Well I just started playing bass and I need an amp. It will mostly be used for practice by my self, but occasionally it will be used for jamming with 1 or 2 guitars and drums (loud drums) so what wattage do I need? I probably wont be gigging any time soon so I shouldnt need TOO much. I'll be willing to spend around $250 or so and I am trying to look on craigslist. There is a peavey 300 combo for only $95 that I want but it is too big (physically) and its a little out of the way.

Anyways, I am pretty tight on space so are there any amps that are loud enough for jamming/band setting and are pretty compact?
Too big as in takes up too much room. I was looking at the highwatt 30w amp its 30w but it is pretty compact and only $130 :/ Would that be enough wattage?
Alright I think I am going to drive down (100 miles) to the nearest guitar center (so I dont have to ship it so my dad wont know that I bought one) What should I get?

Acoustic b100? anything thats decent but cheaper and loud enough? 100w seems like it might be a little more than Ill really need
A 100 watts, will do, but it will be cutting it. No tones that sound good, it will be boosting the mids. The Peavey would probably be better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Why are bass watts so much lower than guitar watts (well why do they mean so much less)
With the lower frequencies of bass, you just need more power to cut through.
also, if you have a loud drummer, you are going to need at LEAST 200 watt to barely cut it.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
so my local store has some small hartke's (30 and 60w) and some ibanez (sw35)

Hartke seems like the best deal. 30w for about 170. The ibanez is $200. I guess Ill check them out. All of the reviews say that they are perfectly fine for drums and even small gigs. Even the 15w hartke.
Quote by bboyjon
so my local store has some small hartke's (30 and 60w) and some ibanez (sw35)

Hartke seems like the best deal. 30w for about 170. The ibanez is $200. I guess Ill check them out. All of the reviews say that they are perfectly fine for drums and even small gigs. Even the 15w hartke.

I wouldn't bother with anything lower than 100 watts for practice, I have a roland cube 30 and that couldn't be heard properly over drums and singing with no guitar.

Take a look at ashdown, laney and acoustic they all do reasonably priced decent amps.
Is there any way to fit the Peavey? That's an awesome price for an amp like that...

If not, I agree with Badgerific.
Nope, no sig here.
Ok I have decided against those. Ill stick with 100w just to be safe.

So what should I get? The only one in my price range is the Acoustic B100. Is there anything else?

Whats the deal with lower wattages. Theres a bunch of reviews of small amps saying it can be heard over drums just fine. It may need to be cranked a little bit farther but remember...I dont really jam all that often...I will mostly be in my bedroom and possibly be recording.
Thats cause the players are standing mjust beside there amps. You need 100 watts to just cut it. 200 in comfortable. Bass frequenciesa are difficult for the ear to pick up, and we mostly hear the mids. So just boost the mids on you amp when you get mainly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Alright then. Well what amps should I check out when I go to guitar center?
Ashdown, laney, hartke, peavey, swr, all the amps man.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
So I checked out the local pawn shops and found

Kustom kba-100 for $200. I tried it, it didnt sound too bad but what do I know? The effects knob was a little messed up

Also found a fender rumble 100 for $225 (thats a pretty good deal isnt it?) I didnt test it out though. Its so big though

Should I just get the fender rumble or get something else when I go to guitar center next week? $25 more and I can get the acoustic b100 I dunno which is better

Also, does guitarcenter charge tax? If the item online says free shipping?
Quote by bboyjon
So I checked out the local pawn shops and found

Kustom kba-100 for $200. I tried it, it didnt sound too bad but what do I know? The effects knob was a little messed up

Also found a fender rumble 100 for $225 (thats a pretty good deal isnt it?) I didnt test it out though. Its so big though

Should I just get the fender rumble or get something else when I go to guitar center next week? $25 more and I can get the acoustic b100 I dunno which is better

Also, does guitarcenter charge tax? If the item online says free shipping?

If you buy it in store then there is sales tax. You only get the tax free treatment when you buy online (and technically out of state).
Thats what I figured

So yeah, get the fender or get something at guitar center?