I've had a lot of practice amps, all of them SS/modeling amps, all with varying levels of suck.

Up until about a year and a half ago, I was using a Cube 60 set to R-Fier. It was fine I guess. It didn't make me cringe, but it didn't sound too great either, like a not too bad imitation.

I was using this amp for band practice & recordings until we started to get more serious so I finally forked out for an amp I had my eye on for a really long time, Mesa Triple Rec.

I gave my Cube 60 to my father who needed an amp at the time.

Great, I finally sound like a beast. I can't practice at home though, at all, neighbors don't take kindly to metal being force fed through their shattered windows. The Triple Rec is just too damn loud to use at home.

Basically, I'm looking for a GOOD sounding amp, preferably tubes, and mustn't peel the skin off my face (and shatter windows) if I use it at home.

Budget is big. I obviously play metal.

Thanks
Quote by Blackhand
I've had a lot of practice amps, all of them SS/modeling amps, all with varying levels of suck.

Up until about a year and a half ago, I was using a Cube 60 set to R-Fier. It was fine I guess. It didn't make me cringe, but it didn't sound too great either, like a not too bad imitation.

I was using this amp for band practice & recordings until we started to get more serious so I finally forked out for an amp I had my eye on for a really long time, Mesa Triple Rec.

Great, I finally sound like a beast. I can't practice at home though, at all, neighbors don't take kindly to metal being force fed through their shattered windows. The Triple Rec is just too damn loud to use at home.

Basically, I'm looking for a GOOD sounding amp, preferably tubes, and mustn't peel the skin off my face (and shatter windows) if I use it at home.

Thanks

Randall RM20 (if you only need one channel or don't mind switching modules to go from br00tal to clean) or Krank Rev Jr.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by theoreticmusic
how big is big?

I could afford another triple rec, I would be eating dry toast for a while though.

If it costs that much though, it would obviously have to be on par.
Quote by theoreticmusic
how big is big?

I could afford another triple rec, I would be eating dry toast for a while though.

If it costs that much, it would have to be on par.
hm. i'd say for a practice amp, thats a bit excessive. I like the RM20 idea, but you could spend more money and get an expanded version if you like.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
This may be up your alley. 12 watts down to 1/2 and decidedly plexi.

http://www.fargenamps.com/ampminiplex.html

a bit pricey though.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can find a place locally that sells the RM20 or Krank Rev Jr. and give them a try later today, look like they should suit my needs. Doubtful though I'll find them though, because I live in South Africa. Cube 60 is about as "pricey" as the stuff that they keep in stock gets...

If I can't find locally, I'll guess I'll just have to take a risk and go with the RM20 and import (only because its more flexible and I won't be able to hear both first hand myself).
Quote by Blackhand

Right, scott58 so hit it. dead on imo. Specifically the Fargen MK-II. Not that a MK-I wouldn't do it. I tried hard to score one but... Or a multitude of 18 watt plexi cone manufacturers. Who doesn't want that tone at a reasonable volume?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Blackhand
Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can find a place locally that sells the RM20 or Krank Rev Jr. and give them a try later today, look like they should suit my needs. Doubtful though I'll find them though, because I live in South Africa. Cube 60 is about as "pricey" as the stuff that they keep in stock gets...

If I can't find locally, I'll guess I'll just have to take a risk and go with the RM20 and import (only because its more flexible and I won't be able to hear both first hand myself).

It's a purchase you shouldn't regret And you can get modules to get whatever sounds you want (Fender Blackface, Deluxe, Bassman; various Vox tones, Marshall tones from the JTM45 up to the JCM800/900; Peavey, Mesa, Soldano...)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Blackhand

Thanks

Maybe a Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack would work, you would definately get enough gain if you used a boost.

*By the way, the Blackheart Little Giant is five watts and is smaller than an average half stack, it is a great bedroom tube amp.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.