Page 1 of 2
I think I have only been playing guitar for a little more than 2 years now. I started out with a Yamaha eg-112/crap yamaha amp starter kit (strat type clone). I bought an acoustic/electric (epiphone AJ-100) that I use quite a bit since I dont feel like plugging in my electrics. I ended up buying an Agile Al-3000 (Lp type clone) which I love, it is beautiful but I dont ever play it. For some reason I just find it more fun to play my yamaha strat. Then I bought a Fender FM25 ss amp but I wanted more so I sold that to my friend and bought a Crate V30 which I also love. I only have my fender amp for 3 months or so (if that).

I have an entire pedal board with a tuner, over drive pedal plus the od from my amp, distortion, flanger, fuzz, loop, wah and delay.

I started really playing bass 2 weeks ago. Bought a $230 acoustic bass. I have been playing the crap out of it. I really havent touched my guitars in those 2 weeks. Today I just bought a OLP MM2 stingray clone. I should have just boughten an electric to begin with.

Soon I am going to end up buying a bass amp.

I am not in a band, but I occasionally jam (maybe once a month or less, not as much as I would like to) with some friends.

Are any of you guys like me and just buy too much stuff that you dont ever use? I only jam with my strat and I probably will Jam with the olp bass.

I am already out of room and I keep spending money on guitar gear. How much gear do you guys buy and not use?
Hard to do when you're payin bills. I used to trade my gear in frequently, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Instead of spending your money on a lot of low quality gear save up and buy some quality gear. Your V30 is actually a decent amp but your guitar could be much better
I can't really do that..though i've just reached enough for a high end MIM strat.

And why don't you try selling what you don't use? I know it's painfull, but it's a lot better than having gear stashed at every corner of your house..

..no it's not..:
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Dude, you should have a set list of goals (gear) you wish to have in your life and that's it. Stuff like:

- a great tube amp
- a nice acoustic
- a hollow body electric
- a solid body electric
- a bass
- a decent bass amp
- a 12 string guitar

That's a fine list - it is mine - and those goals throughout a lifetime can easily be met. The above list is a perfect set of gear that all guitarists should own. What brands you buy are up to you.
Pshaw. I trade out and buy new gear at least every 2 months. You just have to be smart about it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The strat really isnt horrible, the tuners suck but thats no big. The agile is actually pretty dam good. The best guitar I have. I just dont like the feel of it compared to the strat. TOO heavy I guess. Thats what I get for loving the looks and buying one online without ever touching anything similar to an lp.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Pshaw. I trade out and buy new gear at least every 2 months. You just have to be smart about it.

Two months? I acquired 4 new pedals since Saturday. In all fairness, one is in the mail and another is waiting to be shipped. That's not uncommon for me though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
Two months? I acquired 4 new pedals since Saturday. In all fairness, one is in the mail and another is waiting to be shipped. That's not uncommon for me though.

Haha, yeah, well. I usually trade in things bigger than pedals. How about 3 amps and 2 guitars?

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Haha, yeah, well. I usually trade in things bigger than pedals. How about 3 amps and 2 guitars?

Not bad, I like your style!

I'm assuming we play vastly different music. Pedals/effects play a bigger role than amps and guitars for me, which I guess is a good thing. I do love me my amps though

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
I buy too much gear.

This x infinity, especially when I actually have extra money to spend.
I guess thats the beauty of still living at home with only a phone bill, gas and food to pay for.
I don't really have too much stuff for 5 years of playing. Fender Clapton Strat, Carlson PG-51, Peavey Windsor head/cab, Behringer GMX212, delay, wah, fuzz, pedal tuner, couple multi-fx. I have a ton of acoustics but they were all given to me.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I think everyone on this site buys "too much" gear.

Although the concept of "too much" is subjective.

I buy too much as well. In the span of 2 weeks, I've purchased a Red Witch Empress and a SubDecay Echobox. The boutique pedals really take a huge chunk out of your bank account.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I think everyone on this site buys "too much" gear.

Although the concept of "too much" is subjective.

I buy too much as well. In the span of 2 weeks, I've purchased a Red Witch Empress and a SubDecay Echobox. The boutique pedals really take a huge chunk out of your bank account.

I'd love to see your board! Post a picture somewhere.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by bboyjon

I am not in a band

just buy too much stuff that you dont ever use?

I am already out of room and I keep spending money on guitar gear.

How much gear do you guys buy and not use?

save up your money and buy DECENT gear that you won't have to keep getting rid of.

...and if your parents are giving you said money...... than help them out by not buying everything you desire on such a whim!
Quote by xwearesinking
I'd love to see your board! Post a picture somewhere.

I don’t have a pedal board as such. More like an stomp box chain. I can’t really afford it at the present time because I’m planning on buying 4 more Bare Knuckle pickups, and then a Fuel Tank Jr.

I only recently started getting back into stomp boxes… I went from a multifx (GT3) TO crappy Boss stomps TO dry into amp (this was until a few weeks ago) TO boutique pedals and pickups.

Those boutique stuff really take a huge chunk out of my bank account

Currently, my set up is
Edwards E-AL-166 > Krank Rev Pro Jr preamp > (FX loop) Korg Pictchblack > Fulltone OCD > Red Witch Empress > SubDecay Echobox (end FX loop)> Krank Rev Pro Jr power amp

I like to keep my chain short and simple. I buy pedals which would be the most versatile for my needs and stick to it. So unlike some people I’ve seen I don’t have more than 1 effect of a kind on my chain.

If you still like, I can shoot a picture of my rig.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
*reads initial post and raises hand*

Guilty as charged!

I'm not in nor do I plan to be in a band of any kind, and yet I own 7 guitars, an acoustic electric fretless bass, and a cello...and I'm not done buying guitars. I'm about to pay off my Fender HRD from layaway (my first amp), have a Russian Big Muff Pi, and a complete set of Line6 Tonecores...and I'm not done buying pedals. I will have to win the lottery to satisfy my GAS.

My 2 dogs think I'm Jimi Hendrix, and I'm not telling them the truth.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by xwearesinking
Not bad, I like your style!

I'm assuming we play vastly different music. Pedals/effects play a bigger role than amps and guitars for me, which I guess is a good thing. I do love me my amps though

eh, post rock, some ambient stuff, heavier indie (like the after midnight project).

Don't judge me.
Quote by bboyjon

I am not in a band, but I occasionally jam (maybe once a month or less, not as much as I would like to) with some friends.

Me too. Going to make more of an effort though.
Quote by bboyjon

Are any of you guys like me and just buy too much stuff that you dont ever use?
I am already out of room and I keep spending money on guitar gear.

I use what I buy. But I have been known to buy something and sell it within a year. on craigslist ftmfw
If I ever move to Chicago, Greg, you're on mah short list for teh band

And I just bought a whole bunch of stuff in the last few weeks.

Surprisingly, I spend way too much on slides (glass ones break, and some get lost )
I really want to be in a band. I don't really have time for it, but I really want to. My friend drums pretty well and I know he would be down. It is just that we dont really have anyone to play bass besides me, and we also dont have anyone to play guitar...besides me lol

Ive tried doing some solo stuff (with me on guitar, bass and drums) but I still need to get some drums which will be my next buy
Quote by imgooley
If I ever move to Chicago, Greg, you're on mah short list for teh band

I told you I'd send you something when I did my thread. There are some cheap airline tickets around bluesfest...

Quote by bboyjon

Ive tried doing some solo stuff (with me on guitar, bass and drums) but I still need to get some drums which will be my next buy

Please look on craigslist. You'd be surprised what you can score...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 25, 2009,
yeah, Im def going to try and get my bass amp on craigslist. The drums though, I am planning on buying a table top electric drumset
i buy my gear over time, never actually buying too much gear at once.

but i'm slightly packrat-like when it comes to almost electronics and scraps (extra wires, jacks, switches, etc) so it tends to pile up and become a messy nuisance.

yard sales are always over quick.. the other gearheads scoop all the good stuff.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'm terrible about making drastic gear changes in very small periods of time.

-Years ago I built a large pedalboard rig around an Ampeg VL-502 and a Les Paul copy. The guitar was actually pretty darn good, but many of the pedals were subpar and the 4x12 I was using at the time was absolutely horrid.

-I was happy with it for a little while, then sold the whole thing on ebay and bought a Marshall DSL401 and a Gibson Les Paul Florentine Plus (still kicking myself for ever letting go of that one). I only used a reverb pedal with that one.

-Got rid of that and did nothing but play around with a Blueridge BR-70 acoustic for a couple of years. Still have that guitar actually and will probably never come off of it.

-Much later I buy another Les Paul and a Vox AD120VT (the big Valvetronix model) with the footswitch and am contented for about another year. I still love how ridiculously easy that setup was to transport and it actually sounded quite good.

-Sold the Les Paul and the Vox within a couple of days of each other and bought a Soldano, a cab, some other peripherals, and built a Kaoss guitar very shortly after.

-A year later I turned the Soldano/Kaoss rig into a rack based Midi controlled monstrosity and am very happy for about another year.

-The past couple of weeks I've disassembled and listed for sale the entire Midi rig, bought a Mesa, and am currently shopping for a new guitar to replace the Kaoss guitar as my main one.

The bottom line is YES I buy too much gear.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I keep buying lots of gear. My pedalboard is about as heavy as my amp, and i have about 15 electric guitars..

i also want a 2x10 or 1x12 extension cab for my amp as i find myself raising the amp off the ground to get a bit more presence in the mix without the sound having to get harsh, but then it sounds thin.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 25, 2009,
every cent I get goes into gear. I just spend an ****load of money for an decent setup for my band, and its nowwhere near complete.

I'm goin to buy a decent acoustic until May 1., then either a new cab or a decent rig for Indie-stuff. Then I need a new guitar, and then? Don't know. There is this beautifull Gibson Les Paul Desert Burst with an 50s neck waiting for me at my local music store.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I'm a sucker for budget gear haha
My most expensive guitar was my Les Paul 100 (which i payed less than RRP for), and i have 4 others.
I love modifying them though, and I'm less scared than if i start hacking apart a MIA Stratocaster or something.
Exactly ^^^ I buy good for money type stuff since A) dont have the cash for something more expensive B) I would feel bad for spending that much money C) I have only been playing for 2 years or so. Why buy $1000 guitars and what not
Lately I've been valueing everything in pedals. Had to dump $600 into my car last week and i'm thinking to myself "damn that was 3 pedals right there!"
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
CRAIGSLIST!!! I sell all my shizz and get new shizz like every six months... I've done quite well at it too. Just sold my ****ty Ibanez, and peavey windsor for a MIM strat and V33h and blackheart cab.... not too bad
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My dad thinks I buy too much gear, but I'd like to buy even more... at the moment I'm looking at getting rid of my DD3 for a DD7 and getting a Line 6 FM4.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I also have an issue with buying to much gear.... Got the bug pretty bad too lol

Started out with a 25w epi ss amp and went through pedals like crack then within the year I had my Valveking and Marshall 4x12 Cab which is still quite a bit for a beginner...

Then 6 months later my rig looked like this...

And now after another 6 months its looks likes this...

So two years under my belt, way to much gear and I still suck at playing lol.. Because I spent way to much time buying and playing with gear
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 2