I currently have an Epiphone Sg G-400 with a Roland 20x cube amp. What I was thinking of getting was a Gibson Sg Standard with a Digitech Rp-500. Is it worth getting these items? I really want to get a Good Sg to replace my broken Sg. And is the Pedal good? Should I also change my amp to make my guitar sound better through my pedal?
Thanks
Changing amp and getting a new guitar would be the first step in my opinion...how much are you willing to spend on an amp?
I'm not really sure. I have like 2,500. But that is all the money I earned from working and don't want to spend that much. I saw a Gibson Sg Standard for $1200 so I was probably going to get that. And sell my guitar to help pay for it. Depending on the quality of the amp I will pay tops of $400. I would prefer a small amp that I can carry around.
Thanks
if I were you, I would look for a used sg which should be 800-1000 depending on the deal you can find and then add the extra money into a better amp
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The blackheart amps are supposed to be pretty good and around the 400 dollar range.
I wouldn't know because I haven't had the chance to try them but they generally get decent reviews.
I am looking for an amp with a good clean sound. I heard the better the clean sound the better the pedal will sound. I also heard that Fender has really good clean amps. Is that true and if so is it good to get it?
You'd be better off investing in a good amp. Your Epiphone played through a good tube amp will sound a lot better than a Gibson played through your cube.

You say you want a small amp that you can carry around...but that's not going to last. Especialy if you want to play with other people.

And, if you still decide to get a new guitar....I'd check out some other brands before spending $1200 on a Gibson Standard. You can get better guitars for much less.

Quote by Splagl
I am looking for an amp with a good clean sound. I heard the better the clean sound the better the pedal will sound. I also heard that Fender has really good clean amps. Is that true and if so is it good to get it?

You shouldn't get an amp with a good clean sound just so pedals sound better. You should try to get as close to the sound you want with just the amp, before using any pedals.

In other words, if you want to play hard rock or metal - you shouldn't buy a clean amp and rely on the pedal for all your overdrive/distortion. You should get an amp that is already close to the sound you want.

I'm only assuming that since you have an SG, you are interested in playing rock.

If you tell us what kind of music you want to play, we'll be able to point you in the correct direction amp-wise.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 25, 2009,
I play mostly classic rock and some metal not very much. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath ect. I really like the Sg and know that I defiantly want an Sg. I tried many others and prefer the Sg.
I play mostly classic rock and some metal not very much. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath ect. I really like the Sg and know that I defiantly want an Sg. I tried many others and prefer the Sg.

Then you shouldn't be looking at Fender amps.

If you want to sound similar to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc....you should look primarily at Marshall or Orange amps.

Maybe a Marshall DSL 401 combo, Marshall JCM 800 or 900 combo, an Orange Tiny Terror or an Orange Rockerverb 30 combo.

I understand the allure of a shiny new Gibson:

But playing a $1200 guitar through a cheap solid state amp won't be as satisfying as playing a $400 guitar through a good tube amp.

My suggestion: Get a good tube amp and the pedal, then save a little more and wait until you get a little more experience before deciding to buy a Gibson....
Gear

Marshall TSL 601
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Is there a link you can provide me with the JCM800. The only one I found on musiciansfriend.com was a guitar head. And Orange amps are way to expensive. And also where is a good place to sell guitars?
Quote by Splagl
Is there a link you can provide me with the JCM800. The only one I found on musiciansfriend.com was a guitar head. And Orange amps are way to expensive. And also where is a good place to sell guitars?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that they don't make the JCM800 combos any more. You'd have to buy a used one. The DSL 401 would be the next best thing as far as new Marshall combos go. But they're not much cheaper than Orange...

If you really want a cheaper amp, look at Blackheart's 15 watt combo.

To sell your guitar, try craigslist or ebay.
Gear

Marshall TSL 601
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
I suggest a Peavey Classic for the stuff your playing, maybe with an OD like a Ibanez TS9 or Fulltone OCD. Do you really want the Digitech? I personally wouldn't buy the Gibson. If I wanted a SG-model I'd go for a LTD Viper.

I suggest this setup:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/esp_ltd_viper_1000_ow_duncan.htm
http://www.thomann.de/nl/peavey_classic30.htm
http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_ts9_tube_screamer.htm

Pretty respectable if you ask me, €1510 in total, probably cheaper for you if you're in the USA.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Feb 26, 2009,