Poll: Which vibrato set up?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which vibrato set up?
Bigsby
21 66%
Floyd Rose
10 31%
Other (please specify)
1 3%
Voters: 32.
Hey guys,

I want to install a vibrato on my new guitar I got..... I have a Gretsch Special Jet. Its a solid body.

Now, I dont know too much about these two different types of vibratos, so what do you guys think would be best for my guitar? Do the vibratos have different sounds that I should take into consideration because of what type of music I play?

You can check out my profile to see what kind of bands I listen to. And the bands I listen to are basically the sound I want.

I want to have a versatile sound; but Id say my favorite genres to play are acid rock, psychedelic rock, and blues.

So which do you guys recommend and why: Bigsby vibrato or Floyd Rose? Or some completely different one?

And regardless of what kind of music I play.... I guess the main thing is whether its compatable with my guitar or not.

Thanks guys.

Thanks. My guitar is in the shop currently but Im thinking about calling the guy tomorrow while he stlll has it and asking him if hell install a vibrato.
Last edited by aaronob at Feb 24, 2009,
for a Gretsch... bigsby a floyd rose would be a pain to install... alot of money...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
A Bigsby and a Floyd are basically polar opposites when it comes to both mechanical concept and usage...

And yeah, based on your band/artist list I'm voting Bigsby. Also, most Bigsby variants look fabulous on basically any Gretsch.
Quote by Pikka Bird
A Bigsby and a Floyd are basically polar opposites when it comes to both mechanical concept and usage...

And yeah, based on your band/artist list I'm voting Bigsby. Also, most Bigsby variants look fabulous on basically any Gretsch.

Yeah, Im aware of that. But theyre the two most popular ones used, right?

Or is there something else you think would be better?

Im not too knowledgable when it comes to vibratos so I appreciate any help or explainations anyone can give me..... like why is a Bigsby better?
a kahler would work too, similar to a floyd but much less routing.
however, on a gretch, go for a bigsby.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
yeah, but when most people think of Gretschs they tend to think that they have a floating bridge..... mine does not. And doesnt a Bigsby require a floating bridge?

Well, atleast I dont think the bridge is a floating bridge....

I have a couple pictures of the bridge on my profile so you guys can check it out and see....

And heres another picture of it on the Guitar Center site....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Special-Jet-511585-i1147127.gc
Last edited by aaronob at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by aaronob
yeah, but when most people think of Gretschs they tend to think that they have a floating bridge..... mine does not. And doesnt a Bigsby require a floating bridge?

You don't need a floating bridge. A B50 Bigsby will work just fine. That's what's on my Pro Jet, and it doesn't have a floating bridge either. Just a standard tune-o-matic
Bigsby would be easiest to install and would look better, but I'm not quite sure it'd go as low as you'd want it to.
The other option is a Trem King which is essentially a Floyd Rose but without the locking nut. The guitar still stays in perfect tune no matter how many divebombs you do, due to some cool balance and proportion thing.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Bigsby would be easiest to install and would look better, but I'm not quite sure it'd go as low as you'd want it to.
The other option is a Trem King which is essentially a Floyd Rose but without the locking nut. The guitar still stays in perfect tune no matter how many divebombs you do, due to some cool balance and proportion thing.

Yeah, but the Bigsby just OOZES class on a gretsch.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Thus why it would look better.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me