hey guys i just want some feedback about whether i should join this band my friend is starting up, i have played electric guitar for about a year but he wants me to play the bass guitar he has, so is this a good idea
Why would you join a band that expects you to play an instrument you've never played before?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why would you join a band that expects you to play an instrument you've never played before?

A friend of mine was invited to play Timpani for an orchestra even though he had never played it before.

If TS doesn't have to buy any gear it's not a stupid idea. Playing with other musicians always helps, and bassists usually end up with better timing with guitarists, so his/her guitar playing could benefit from it.
Quote by Martindecorum
For XP so he can level up

Bass only receives half as much exp without the John Myung add-on (rare drop).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Only if you like bass. If you love to play guitar and arnt really into bass your guna regret not being able to play it with the band espesially if the goes somewhere i.e live gigs etc
do it, bands are fun.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by Archeo Avis

haha yeah, but it might be worth going out and purchasing the Wooten buff, which will help his playing heaps.
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
than find a band looking for a guitarist, or just start one.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
dude try it for a little bit atleast and see how it is
if your not having fun, just don't continue with it
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
stick to ur instrument dude, if u were invited to play for the Killers or some shiet and they needed a bassist fair enough but u play guitar so play that fvcking guitar!
Bassists get the action! 'Nuff said?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
stick to ur instrument dude, if u were invited to play for the Killers or some shiet and they needed a bassist fair enough but u play guitar so play that fvcking guitar!

Playing bass in a band doesn't mean he has to stop playing guitar.

I have a friend who plays bass for one band, drums for another, and guitar in another.

Basically all it comes down to is if you (Thread Starter) want to do it or not. If you don't like the idea of playing bass, then don't. But there's definitely no other reason not to do it.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Archeo Avis

I agree 100%.
Quote by Archeo Avis

lol so true
you are what you is
Quote by Martindecorum
For XP so he can level up

I can't believe it, but that actually made me lol.
Well it'll be another instrument to add to the list of what you can play, and it's easy if you play guitar already and if you're creative it can be loadsa fun.

Plus

Bassists finger better...

I joined a band on bass (have some experience on it) just because I wanted to jam. I got bored as all hell a week later and quit.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.