I was thinking of saving for a custom guitar but I have been told it is very expencive, I looked on Ormsby which is the only custom shop near me and it has a $2200 minimum price for custom shop guitars but I could buy a JEM for $2200. The mean reason I want a custom guitar is because there aren't any rhoads style guitars with a natural finish and decent pickups with gold hardware :P
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
If your decent with wood working you could attempt to make your own. Buy a neck at warmoth or ebay, heck you could even find a rhoads body somewhere if you are a bit doubtful of yourself, and at that point its as easy as assembling everything.

Or you could go with the difficult route and build from scratch.
I don't buy online, I would also prefer something local so I could easily check how it is going and stuff. I have no woodworking experience except making a box in year 8
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 25, 2009,
Stop trying to turn this guy away from the awesomeness of Ormsby! Anyone ever seen the work he does? look him up on here some time I'd highly recommend him if you are getting a custom I'm sure he'd love to do a Rhoads for somebody, as he owns one of the old San Dimas models.

Basically, Ormsby could build you a Jem that would kill any production Jem today.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 27, 2009,
It would cost an assload to import that guitar to Australia unfortunately.

Ormsby builds some fantastic guitars. Custom shop quality is much better than say a JEM.

JEM's are built well, but they're not custom shop quality.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm a massive Vai/JEM fan but i'd still take a custom over it. You can get it completely customised to suit your tastes, and its unique. Other people can go out and buy a JEM, no-one could get a custom the same as yours (well actually they could, but you get the point. I hope)

EDIT: Looking at your gear, you would be better off saving up for a good amp and waiting a while before you get a custom IMO.
Last edited by littlephil at Feb 27, 2009,
Go to some local shops. They might have the names of some other luthiers in your area
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
Go to some local shops. They might have the names of some other luthiers in your area

Very true!!

Its not the name on the headstock that makes a guitar quality. It's the time taken to build it and the materials used. I know a few local guys that will build you a guitar at the cost of materials + about $200 flat fee.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio