. Suggest any combinations of an amp with or without pedals.... yeah.

I have around 1000 dollars. I don't want it all to go on an amp for example.

Some bands tones i'm going for, (I mimic certain tones I like, and then add my own likings to them)

Avenged Sevenfold, AC/DC, Metallica, 80's metal (think Bon Jovi, Journey, along with the heavier stuff), classic 70's rock (AC/DC, The Who [its like 60's but whatever]) Modern Punk (think Green Day) You get the idea.

The overdrive/distortion must be versatile, but can be geared towards one thing or another. The cleans i'm not too stressed about, I just need a solid clean that I can clean up with some eqing and pedals and what not.

I've been going on for too long. I don't feel like typing anymore. Ask questions. Please and thank you.

EDIT: I will not be able to crank it a lot, it wont be bedroom level playing though. I was just thinking a Blackstar HT-5 Combo with some basic pedals.

I have a Synyster Gates custom with Invader pups, and a Schecter ZV prototype with JB Seymour Duncan pups. The Custom seems to give me more of a metal/thrash sound while the prototype gives me more of a warmer solo and a classic/modern rock sound. (This is all on a spider btw.)
Last edited by SchecterZV at Feb 24, 2009,
look used for a peavey XXX, whether you get the combo, or a head and then some random 2x12. or actually, guitar center is having the deal where you get the 3120 head (basically a XXX but with a bit more marshally sound) new + a 4x12 cabinet (even though it sucks its free) for i think $1000, so... im sure there are other options though, but i cant think of much right nwo
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
yea the 3120 looks like a beast of an amp, I'm looking forward to playing one next time Im in GC
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
haha they generally leave me alone cause I know more than most of their employees due to my long hours browsing UG
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by SchecterZV
So far I think I'll just get the Blackstar HT-5 Stack or Combo, some high quality cables, and an EQ pedal for the loop.

Still open to suggestions

what are you talking about?, noone has suggested it this whole thread. theres no way the blackstar is gonna be able to play modern metal, especially if pushed too far into saturation, which is easy for such a low wattage amp. i say look at either XXX's/3120's or get a krank rev jr half stack. good modern metal tones imo, not too loud (relatively speaking), fits into your budget. get the pro version if you need footswitchability
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
what are you talking about?, noone has suggested it this whole thread. theres no way the blackstar is gonna be able to play modern metal, especially if pushed too far into saturation, which is easy for such a low wattage amp. i say look at either XXX's/3120's or get a krank rev jr half stack. good modern metal tones imo, not too loud (relatively speaking), fits into your budget. get the pro version if you need footswitchability

Nobody suggested it, I've just always liked the way it has sounded. and yes, I have played it. It sounds good at low volumes, I can't crank it too often.
Don't knock the Blackstar too far down that list

With $1000 you could get a Blackstar, a nice cab, and a boost

Check Erock503's profile for a sample clip
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Hahaha, it looks like you have more text in your "tl;dr" section than your original paragraph.

I was gonna say some sort of used Marshall, but I don't really know for sure.

I've heard good things about Blackstar, though. And I have played on some Peavey models mentioned... but if you want that BS, why not get it? Oh, and get the MXR 10 Band EQ if you can, for your loop. It's excellent.
I'd buy the head and a different cab, but I know nothing of compatible heads/cabs.. what speakers produce what tone.. blah blah blah. But I did hear Erock's sound clip and was blown away.

And yeah I noticed that too about my tl;dr... but I figured... hey it gets to the point. Why not :P The MXR 10-band was what I was looking at