Poll: Which is the best value?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best value?
Visual sound Route 808
5 9%
Digitech bad monkey
12 22%
Ibanez TS9
14 26%
Ibanez TS808
8 15%
Jaques Tube Blower
2 4%
Jaques Vintage Pro overdrive
1 2%
B.Y.O.C. Overdrive II
6 11%
Maxon OD9
3 6%
Maxon OD9 Pro +
1 2%
Maxon OD808
19 35%
Voters: 54.
out of these pedals, which one is the best value (price in comparison so tone)?
could you list some benefits as well as some negative things about them?

Visual sound Route 808 - $99.95
Digitech bad monkey - $49.95
Ibanez TS9 - $99.99
Ibanez TS808 - $179.99
Jaques TB-2 Tube Blower - $129.95
Jaques Vintage Pro overdrive - $139.95
B.Y.O.C. Overdrive II - $89.99 (some assembly required )
Maxon OD9 - $150.00
Maxon OD9 Pro + - $199.50
Maxon OD808 - $150.00

Not on the Poll (feel free to suggest more to the list):
Maxon OD820 Vintge Overdrive Pro - $217.50
BBE Green Screamer - $99.95
Hardwire Tube Overdrive CM-2 - $99.95
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo - $109.99
Ibanez TS7 - $39.99

EDIT: just thought it wold be a good idea to list the prices. the prices are from
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Apr 6, 2009,
This could be a helpful thread. Right now I'm stuck between a Maxon OD808, A BYOC OD II or a General guitar gadet TS. Which one should I get?
What are you planning on using it for?

The Bad Monkey has awesome bang/buck value as a clean boost - standard level up, gain down fare.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i was just trying to see UG's general opinion, and it would be helpful since topics about Tube Screamers and their various incarnations/clones pop up daily.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Fulltone OCD?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Badmonkey is good value for the price, but the Hardwire CM-2 is much better for metal and other heavy music, and its still cheaper than a TS.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Bad Monkey is amazing. It gets great tone.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Fulltone OCD?

i dont think the OCD is a TS clone. it's a great OD, though.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Don't diss the Visual Sound. They have a comparrison between their Route 808 and a bunch of other TS-clones on their you tube-channel which is pretty good.
Fulltone Fulldrive II is prolly the best clone choice to go with, staying under like $160 i think. has three modes: clean transparent boost, TS, and TS without mid hump i believe.

if you already like the tone of your amp and just want to boost that then this pedal will do perfect. however, if you're trying to change some characteristics of your amp's sound with your OD pedal, i imagine it's not really a TS like pedal you want.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
just to add another option, the tonerider american overdrive is meant to be very good. I haven't tried it, but i picked up their analogue chorus recently and it's very nice indeed- assuming the overdrive is of similar quality, then it's likely to be really nice too. as far as i'm aware, it's TS-based, and is true bypass too. It may be better value in the UK, though, as we get ripped for so much stuff here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FischmungaXTR
Badmonkey is good value for the price, but the Hardwire CM-2 is much better for metal and other heavy music, and its still cheaper than a TS.

Modern or proper (70s, 80s) metal?

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Keeley modded 808...but its not on there....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I'm trying to get a good SRV tone out of it. So Im guessing a 808? since GGG's TS is pretty much the same as the Ibanez TS808 or Maxon OD808 (please correct me if I am wrong) I'm trying to decide between the BYOC or GGG . I'm thinking I should get 2 GGG's. would certainly be cheap enough. The BYOC looks more versatile but do I really need all that extra stuff for SRV tone?
Blackstar distx!

I heard one a while back being used with a !fender! and the distortion was actually amazing!

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Voted for the TS9, since I bought it and found it was the best in my price range, but for the heck of it I'll have to try a Maxon OD808 out now that I've seen this poll
Gear
Guitar: Ibanez SAS32EX
Amp: Marshall JCM800 4210
With the little help from a TS9
Quote by ..NEM..
I hate Swedes.
I tried a Visual Sound Route 808 the other day and honestly I might like it more than my Maxon.

It has a killer buffer on it too and since I no longer have any buffered pedals...

Keeley SD-1
I'd go with the GGG over the BYOC soley on price. The extra features on the BYOC, while nice, aren't really needed.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
TS9, TS9DX, and bad monkey are all common pedals and can be easily found used. I got my TS9DX off of craigslist for 60$. I have seen the bad monkey as low as 30$. Buy used and you will definitely get more bang for your buck.
I got my TS9 for $60 used off of Craiglist, great value for the money.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
I like the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
great this thread is just what i need
im looking to invest in an overdrive 2 use as a clean boost and an OD and i was looking at maxon od808 a fulltone ocd and fulldrive
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Owning two of the abovementioned pedals, I'd say the OCD would be a better clean boost than the OD 808.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Owning two of the abovementioned pedals, I'd say the OCD would be a better clean boost than the OD 808.

but you prefer the OD sounds of the maxon???
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
but you prefer the OD sounds of the maxon???

Here's how I use the pedals:

I got the OCD to push my 800's gain, thicken the tone and add a small bit of drive, so it's never run transparent. However, I know it has more level on tap than the 808 and I also can detect the mid hump even with Tone at just a touch on the Maxon.

I use the Maxon for the same reason I don't like it as a clean boost - to push the mids for leads.

As far as the tone from the overdrive sounds goes, I prefer the Maxon, but only because the Fulltone is basically a Marshally sound which I already have through my HIGH input, whereas I can get classic SRV with the Maxon through the LOW.