My new BC Rich Mockingbird NJ classic arrived, and it is stunning! The neck is EXTREMELY FAST, PERFECT FOR SHREDDING

Anyway, as I had read in the harmony central reviews the pickups (BC Rich B.D.S.M humbuckers) are weak to say the least. They sound like some F'd up version of my single-coil bearing strat. They do not sound like humbuckers at all. They also make my ears blead from this terrible whiny noise...

So anyway, I was going through my closet today and found my SG's Gibson USA 490t and 490r humbuckers. A few years ago I took these out of my Gibson and replaced them with Seymour Duncans (a 59 neck and Pearly Gates bridge). I removed the 490s because I believed they were the cause of my feedback issues (I was a new guitarist and was playing exta strings- in retrospect I think the pickups were fine... probably excellent. I just wasn't good enough to properly use them).

So should I put these babies into the Mockingbird? It might be sweet... the mockingbird has insane sustain with the weak BDSMs. The 490 Gibson powerhouses might make the mockingbird a real killer.

Any/all opinions welcome.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!
Last edited by mockinbyrd at Feb 24, 2009,
Sounds like anything would be better than the ones in it right now. I say go for it.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by T!AN
The pickups will work fine, but out of curiosity what amp are you using?

I'm using one of those $160 Marshall combos. It's kinda loud but it sounds great with my strat and SG. My mockingbird also sounds horrible on my friends Roland Cube.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!
Quote by mockinbyrd
I'm using one of those $160 Marshall combos. It's kinda loud but it sounds great with my strat and SG. My mockingbird also sounds horrible on my friends Roland Cube.

I say go for it, but the problem beyond that is getting a new amp. Pickups are cool to tweak your tone and give clarity/definition, but 80% of your tone comes from the amp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
ok. I'll swap the pickups AND look into getting a new amp. What is a good, affordable (under $200) amp good for blues rock- hard rock- '80s metal?
Quote by mockinbyrd
ok. I'll swap the pickups AND look into getting a new amp. What is a good, affordable (under $200) amp good for blues rock- hard rock- '80s metal?

Under 200 bucks new? Good luck.

I say save up more money and get something you'll really like. I've found every genre I need in the Peavey XXX. The Peavey JSX is exceptional too. For something less expensive, I'd still say look at Peavey's line - there's something for almost everyone in there on multiple budgets.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I'd be willing to buy used. Are there any Peavies that should be avoided?
Quote by mockinbyrd
I'd be willing to buy used. Are there any Peavies that should be avoided?

Peavey's are usually pretty good. You may like their Vypyr amps. They are modeling amps but I've heard amazing things about them.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Well, you're not really looking for a practice amp, right? Most of 'em are pretty good. The only ones I'd stay away from are those in the Transtube series. I've never personally had a good experience with one.

I play exclusively XXX, though. Best amp IMO. Got my 150W 2x12 used for 500 bucks. If you're okay with a practice amp, check out the Vypyr series as mentioned above. I've heard great things of them.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Feb 24, 2009,
I just took a look at the XXX and JSX amps and they are WAY to expensive. I don't play professionally so I just can't justify getting one of those. Also, I need something that will fit my room and won't blow up my house!!

I did see a few nice looking Peavy practice amps. But what about the Fender G-cube?? My friend has one of those and loves it.
G-Cube is okay. It's not really gonna give you great tone, though. If you're lookin for a modeling amp, like the G-Dec fenders, go with a Peavey Vypyr. It's one of the very few modeling amps that are worth their weight in cash, IMO. You can get them in small wattages too - I'm pretty sure they go as low as 15w now, which is perfect for a small house/apartment.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
thanks for the help, I'll look for one of those.

Also, does anybody know what Gibson 490 humbuckers sound like?? I don't remember- that's how long its been since I played them. I looked them up on youtube but the quality of the recordings were bad. Do they sound kinda like a les paul and do they have that ballsy "gibson" sound?