I study design at university and as part of our work we’ve had to “create our own brief” which means finding a problem which could be addressed. I’ve decided to go with:

“Why do some people decide not to take up an instrument?”

From my own general findings it has been things such as cost/laziness/time/accessibility, but I think there may be other reasons, and hopefully by starting this thread we’ll get a few interesting discussions!

If you play an instrument:

- What originally motivated you to start and continue till now?
- What instrument(s) do you play and why?
- What kind(s) of music do you play and how did you “get into” that genre?
- Why do you think others don’t play instruments?
- What benefit(s) do you feel you gain from playing an instrument?

If you do not play an instrument

- Why do you feel you haven’t started playing an instrument (I am assuming you are interested in music considering the site this is being posted on, correct me if I am wrong)
- What instrument have you considered playing if any?
- What kind(s) of music do you enjoy and how did you “get into” that genre?
- What do you think would motivate you to play an instrument

And any other points of discussion you would like to bring up

Any contributions to this thread are really appreciated, playing instruments and loving music myself, I’ve always been curious around this issue as I’m sure others are too.
Women.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Because the sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone yaayay
lol i need to stop
.... . / .-- .... --- / -- .- -.- . ... / .- / -... . .- ... - / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... .. -- ... . .-.. ..-. / --. . - ... / .-. .. -.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .--. .- .. -. / --- ..-. / -... . .. -. --. / .- / -- .- -. .-.-.-
Quote by War-Ensemble

It's paid off twice, those 3 years have been worth it

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by carl-eiler

If you play an instrument:

I wanted to learn the song 'Good riddance (Time of your Life) by Greenday
I play guitar, bass and drums and I'm thinking of taking up keyboard as well. I play them because it makes me look cool haha. Seriously though I just enjoy playing music.
I play metal, simply because I listen to it and I'm too lazy to learn anything else.
Because they don't want to or can't be bothered, or playing guitar might not fit into their taste in music.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Cause of Boredom.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I would think everybody on this site plays an instrument. Why bother with the second set of questions?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I would think everybody on this site plays an instrument. Why bother with the second set of questions?

I thought the same too but you never know, maybe some just read the updates, news and forums n that.
And now folks, it's time for a SERIOUS post, for a change!

1) One of my friends started learning the bass, so I got jealous and started learning the guitar...
2)I play the guitar mostly, but I also have experience with the piano and the trumpet.
The reason that I play? Do I have to have a reason?
3) I play blues, 70's rock n' roll, and some jazz, purely because my dad also plays the guitar, and those were the styles that he saw fit to teach me...
4) Most people who don't play any instrument have, in my opinion, two reasons for not doing so: First, their parents tried to make them learn some sort of instrument when they were younger, and that lead them to hate the process of making music more than to love it. Second, they don't seem to have a need to play and compose music to express their feelings.
5) And finally, a non-serious answer: WOMEN!!!
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
I play guitar, Ive wanted to play since I can remember, when I was little I remember thinking of someone being able to play guitar as an amazing feat

the need to be able to express my music the way i hear it in my head

heavy rotation of acoustic/electric, because I love the immense range of sounds a guitar can make

Blues mostly, basically because of led zeppelin, I wanted to explore Page's influences, and I've sort of left that behind to get into folk and other such nonsense

just not musical, or they don't have enough motivation, or time, or money, how the hell should I know?

dexterity, emotional release, intellectually stimulating, a greater appreciation of art

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Women.

I already wrote all this, but I consider this far superior an answer

why all the curiosity TS?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Berlin2222
Because the sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone yaayay
lol i need to stop

This

Seriously..I wanted to play Raining Blood..it was the first song I learned

Other than that, I took my brother's guitar because I was scared he was going to sell it for weed. And I already knew how to play it because they taught us in 7th grade how to play. So if our school took out music, or if I got a different class, I would've never of been into music as much as I am
What originally motivated you to start and continue till now?

my friends played intstruments, and i didnt want to be left out.

bass guitar, i prefer it over guitar, and there are no decent bassists in my area, supply and demand baby!

i play lots of genres, and because i appreciated the talent and energy that goes into the music.

they have other things to do, music isnt the main interest in thier lives or they just think it looks really hard, and they would never be able to compete

destresses me. nothing better in my opionon. my bass has saved my life.
Thanks for taking this a lil more seriously than other threads lol, but women were a part of why I learnt th guitar too, ofcourse.

Any more input is awesome

Thanks