I play Death Metal(flame if you want) And I am looking for a good distortion pedal to get some good grindy and grungy sounds. I don't really have a budget but less than $1.5k is great. Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
you could buy a mean ovedrive pedal, you can set that to a distortion as well, that's what I use. I know it's not the same but it's pretty good if you wanna play metal
1.5k? K means thousand right? So that more or less means any pedal we recommend lol
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Yes K meaning thousand, and just anything good would be great
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Uhh, with that budget, you could buy a whole pedal board.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Uhh, with that budget, you could buy a whole pedal board.

+1

but look into the Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver pedal.

its got a wicked overdrive

i'd also suggest looking at the MXL blowtorch
I play bass!
Ashdown James LoMenzo Signiture Hyperdrive, I can't recommend it enough.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
For death metal, the distortion can't be too extreme, or it will just get buried under guitars.

I'd look at the Fulltone bass drive and the Sansaamp VT. I own and love the former, and the second comes highly recommended.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The Lomenzo is a great overdrive pedal, and comes recommended my mega-deth, so maybe some incentive, though perhaps you have heavier taste?
I own the blowtorch,and it goes from subtle overdrive to controllable but brutal fuzz, and with 18volts has plenty of clarity!
My advice would be,go to yuor local store,and spend time with as many pedals as you can try, but Id recommend both of these pedals, for metal, as has been said, you want overdrive more than distortion, growl not complete fuzzyness
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
SansAmp Bass Driver.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by skippy_moogoose
The Lomenzo is a great overdrive pedal, and comes recommended my mega-deth, so maybe some incentive, though perhaps you have heavier taste?
I own the blowtorch,and it goes from subtle overdrive to controllable but brutal fuzz, and with 18volts has plenty of clarity!
My advice would be,go to yuor local store,and spend time with as many pedals as you can try, but Id recommend both of these pedals, for metal, as has been said, you want overdrive more than distortion, growl not complete fuzzyness

Well, the blowtorch doesn't really do overdrive. Even at the lower gain settings, it is a fuzz sound. It is just so low in the overall mix it is quite subtle.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
boss odb3?
yes, comparitively cheap, but retains the punchy bass as well as a grumbly distortion
aslo very versatile.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
boss odb3?
yes, comparitively cheap, but retains the punchy bass as well as a grumbly distortion
aslo very versatile.

However, it has a pretty poor midrange. It has a very heavy bass end with a load of screeching treble on top of it. It doesn't have any real midrange punch to it, you will struggle to cut through with it.

In death metal, the bass bass is either clean or with a touch (key word) or overdrive. Anything else disappears, and you lose the aggression of that driving bass. Other subgenres like doom metal and grindcore are a different story.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
WIth that budget you could and should buy a darned good amp AND a darned good distortion pedal.

If that's your budget for a DS pedal, I hate to think what your budget for a High-end guitar would be.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

and id say get a bass booster pedal...
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by gm jack
However, it has a pretty poor midrange. It has a very heavy bass end with a load of screeching treble on top of it. It doesn't have any real midrange punch to it, you will struggle to cut through with it.

well in my case when I use the odb-3 I put more mids on my amp´s eq and I get a very punchy tone
ZVex Wooly Mammoth

Sex in a pedal, right there....plus, you have a pedal with a picture of a hairy elephant on it.

http://zvex.com/mammoth.html

edit: It's a fuzz, btw, and is considered by many to be among the best in the world.

edit again: There's also Chunk Systems. They've got some pretty crazy stuff that your wallet will not take kindly to...
http://www.chunksystems.com/

The Octavius Squeezer is possible the coolest pedal ever devised.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by thegiaco2112
well in my case when I use the odb-3 I put more mids on my amp´s eq and I get a very punchy tone

However, unless you have an EQ pedal for that midrange boost, you have to change your clean tone and the tone of all other pedals, which is something I wouldn't want to do.

As for the Wooly Mammoth, it is a fairly synthy, gated fuzz. I can not imagine that working in death metal at all. It also has issues with active basses, as it was not designed for the impedance of them, so gives a very harsh sound.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Really? From the clips of it I thought it'd do well....ah well. I guess that knocks out the Brown Dog/Octavius as well?

I'll keep looking...we're definitely lookingat some boutique stuff here, with a price range like that, even if it's just something modded.

Hey, there's a thought! Can you imagine a Keeley ODB-3?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Ashdown James LoMenzo Signiture Hyperdrive, I can't recommend it enough.

I just looked at that demo you did on it, I see what you mean. I might get one now, I've been looking into getting an overdrive pedal, and something a little more subtle than my Fatman, whose tones range from super brutal high gain fuzz to only moderately brutal high gain fuzz.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
with that budget, get an MXR 10 band eq and a bbe green screamer. yes it is an over drive and made for guitar, but is will give a good grit to a bass. use the eq from there to enhance that sound and tonally, you will have many more options. i played bass in a death metal band for 3 years and did very little as far as distorting my bass, then again...distorted bass in drop-A is just a big fuzzy fart. what kind of anp do you have?
Quote by Aidy Damage
+1 on the Mammoth- it sounds monolithic.

However, I suspect that at death metal tempos, with the guitar sounds of death metal, the synthy fuzz will get completely buried under the guitars, and the gated sound will make it sound a bit too choppy.

While I'm sure it's a fantastic fuzz for other applications, I can't see it holding itself well in death metal.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ya, I don't think you should use distortion at all, except for maybe soloing and stuff. Most death metal bassists actually use a clean tone because it's hard enough being heard as is.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
i would like to say that the boss odb-3 does a better job of death metal guitar than bass by far. I've usedit for that myself. I don't recommend itfor bass in this genre. You could always get an amp with a distortion channel. The peavey vb-2 which i own does a great job on death metal as well as other genres and distortion channel could be perfect for it imo. anywhere from slight overdrive to true distorion. and being all tube it's real overdrive and distortion. yay.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Don't use any distortion, please! You'll just get lost in a fuzzy mess with the guitars, and if you're playing fast it would just sound like a mess even without the guitars. To be honest, you'd be almost pointless with distortion cause no one would hear you. Clean tone is the only way to go in metal I think, especially death, cause you actually bring the low end to the band. A hint of overdrive won't kill you, but it should be from your amp, not a pedal. That's just me, though.
Quote by bass_kid92
Don't use any distortion, please! You'll just get lost in a fuzzy mess with the guitars, and if you're playing fast it would just sound like a mess even without the guitars. To be honest, you'd be almost pointless with distortion cause no one would hear you. Clean tone is the only way to go in metal I think, especially death, cause you actually bring the low end to the band. A hint of overdrive won't kill you, but it should be from your amp, not a pedal. That's just me, though.

Well for those of us who don't have tube amps, a touch of "overdrive" fromt he amps is some pretty horrible clipping. A decent overdrive pedal is far better.

I run my overdrive (which is very mid heavy, despite only being a very mild overdrive) blended with my clean signal, and I find that cuts through much better than just a clean signal, and I have the punch and low end of the clean signal as well.

Distortion can work in death metal, but it either needs to be slight for a bit of grit and grind, or to be tailored perfectly to be most present where the guitarists have cut frequencies.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1