I've got about 5 years playing expierence in all. However 4 of them were about 16 years ago. I started back playing a year ago. When first getting back into playing I played a super cheap Jackson JS20 and now I play a not so cheap Jackson DX10D.

I only played the JS20 a short time but in the short time I played it, I noticed that when hammering on some notes, especially 3 to 4 on the G string and in a couple other places (mostly half and whole step hammer-on's), the result is a sour, dissonant tone from the hammered on note. I chalked this up to a cheap guitar.

When I got the DX10, it was a display but the neck was already adjusted and there was no fret buzz. Looking down it there's a perfect very slight forward bow like it should be. The intonation was out pretty bad, but I got that set to within about 3 cents. So all in all, the DX10D is setup as good as it's going to get. To my amazement, the DX10D still has these sour notes when doing some hammer-on's. Granted the DX10D isn't a HUGE step up from the JS20, but unless you're VERY deliberate when doing certian hammer-on's the hammered on note still sounds very dissonant. As I said, this dissonant result is only in a few places along the fretboard (mostly on the G, B, and high E strings) and not on every single fret. Only a few. Most sound great with little effort but some, unless you're very deliberate at placing your fingers in a certian place between the frets, the result sounds like garbage.

So is this in my hands or simply a quality of a cheaper guitar? If it's just a quality of a cheap guitar, maybe I'm starting to see the reason some guitars cost so much.... (a concept I never really understood).

Like a said, I've only been back playing a year, but I practice several hours a day, and I'm not a sloppy player at all. I think I'm getting better every day if you ask me. Also as ironic as it seems, it seems like I can learn songs much faster now than when I was a playing as a teen. I remember back in the day trying for weeks to learn Holy Wars by Megadeth and only ending up frustrated. I'm not going to lie, the program "Amazing Slow Downer" really helps when learning songs which I never previously had, but I learned the whole song (minus solos), in a couple days and it sounds damn good.

I hope all this makes sense.
Last edited by Rick540 at Feb 25, 2009,
I believe your Jacksons both had jumbo frets, so if you play with lower gauge strings and you apply too much pressure on the string, it is posssible for it to go out of tune
Are you muting the other strings? Maybe hammering on vibrates the guitar, which vibrates the other strings...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
You're probably either hammering too hard or slightly bending the string out of tune when you hammer on.

I doubt that it's the guitar. Just practice it slowly and only apply as much pressure as is necessary. It doesn't take much.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ