I'm intrigued by the SG custom with 3 pick-ups and the Les Paul black beauty.
Is the pickup selector still 3 way?
If it is which pickups are selected in each position?

I love the white SG custom, lovely looking guitar, but does it sound any good?
Rhythm=Neck Middle=Middle pick up Treble=Bridge pick up. I've heard that it sounds like a dream, I mean Jimi Hendrix has played it, and a guy I know from tesla has, but i mean..damn dude Jimmy Page used the black beauty, only thing is, it's heavier then...well it's heavy, we'll leave at that lol
They probably used the Gibson models.

But they're okay
The pickups on the epiphones aren't that great
Seriously though, consider something better within that price range.
Because really, 3 pickups is useless
Quote by pepsi1187
the black beauty has a 6 way pickup config

No, it only has 3. Exactly like the SG.

[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']They probably used the Gibson models.

But they're okay
The pickups on the epiphones aren't that great
Seriously though, consider something better within that price range.
Because really, 3 pickups is useless

I agree, if you're gonna put that money down on a 3 pick up, you're sort of wasting money, I've heard the 3 pick ups, have too much magnetic strength on the strings so it sort of ruins it.
Last edited by SGlover69 at Feb 25, 2009,
Oh I thought you meant real Gibsons. I have owned both of those wonders. '61 LP/SG Custom abd '74 LPBB with P90's.
Anyway, proper wiring for the 3 pup gibbos is with Neck and Middle always together and standatd 3 way switch. And yes, they have a unique sound that is creamier than anything. Maybe that's why the SG shaqpe started with that model as flagship back in '61 when they were supposed to replace Les Pauls.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by pepsi1187
the black beauty has a 6 way pickup config

no it doesnt. my best friend owns one and its a 3 way pup selector

pos. 1=neck
pos. 2=middle
pos. 3=bridge

and the tone/volume controls for the bridge/neck pups are combined for use on the middle pickup, or so my friend says
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
erm well most of whats said is right part from the 6 way thing.....never buy a black beauty unless you have use for the middle pup is the golden rule..

two people i no have had a black beauty and one was a gibbo aswell and they said they could use it for the fact that they had no use for the middle pup as it does give you a weird blendy sound but they do look cool i do admit
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
why 3 pickups?
the only difference i noticed between the SG custom and the G-400 was the middle pickup and the fact that the custom is much more sexy.
same goes with the epi black beauty
i think you could get a better guitar for that price range
I have a nice selection of a few guitars, but my favorite by a mile is the Gibson LP Custom..
The sound on these things is "incredible" and the sustain seems to go on forever.
If you get a chance play one, they're not for everybody but worth a look.
Good luck.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
There's really no point. Buy putting in the third pickup you are actually limiting your tonal options (no more neck& bridge option, which with all four volume and tone controls active at onces gives far more options than just a middle pickup with a volume and tone). It also murders the sustain and dynamic response of the guitar as there is much stronger magnetic pull on the strings at a much mroe critical location, and of course the simple fact you have to route more wood out of the body to take the third pickup.

In other words if you have a SG/LP Custom model and you want to fit more gold plating on there somewhere to show off to people who know jack about guitars, then it's great. But in practical terms it's useless, and anyone who knows squat about guitars will spot it's useless right away.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.