Hey guys, picked up an HT-5 over the weekend for a great price. Now that I've had some time with it, a little brief review.

Fun as balls, lol. That should be the whole review. For the price of a boutique pedal, this thing kicks a lot of ass. Lots of gain, maybe not enough for modern metal, but plenty for a modern hard rock sound. I think it holds down the lowend pretty well until the powertube starts cooking, at which point it gets a little furry. Still a great sound though. Mid gain tones are pretty killer on this little thing. Surprisingly, the cleans are pretty spanky and chimey to a point, obviously not a lot of headroom, but this thing can get pretty loud thru a 4x12.

The ISF control is one of the better sweep/parametric controls I've used. To the left, it gets more of a midrange oriented tone with more presence, to the right, it seems to fill out the lower mids more and attenuate some highend. Very useful feature. The controls are simple and effective, it's one of those amps you can crank everything to 10, and it sounds great. Everything dimed thru a 4x12, gets a great marshall "like" sound. Fun fun amp. Highly recommended if you want a practice/recording amp that really sounds good, and won't break the bank. The thing gets pretty damn loud for a 5W too, but it has usable tones all across it's volume range. Probably would have a hard time with a hard hitting drummer, but as a hard rocking practice/recording amp, it's a winner.

Here's a pic and a little clip I did today thru my Mills 4x12 w/V30 x H30, and boosted with a BB preamp. Guitar is a PRS singlecut with BK Painkiller.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=3063

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Nice, Eric.

I already checked out the clips when you posted it on HCAF
Quote by imgooley
Nice, Eric.

I already checked out the clips when you posted it on HCAF

thanks man
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think I remember you talking about getting one of these. It's kinda cool to see the opposite side of the wattage perspective.

I'll check clips when PC is running better. Looks sexy!

yeah man, this little head has impressed me. It sounds alot bigger than I thought it would for a little 5 watter.
amp clips
amp vids
Congrats on the new HT-5h! That's a great head for the price it's retailing at. While I haven't tried it yet the clips had me on the verge of buying it sight unseen very recently. This review, coming from you and having seen the gear you've had, weighs pretty strong to say the least.
Thank you. I know what my niece is now getting for xmass!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
wow the clip sounds amazing. really great tone. can it get to ear-hurting volumes on clean channel? (even if it breaks up)
With an OD in front of it can it pull off Hardcore/Metalcore?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
sounds damn good. I was considering picking this up.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
good review.

i picked one up the other day too. its great for getting cranked tone at low volume especially with the line out... dime the controls and turn your speakers down on your pc. great stuff.
Thank you please.
Sounds sweet...

Just purchased the HT5 stack, but the amp is currently in the post office and I'm in work!!!
Quote by gregs1020
Congrats on the new HT-5h! That's a great head for the price it's retailing at. While I haven't tried it yet the clips had me on the verge of buying it sight unseen very recently. This review, coming from you and having seen the gear you've had, weighs pretty strong to say the least.

can i be your nephew?

EDIT: Sweet amp. I was looking into one before I tried out the Rebel 20.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 25, 2009,
You bugger! lol what was this about not needing more amps?

Gratz man!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by gregs1020

no problem man, I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I have a feeling these are going to be real popular.

Quote by no_thing101
wow the clip sounds amazing. really great tone. can it get to ear-hurting volumes on clean channel? (even if it breaks up)

thanks man. I wouldn't go as far as ear hurting, but I guess that depends. I had it dimed, and I was able to play a few feet from it without having my ears hurt, but yeah it was loud. However, my ears are probably hammered at this point, I'm used to 100W+ heads thru these cabs, so this was a pleasant change.

Quote by bucketmark
With an OD in front of it can it pull off Hardcore/Metalcore?

that clip was boosted with a BB Preamp pedal, gain was about 2:00 on the amp. I think at moderate volumes, with an EQ in the loop, it can get some pretty usable hardcore/metalcore tones. Once the powertube starts cooking though, it get's a little furry for my tastes, but I think usable. That powertube OD is killer for other applications though. I'm not sold on the loop yet, could be my imagination or levels somewhere, but I think I prefer it without anything on the loop so far. It just seems a touch more aggressive with nothing there. Will say though, my analog delay does sound pretty good on it.

Quote by SchecterZV
Did you find it from a local shop or online?

I got this online from a forumite. I haven't been able to find them in stock.

Quote by JLT73
sounds damn good. I was considering picking this up.

thanks man

Quote by fergus74
Sounds sweet...

Just purchased the HT5 stack, but the amp is currently in the post office and I'm in work!!!

congrats man. Crank everything to 10 and stand back, lol, it's actually a cool tone. What speakers do they use in the matching cabs?

Quote by theoreticmusic
can i be your nephew?

EDIT: Sweet amp. I was looking into one before I tried out the Rebel 20.

haha
how is the rebel? sounded like a killer little amp.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
You bugger! lol what was this about not needing more amps?

Gratz man!

haha, I know man

I was going to get a pedal board, but saw this thing get posted on HC. Was there about 15 minutes and I snagged it, lol.
amp clips
amp vids
the rebel sounded pretty good, but the tube mix was a gimmick (channeling Kevin, here), and it was a pretty noisy little bugger. i felt it was overpriced, so I got rid of it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Not sure what model the speakers are. The Blackstar website just labels then as '10" Celestions' in closed back cabinets.
/\/\ I'm pretty sure the speakers are Celestion G10N-40. Which is the same speaker that's in the Orange AD-5.

As soon as I can find one of these amp's it's gonna be mine...
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by Erock503
no problem man, I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I have a feeling these are going to be real popular.

Agreed. I have a feeling the little Vox tube 4 wattr retailing at $199 will do well too. I'm looking forward to trying both of these little heads out! Good honest review Eric, thanks again.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
the rebel sounded pretty good, but the tube mix was a gimmick (channeling Kevin, here), and it was a pretty noisy little bugger. i felt it was overpriced, so I got rid of it.

ic, yeah, the price is a big factor why I like this thing so much I think. I'd be much more critical if it wasn't so affordable, but even so, I like this head regardless. I had an 18W Badger, and while it was a great sounding little amp, the $1800 was just a little crazy I felt.

Quote by fergus74
Not sure what model the speakers are. The Blackstar website just labels then as '10" Celestions' in closed back cabinets.

ahh interesting. I bet it would sound killer thru 10" greenbacks, I wonder if that's what they use. I'm really liking the G12H30 with it so far.

Quote by gregs1020
Agreed. I have a feeling the little Vox tube 4 wattr retailing at $199 will do well too. I'm looking forward to trying both of these little heads out! Good honest review Eric, thanks again.

ahh yeah, that's the nightrain or something right? I've been hearing good things from the people back from NAMM. I'm actually more interested in that now, this little thing has changed my mind a bit about the tiny amps.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 25, 2009,
Thats what I'm talking about. Great sh*t man, and great playing as always. NJ FTW!!! (Oh damn, we live in the same county too!! haha just noticed that when I checked your profile)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Thats what I'm talking about. Great sh*t man, and great playing as always. NJ FTW!!! (Oh damn, we live in the same county too!! haha just noticed that when I checked your profile)

thanks man. haha, small world! I'm about 10 minutes from 6 flags
amp clips
amp vids
Nice amp indeed, its looking mighty proud of itself sitting on that Bogner too!

WTLTL 2011
sweet, those are meant to be quite nice. i've only tried the artisan 15, i didn't really like it, but it's a completely different style of amp (and i didn't like it more because it just didn't suit me or my style of playing, rather than because it sucked).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mark G
Nice amp indeed, its looking mighty proud of itself sitting on that Bogner too!

haha, thanks, it does look a bit out of place there, I think the whole thing could fit inside the bogner headshell.

Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet, those are meant to be quite nice. i've only tried the artisan 15, i didn't really like it, but it's a completely different style of amp (and i didn't like it more because it just didn't suit me or my style of playing, rather than because it sucked).

interesting. After trying this little guy, it's actually got me curious about their bigger heads. Have you heard or played their series one? I don't think I would dig the Artisan either from the product description, but those bigger heads look kind of interesting.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Erock503

interesting. After trying this little guy, it's actually got me curious about their bigger heads. Have you heard or played their series one? I don't think I would dig the Artisan either from the product description, but those bigger heads look kind of interesting.

nope, only the artisan 15 head unfortunately, through the blackstar 4x12 cab (with v30s, i think). local shop had it in, i think they might be dealers now, so with any luck they might get more in in the future, which i'll try if i get the chance. the shop guys all thought it was awesome, i was just like "meh, it's nice, just i don't really like it"... the cornford carrera i tried next to it destroyed it- at least for the stuff i play. was really loud, lol, i'd have preferred to get to try the 1x12 version with the greenback- maybe i'd have preferred that version. big problem i always have is with stuff which is hyped (like blackstar is), it jades me before i even try it.

EDIT: to get more into why i didn't like it- it had that kind of loose, farty, flubby bottom end which my valve junior has (in both amps, when pushed hard). that's fair enough on a £100 head... not so good on a £600+ one. maybe it's the el84s, i dunno- but i didn't notice it anywhere near as much on the cornford. and i was trying it with a vigier superstrat, it's not like i was using a les paul...

anyway, i guess it just seemed to me to be a pretty decent amp, if it suited what you play, but all the guitar magazines (and even the people in the shop) seem to be acting like they're the best thing since sliced bread, handwired boutique amps for mass-produced prices...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Hesh_09
/\/\ I'm pretty sure the speakers are Celestion G10N-40. Which is the same speaker that's in the Orange AD-5.

Correct.....I taken the back of the cab and it is indeed a G10N-40....

Only played mine for a few hours but I'm very impressed with the amp.

Plenty of gain, not enough for modern metal stuff; but a tele on the clean channel with a bit of OD & chorus kept me entertained all night, well until the mrs told me to shut up anyway!

Shame they didn't stick 12" speakers in the cabs...