i have a korg ma-30 that i've been doing linear alternate picking exercises with and i'm a little confused on how i should be setting it up.

originally, i had the beat with eighth note ticks.

ex. if i set it at 60 bpm. the metronome will "tick" every second. but in between each tick there is another tick for the eighth notes. so you basically play 2 notes per beat.

so earlier i read this article
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/how_to_increase_speed_using_your_practice_time_and_a_metronome.html

so just to summarize that article, the guy is basically saying that using his program he went from 70 bpm to 140 bpm in 2 days. sure, that doesn't sound completely unreasonable i said to myself.

but then i read that he has his metronome set to 16th notes. (4 notes per beat) so i thought to myself "crap, i've been doing it wrong then".

the thing i'm really confused about is when i set my metronome to 16th notes at 140 bpm it just sounds crazy fast. i don't see how you can go from 70 bpm to 140 bpm set at 16th notes in 2 days?

so when somebody says they are playing something in __bpm does it always mean they have their metronome set at 16th notes?
Last edited by sp4zmo at Feb 25, 2009,
To answer your last question; no. You'll be able to hear whether they're playing 16th notes or 8th notes or whatever by listening to them playing along to a metronome. For example, in 4/4 time, if you hear them playing 2 notes for every beat, you'll know that he's playing 8th notes. If there are 4 notes for each beat, he's playing 16th notes.

Otherwise, if someone tells you that they can play at 200bpm but doesn't state which kind of notes, it doesn't really mean much at all.

The guy is probably just exaggerating in order to promote his program. Don't worry about it. I always practice 16th note licks with the metronome set to 8th notes. It doesn't matter, as long as you keep in time.
Last edited by leephan at Feb 26, 2009,
I suggest not using the extra clicks, just the "beat" clicks. It improves your sense for rhythm by a great amount. Playing with extra clicks would be, let's say cheating, and as the guy before me said, if you hear them play 2 notes per beat (in 4/4), you'll know they're eights, same as 3 notes would be a triplet, 4 would be 16th notes...
I'm confused I'm doing alt picking excercise on a boss tu 80 metronome tuner. How do I set it up best?

I have rythym and beat settings? The settings I have seem to slow and I'm not that fast yet lol
Last edited by Danslash at Mar 22, 2011,
there was spam, I removed it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i think what i mean to say is that on my metronome.. the single (no rythym beats) dont go fast enought about 250, but when i set triplets mode i cant hear the beats clearly....

maybe ill try an iphone app one.....is there any, u guys could recommend??

this one seems good

http://iphoneappsplus.com/music/tempo-2/index.htm

and it can build up the tempo automatically ! ideal for learning fast passages!!
Last edited by Danslash at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by Danslash
i think what i mean to say is that on my metronome.. the single (no rythym beats) dont go fast enought about 250, but when i set triplets mode i cant hear the beats clearly....
250 bpm is plenty.
You don't have to set your metronome at any certain note duration.
(Mine doesn't even have that feature)

You set your own tempo by how many notes per click you play for example:

2 notes per click at 200 BPM = 16th notes @ 100 BPM
1 note per click at 120 BPM = 16th notes @ 30 BPM
4 notes per click at 250 BPM = 16th notes @ 250 BPM
see?
Quote by Danslash
and it can build up the tempo automatically ! ideal for learning fast passages!!
Not really. Not in my opinion.
250bpm is alot unless your just playing quarter notes (1 note per click)

quarter notes - 4 notes per beat
eighths - 8 notes per beat
16th - 16 notes per beat
32nd - 32 notes per beat

If you have trouble playing 16th notes at desired tempo then double the tempo and play eighth notes until you can work it out.
cheers fellas

i think im just going to get that app as it goes up to 800bpm, then i can just set it at single notes, and not worry about doing 3 /4 notes per "click" thats whats confused me before, and my metronome is hard to hear /define anyhow.
Quote by Danslash
cheers fellas

i think im just going to get that app as it goes up to 800bpm, then i can just set it at single notes, and not worry about doing 3 /4 notes per "click" thats whats confused me before, and my metronome is hard to hear /define anyhow.

You need to learn though imo. say when it comes to a jam with a drummer or band and recording.

It doesn't take long to get grips will take you less than a week max.

Once you have that down learn triplets.

1-e-a-2-e-a-3-e-a-4-e-a < Triplet 4/4 3 notes per beat

1. . . . 2. . . . 3. . . . 4. . . . < Metronome set at 4/4

I was in the same boat a few years ago before learning guitar.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Mar 23, 2011,
cheers mate for taking ur time to write that, i do slightly undertstand timings as im learning them out of troy stetina books, but my metronome at anything over 2 beats sounds crap (boss as well) I just prefer playing a note per click, and get faster that way, rather than worrying anout how many notes per click i play, surely thats harder?!

what ive been learning to count by

for triplets

1-trip-let-2-trip-let-3-trip-let-4-trip-let-

for 16ths

1-e-+-a-2-e-+-a-3-e-+-a-4-e-+-a-

is this right ?

p.s ive been playing for over ten years but never used a metronome but now i want to play much faster stuff.
Last edited by Danslash at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by Danslash
cheers mate for taking ur time to write that, i do slightly undertstand timings as im learning them out of troy stetina books, but my metronome at anything over 2 beats sounds crap (boss as well) I just prefer playing a note per click, and get faster that way, rather than worrying anout how many notes per click i play, surely thats harder?!

what ive been learning to count by

for triplets

1-trip-let-2-trip-let-3-trip-let-4-trip-let-

for 16ths

1-e-+-a-2-e-+-a-3-e-+-a-4-e-+-a-

is this right ?

p.s ive been playing for over ten years but never used a metronome but now i want to play much faster stuff.

Yeah thats right. Its up to you how to count it though.

I wouldn't say its harder because it just becomes 2nd nature after you have it down and it really gives you good sense of rhythm and timing.

There a really basic free metronomes online you could use if your boss one sucks.

Playing for 10 years without a metronome damn lol thats insane