Hi.
As the title says I'm looking for some general advice on how to get the most out of my current set up. I'm not a new-comer to playing guitar or experimenting with different gear but whenever I play with my band I always feel that I'm doing someting kind of 'wrong'.

I'm currently using an American Deluxe Telecaster into a 1980's AC30. I run the amp at a medium volume (as I need a clean-ish sound) with a Cusack Screamer for a bit of extra bite then an old Guyatone distortion pedal when I really need to cut through. My problem is that as I step up through the different pedals each one has to be slightly louder for the difference to be noticable. So when both pedals are on it's extremely loud, which drives sound men crazy. At a lot of gigs the sound man asks me to turn down after only hearing the (no pedals on) clean tone which then affects the effect the pedals have. I've tried turning down the amp volume and the volume on my guitar but the sound quality just disapears almost instantly.

So, how do you get a good quality, punchy sound at low volumes?

Thanks and sorry for the essay!
Cut the levels back down on your pedals and invest in an EQ or a clean boost to boost the signal when you need it. Also, cut the mids on your amp up a little bit. Odds are good you don't need more volume when distorted, just more mids.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Cut the levels back down on your pedals and invest in an EQ or a clean boost to boost the signal when you need it. Also, cut the mids on your amp up a little bit. Odds are good you don't need more volume when distorted, just more mids.

How do you CUT you mids UP? Cut is reducing so you make me confused

Otherwise I think I agree with what you said. But this is the worst thing about guitar amps and sound. You want to push those valves but you can't because someone comes bitchin at you(which is understandable)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Yeah it's completely understandable that the sound guy/girl asks me to turn down but it's so frustrating that as soon as I roll back the amp volume all the tone, punch and sustain starts to dissapear.
How do 'professional' bands get round this? Is it just working with a dedicated soundman who knows when to push and pull each instrument at the right time in each song? Or do they have magic in their amps?
Quote by cuthbertg
a smaller amp?

It is a smaller amp! I recently downsized from a JCM 800 with a 4 speaker cab to the AC30.

I guess what my point is that I quite often see touring bands playing smaller 250-300 capacity sized venues (the kind of size I play at) who are using similar amps and set ups to me but I never notice these volume/sound quality problems.

For instance, take a band like radiohead who use the same amps regardless as to whether they are playing a stadium or a smaller venue. When they played a low key gig at 93 feet east in London last year , the sounds were all just as powerfull as normal but the on stage volume must have been lower than when they are in a stadium, otherwise they'd blow the heads off the people at the front of the crowd!

Thanks for all your advice. Think I'll look into an eq.