Howdy all,

I'm thinking of upgrading from Power Tab to another Song Writing Program. I can't really afford the top of the line but I want something decent. What should I be looking at?

* I'm pretty new so the more "user freindly" the better.
* I want to eb able to write and print basic songs.

Thanks!
Guitar pro... hehe

ask in the riffs and recordings section.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Guitar Pro would be one option, there is also I think a light version of Sibelius available.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I posted this in Riffs and Recordings as suggested.

Mod, please close if need be.

PS - Is Finale Songwriter any good?
I wouldn't recommend Finale, it's what I use and the drums sound terrible compared to Sibelius - I'm planning on switching eventually.

Plus the lyric tool is retarded; if you copy and paste a vocal part with lyrics on it, the lyrics become linked and changing one will change the other.
His death, which happen'd in his berth,
At forty-odd befell:
They went and told the sexton, and
The sexton toll'd the bell
Quote by Zilcho
I wouldn't recommend Finale, it's what I use and the drums sound terrible compared to Sibelius - I'm planning on switching eventually.

umm, switching between programs that can both use VSTis because the inbuilt sounds aren't very good is kind of stupid TBH.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
So, between Sibelius First, Guitar Pro 5, and Finale Songwriter, is Sibelius the best option?

Thanks again!
I like finale myself. You can import different sounds pretty easy. While the percussion is definitly a bit lacking, the other instruments sound fantastic for the most part. I have never tried Sibelius but I think it ranks up with Finale 09.
TuxGuitar is free and is very similar to guitarpro

FL Studio is simple (for a DAW) and you can actually write and export real songs (if you have the right vst's).

I've used finale notepad (the light version) and it's good, but I prefer guitarpro and tuxguitar.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.