Sorry to sound like a noob but I'm getting frustrated at the Summer of 69 solo. I cannot get the key and scale that sounds right. I was under the impression that it was in Dm but it just doesn't sound right...

If you could help me out with what the scale and key is for the outro solo I'd really appreciate it.
fairly certain it's Dm.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
If I recall, the solo was major and sus chords, which call for a major scale of some sort.

try D Major.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 25, 2009,
Hi, this is my first post...anyhow I was wondering the same thing and saw your thread, a few years too late, but it's in Dmaj. You can solo in Bminor pentatonic.
Quote by glimmer89
Hi, this is my first post...anyhow I was wondering the same thing and saw your thread, a few years too late, but it's in Dmaj. You can solo in Bminor pentatonic.

B minor/ B minor penatonic is the relative minor of D major. They share the same notes. However the key of the song is D major, and you will always be playing some form of the D major scale over it, not B minor. So even if you were playing the B minor penatonic, you would still in fact be playing the D major scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's quite possibly the most D majory song in existence...I think that Breakfast at Tiffany's song runs it pretty close though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AlanHB
B minor/ B minor penatonic is the relative minor of D major. They share the same notes. However the key of the song is D major, and you will always be playing some form of the D major scale over it, not B minor. So even if you were playing the B minor penatonic, you would still in fact be playing the D major scale.

Thanks for the clarification....Yes, this is exactly what I meant. The B minor scale is the the Aeolian mode of the D major scale, playing the scale from B to B. The reason why I recommend the pentatonic is that it's most useful for rock tunes such as this. But D major, B minor, they are the same.
Quote by glimmer89
Thanks for the clarification....Yes, this is exactly what I meant. The B minor scale is the the Aeolian mode of the D major scale, playing the scale from B to B. The reason why I recommend the pentatonic is that it's most useful for rock tunes such as this. But D major, B minor, they are the same.
Well, not exactly.

The B minor scale is not the aeolian mode of anything. It's just the B minor scale. Sure it has the same notes as B aeolian (the sixth mode of D major), but it's not at all used the same way. Likewise, the B minor scale has the same notes as the D major scale, but they're not at all used the same way.

If you're in the key of D major, then playing the D major scale from B to B is still just playing the D major scale. You have to be in B minor for these notes to be considered the B minor scale.

You can use the relative scale's positions, but you're not actually using that scale, you're using the scale that corresponds to the key. So if you're using a scale position of the B minor pentatonic scale over a progression in D major, you're actually playing the D major pentatonic.

See how that works?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Well, not exactly.

The B minor scale is not the aeolian mode of anything. It's just the B minor scale. Sure it has the same notes as B aeolian (the sixth mode of D major), but it's not at all used the same way. Likewise, the B minor scale has the same notes as the D major scale, but they're not at all used the same way.

If you're in the key of D major, then playing the D major scale from B to B is still just playing the D major scale. You have to be in B minor for these notes to be considered the B minor scale.

You can use the relative scale's positions, but you're not actually using that scale, you're using the scale that corresponds to the key. So if you're using a scale position of the B minor pentatonic scale over a progression in D major, you're actually playing the D major pentatonic.

See how that works?

I can see your point and would certainly not want to dispute your opinion.

I use this convention primarily because it's easier to remember, and if you look at the formula for the B Aeolian scale (6th scale degree) based on the D major scale, it's b3, b6 and b7. The flatted third makes it a minor scale.

At the end of the day music is music...there's really nothing right or wrong about it.
Quote by glimmer89
I can see your point and would certainly not want to dispute your opinion.

I use this convention primarily because it's easier to remember, and if you look at the formula for the B Aeolian scale (6th scale degree) based on the D major scale, it's b3, b6 and b7. The flatted third makes it a minor scale.

At the end of the day music is music...there's really nothing right or wrong about it.

But if you take into consideration that;

1) The song is tonal, not modal. This eradicates any use of any mode, including aoelian or ionian.

2) The song resolves to D, and is major.

The song is in D major, not B minor/aoelian. And this is the right view. And calling it otherwise is the wrong view.
Soundcloud
Who gives a shit?

Whether he decides to play in D major or B minor, doesn't matter since he's playing the same shit either way.

So who cares.
Quote by King Turi
Who gives a shit?

Whether he decides to play in D major or B minor, doesn't matter since he's playing the same shit either way.

So who cares.

It's about the accuracy of nomenclature. When trying to communicate with other musicians, being accurate with your information is important, yeah?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't think Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance (the writers of the song) ever sat down and said to each other, "You know, this song has to be a D major song. It can't be modal, it's a tonal song."

Thinking in those terms to me confines someone to a box and makes it more difficult for the student to be flexible. And while I'm not belittling Bryan Adams (I'm a big fan), it's really only pop music, not Paganini.
Quote by glimmer89
I don't think Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance (the writers of the song) ever sat down and said to each other, "You know, this song has to be a D major song. It can't be modal, it's a tonal song."

Thinking in those terms to me confines someone to a box and makes it more difficult for the student to be flexible. And while I'm not belittling Bryan Adams (I'm a big fan), it's really only pop music, not Paganini.

Head. Arse. Out. Now.

I'd wager that a professional songwriter knows a damnsight more about theory than you do. If you're going to take money off people to write music then you'd better know music, and know it well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 11, 2010,
Quote by glimmer89

Who cares what their intentions are? That's just what it is. Music theory is a way of describing how music is. Just because someone didn't intend for a song to be in a certain key does not mean it isn't.

I don't get the whole "box" thing. You probably are misunderstanding what music theory is.
Soundcloud
>confines someone to a box
you mustn't have written much music, because not being confined when you start is incredibly difficult to work with. You need a topic to write an essay on; you need a melodic structure and tonal centre to work up from when you start writing a piece of music. Honestly, you don't want flexibility yet; work on that when you're writing your "mei" by echolyn.
Looks like there's a big misunderstanding here. Is it so wrong to express a point of view about music? Sure, I'm not big on theory and probably never will be but that doesn't make anyone less qualified to discuss music. Kindly don't mistake my expressing views as a sign of arrogance.
Quote by glimmer89
Looks like there's a big misunderstanding here. Is it so wrong to express a point of view about music? Sure, I'm not big on theory and probably never will be but that doesn't make anyone less qualified to discuss music. Kindly don't mistake my expressing views as a sign of arrogance.

1. Your point of view is an opinion. But the problem is, you're offering your opinion on something that isn't subjective. Summer of 69 is in D major. No ifs, ands, or buts.

2. If you're not big on theory, then yes, you are less qualified to talk about music theory concepts. It's quite different than just talking "about music." You don't have to know music theory to talk about how you like X genre over Y genre. But you do have to have a decent and accurate understanding of music theory to talk about what key a song is in.

Now, to solve the problem: Learn more music theory.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK