I'm starting a new build (les paul style, flat top), and I have a TOM bridge, and at this point I think I'm going to recess the bridge. Only problem is, I only have a very vague idea about how to do this
Should I just rout out the area under where the bridge will go, and drill the bridge post holes a little deeper? I really have no idea how to do this.

Any advice/instructions?
Heres how I did it

Measure the thumb screw that adjusts the height

Measure the distance between the center of the two thumb screws (or post seperation)

get a block of hard wood, make a mark, measure the post seperation and make another mark

drill holes that are a little bigger than the thumb screw size

Cut straight lines between the widest part of the two holes (so you will have a rectangle with curved ends cut into the wood)

Template should look like this (it says MDF but hardwood is better)

(please note the measurements are for my bridge, and the surrounding template is the minimum size to rest my router on safely, please use your own measurements to make your template.)

Drill the bridge holes in the body and install the bridge

Put double sided sticky tape on the template and place it so it covers the bridge and sticks to the body (dry run first to get it in the right place)

Remove the bridge

use a template follower bit to cut the recess exactly right, and yeah the drill holes will need to be deeper for a recessed bridge.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 25, 2009,