Page 1 of 2
Sorry if there's already a thread on this.

I was browsing Musician's Friend, and I saw the standard P-bass being advertised at $620 USD. I was surprised, and checked the Jazz. Turns out it's now priced at $670.

The guitars have gone up, too.

I heard there would be some price increases this year, but I didn't think they would be so drastic.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this?
It's lame..

I noticed too.

I was looking at a Jaguar bass, and it was like 800 or 900 bucks.
Gross. I was at the guitar store today, and a fretless Jazz was $710. The Jazz 24 V was $910. A 5-string American Standard was $1725. The same model as my Jazz in a 4-string was $2150 - and I paid $1580 back in 2006! A Custom Classic 5-stringer was $3800. The nicest Jazz I've ever played, but jeez.

What kills me is that half of these basses were sitting on the shelf before the price increases. How the hell are these exact items charging more now? What has changed? They're 2008 models and should have 2008 prices. Raise the prices of the 2009 stuff. Hell, they'd probably sell more that way. People would come in and see 2 identical basses with different prices, go wtf?, and buy the cheaper one. Then they're all gone, and the new ones will sit on the shelf until someone wants them at that price. Beats having those same models sit on the shelf.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 24, 2009,
I also noticed that the prices of Gibson SG specials have gone up too, even though there made in the US they used to be like 600 bucks now there like $800-900 which in my opinion is a little over board. But alot of Fender and Gibson stuff is.
Gear:
Ibanez GSZ120
Mitchell MD-100S
Roland Cube 60
Boss DD-7
Weren't the standards like $500 before? Jesus! I was planning on buying myself one for my birthday next month--but I don't have the cash anymore. Time to go secondhand, I suppose.
the jump from 620 to 670 is minimal compared to some of what i've seen. there is no apparent quality increase or anything warranting such price jumps. maybe fender is following in gibson's footsteps. i hope not. i'd prefer fender to stay at they prices they were at, which were totally reasonable. it won't happen though.
gibson custom 1957 les paul goldtop darkback reissue
1981 jcm800 2203
Quote by kylemain
I also noticed that the prices of Gibson SG specials have gone up too, even though there made in the US they used to be like 600 bucks now there like $800-900 which in my opinion is a little over board. But alot of Fender and Gibson stuff is.

Yeah, a friend of mine was fortunate to buy one for around $500 about a couple years ago.

It's a decent guitar, but not worth $900 by any means.
I bought my Mexican Jazz for $350 with a hardshell case, nearly perfect condition.
Used is the way to go.

80th best UGer
Amen to that. The used market's been really good to me
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yep, pretty ridiculous price increase. Squier prices are going up as well.
Don't buy Fender until they make 2 octave necks standard! That is clearly the only solution.

What REALLY sucks is that everyone will follow suit with the price hikes and the consumer will be the one losing. I understand why Fender is doing this, but it is still bull and leaves a bad taste in the consumer's mouth when he has to pay $200 more for the same instrument than he would have 3 days ago. Fender should at least pick up some of the slack and perhaps put BAII bridges on MIM Standards and better pickups. If I'm paying $200 more for the instrument, I want it to be WORTH the $200 more!
yes, you are correct fender has a MAjor price increase for the new 09's

darn u.s economy
Quote by loinmute
yes, you are correct fender has a MAjor price increase for the new 09's

darn u.s economy

The good news is that if the economy keeps going down the ****ter, it will eventually collapse. When it collapses, we can loot all the Fender basses we want for free in the anarchy that follows.
Man, that sucks. I was planning on buying a fretless MIM with my tax return money. Not anymore
EDIT: Seems they haven't jacked the prices on the fretless MIM's. Do you think they will?
EDIT2: Well now. On MF, they have two fretless Standards, one listed at the old price)http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-?sku=516046) and one at the new(http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=501170)
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Last edited by TooFast at Feb 25, 2009,
HAHAHAHA

now feel the suckage of wallet that we UK'ers have to for instruments...seriously though, this is mega-lame!!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I bought my Gibson X-Plorer (okay not a bass) for £620 new, the same guitar now costs £950
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Good thing Im an Iby fanboy
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by coheed218
the jump from 620 to 670 is minimal compared to some of what i've seen. there is no apparent quality increase or anything warranting such price jumps. maybe fender is following in gibson's footsteps. i hope not. i'd prefer fender to stay at they prices they were at, which were totally reasonable. it won't happen though.

It wasn't $620 to $670. For the P-bass, it was around $420 to $620, and about $470 to $670 for the Jazz bass.
I bought an HSS mexican strat a few months ago on sale from GC for $399 now its $599. This is a real shame.
I just got my mexi p-bass a month ago for 290 on clearance at GC...thank god i did or i probably would have just stuck with guitar and never messed around with bass
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...
Geddy Lee sig model like 2 years ago when I started looking at basses was maybe $700.00
now its $1,219.99. RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And my VM Jazz bass is $299.99, looks like I might get that SX to mod. Maybe even go used.
Last edited by ccam555 at Feb 25, 2009,
I think any bassist interested enough in this topic should email Fender about how ridiculous this is, and boycott the new MIMs until the price drops enough or there are improvements added to make it worth the extra money.
Quote by bass_kid92
I think any bassist interested enough in this topic should email Fender about how ridiculous this is, and boycott the new MIMs until the price drops enough or there are improvements added to make it worth the extra money.

Us and TB.
It's just economics. That's it.

When I first started playing, they cost $299 for a P-bass and $320 for a jazz. I paid $190 for a used MIM P-bass and $550 for a MIJ Mustang and $500 for a P-bass Deluxe. I remember the Mark Hoppus bass costing about $500 when it first came out.

It's economics. There are people who say, "I remember when you could get a Telecaster for $150." Same as us, now.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Ironically the prices in the used market are going to go down, people need to sell and they're going to want prices that people will go for. As much as I love Fender this is terrible move on their part.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
#1 The petition is likely to resolve nothing.

#2 Fender want to make their instruments more elite, by making their MIM line the "new" MIA, the MIA the "new" wow-its-a-real-fendor-zomg and the CS the damn-that's-ridicurous. And the new and awesome Squiers are going to take the place the MIM line is leaving. That's why the VM series is so awesome, it's was part of a bigger plan.
Quote by watchingmefall

#2 Fender want to make their instruments more elite, by making their MIM line the "new" MIA, the MIA the "new" wow-its-a-real-fendor-zomg and the CS the damn-that's-ridicurous. And the new and awesome Squiers are going to take the place the MIM line is leaving. That's why the VM series is so awesome, it's was part of a bigger plan.

I agree with you on both points. Though it is a little sad that its the way it has to be.
Hopefully they'll realize that no one wants a MIM bass for that price when their Highway One basses were only $100 or so more than that before they decided to **** over their customers. Especially when there are so many better basses in that price range with many more features.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I agree with you on both points. Though it is a little sad that its the way it has to be.

Where to HW1 and MIA DX stand? HW1s are over a grand and MIA DXs are around/over 2 around here.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Where to HW1 and MIA DX stand? HW1s are over a grand and MIA DXs are around/over 2 around here.

No frigging idea, the market is as stable as Lindsay Lohan's panties. Or lack of thereof.
I'm a little lost here, haven't all the guitar companies raised their prices in the past couple years? Fender's not the only ones. Gibson has, as well.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I bought My MiM P This Christmas and am rather glad i did. Prices on them in most places have gone up by almost 50%; because of the economy etc etc, and the new models which have been introduced at a fairly bad time.

Looks like this p bass will be lasting me a very long time.
Quote by watchingmefall

what he said,

but i signed it anyway

aside from fender who has recently raised prices?
I think if this keeps up, we'll finally start seeing some new faces come up in the market. I've played quite a few "no name" brands that I've been very impressed with...Canvas, Samick, S101, and Johnson are my favorites so far.

As far as the high-end stuff...I'm thinking that when I get to that point, I'm going with G&L. Anyone with me?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2