ive heard some people complain that floyd rose trems are a pain to operate. how big of a deal is this? im just wondering because im considering buying a jackson rr3, which has a floyd. just how big of a hassle are these things?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
not that much, probably takes an extra 5-10 minutes to string and tune up compared to a hard tail guitar.

just make sure you block the bridge when you take the strings off, and be aware that you'll have to tune up 10+ times for the bridge to balance out and stabilise.

only thing that's a pain is drop tunings, you'll have to find a higher gauge string or adjust the springs behind the black plate to replace the lost tension in the low E (to keep the bridge level with the body).
Last edited by haz_uk at Feb 25, 2009,
Like the above post said, it will take a little longer to restring. It will stay in tune for alot longer though, the only time you'll need to retune is if you drop tune or w/e. As for losing tension when drop tuning, I can go to drop D without unbalancing the bridge and then back up again.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Last edited by Birchall17 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Birchall17
Like the above post said, it will take a little longer to restring. It will stay in tune for alot longer though, the only time you'll need to retune is if you drop tune or w/e. As for losing tension when drop tuning, I can got to drop D without unbalancing the bridge and then back up again.

No, you can't
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Drop C gives me a tiny amount of fret buzz compared to D standard.

Changing strings isn't that big a deal - block trem / do them one at a time. You only get **** in the face when you break a string and everything else goes out of tune.
Get a Temol-No. They're awesome. I'm not a big trem user, but I like the locking and metal nut of a floyd rose plus the fine tuners. The temol-no gives you all that with the rock solid stability of a hard tail. Plus if you want trem ability just unlock it. 50 bucks very well spent IMO.
Quote by steven seagull
No, you can't

Sorry I forgot you've seen and played my guitar, I actually CAN go from standard to drop D.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
it just takes patience. on my ibanez with the ZR I can go to drop D and back up and it really doesn't change tuning drastically, but it still changes
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Birchall17
Sorry I forgot you've seen and played my guitar, I actually CAN go from standard to drop D.

as usual steve is right, without a D-tuna you cannot de tune your 6th string with out throwing the rest of your strings sharp.....its impossible. You can go to drop d, but you will spend time adjusting all the other 5 and the trem will sink into the cavity.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by JLT73
it just takes patience. on my ibanez with the ZR I can go to drop D and back up and it really doesn't change tuning drastically, but it still changes

the ZR is different from the floyd. its more "hinge-like" it reacts differently to tuning changes
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
the ZR is different from the floyd. its more "hinge-like" it reacts differently to tuning changes

yep it is different, I just wanted to point out that the tuning still changes just slightly
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Birchall17

It isn't physically possible to alter the tuning on an unmodified Floyd without the other strings going out of tune - if you can then congratulations, your guitar defies the laws of physics and I'm sure Stephen Hawking would love to see it.

Either that or your ears suck and you can't tell when you're out of tune.

The ZR trem is a bit different as the zero point system is designed to compensate for that very problem by allowing you to alter the force required to move the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^sounds like somebody doesnt have perfect pitch!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by _Sanitarium_
You don't know that he can't.
I know I can.

You really can't. The other strings will not be correctly tuned, without the trem slanting back into the trem cavity.
To both of those making claims to being able to downtune and retain the tuning, please make a recording as proof. We will soon see who is right.
I have a floyd rose Speed loader on my BC rich and I love it, you can change a string in less than a minute and it comes back in tune, perect for gigs, and taking a spring out of the back takes it to drop c, all being required is fine tuning.
uhh, to those saying you cant go to drop d, my guitar is in drop d atm, and in 10 seconds using the fine tuners you can move it back to standard.... all you have to do is tune it to drop d when you first tune it and use the fine tuner to bring it a full tone sharp, mine can do it and its only a l-fr you people with big expensive ones better be able to do it.

OT : they really arent that hard, ive had my floyd for like a week and i can already tune it like a pro, the first time i set it up its a biotch, but if you do it right the first time its fairly easy to upkeep
~Defiant~
^ Don't you mean a full tone flat?

And yes. You can do that. But that causes all the other strings to sharpen. If you sort all of them out using the fine tuners, the trem will be in the cavity, i.e. not set-up correctly.
i second the recordings idea! even better put a vid on youtube! i bet the whole guitar playing world would LOVE to see a fully-floating floyd go to drop-D without the other strings going out! i would pay just to watch that!

but seriously, its impossible in every meaning of the word. unless of course you have a trem stabalizer(tremol-no, zero resistance system(i think that is what its called),...) then you can drop and raise the tunings every second without worrying.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Aurex
uhh, to those saying you cant go to drop d, my guitar is in drop d atm, and in 10 seconds using the fine tuners you can move it back to standard.... all you have to do is tune it to drop d when you first tune it and use the fine tuner to bring it a full tone sharp, mine can do it and its only a l-fr you people with big expensive ones better be able to do it.

OT : they really arent that hard, ive had my floyd for like a week and i can already tune it like a pro, the first time i set it up its a biotch, but if you do it right the first time its fairly easy to upkeep

umm this guy has no idea. Intonation and action also goes out with a change in tuning.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 25, 2009,