I have been looking at a couple of decent amps for band practise and gigging and i have been interested in these Which ones should I get?

Peavey bandit 112

Peavey vypyr 75

Epiphone valve jr half stack with dis pedal

I play all types of rock and metal like metallica,bonjovi,soad,guns and roses,papa roach,even the cure at times,3 doors down,nirvana just anything with distortion that sounds good lol...

I will be gigging in a few months but for now i only have like $350 bucks and i cant save up because i am running out of time soo which of these three is the best????
You don't want to gig with a 5w VJ. It's doable, but barely.

And those are all very different amps. Hmmm. Either the Vypyr or the Bandit. It's a toughie. I think the Bandit.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
none for gigging. they're all too quiet. the best AMP of the three is the Jr. i have that, it can get pretty loud, and i get great metal tone out of it with a decent pedal in front. for 350 exactly you can get the half stack and either a metal muff or a Sansamp pedal. the vypyr is a great modeling amp, and if you don't want a pedal, then that would be decent.
Why not the 60w Vypyr with powere tubes in it? They are like $450 so you can probably go into a store and talk them down to $400 on it. I think that would be plenty loud and you wouldn't need a distortion pedal with it either.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by cthuludawn21
none for gigging. they're all too quiet. the best AMP of the three is the Jr. i have that, it can get pretty loud, and i get great metal tone out of it with a decent pedal in front. for 350 exactly you can get the half stack and either a metal muff or a Sansamp pedal. the vypyr is a great modeling amp, and if you don't want a pedal, then that would be decent.

er, no....75 and 80 watts, respectively, is enough for gigging. Especially when you're mic-ed in most places big enough for it not to be enough wattage.

Don't judge me.
I actually don't care for any of these amps that much but i do have the Bandit 1x12, and it's loud as ****, and has a pretty decent tone to it.
theres not vyper tube amps at the gc near me... i am soo baffled on what to get now the bandit or ther vypyr??
Quote by Powerstrike
soo now the vj is a better option???

Not for Metal. It's not a metal amp, even with a pedal. And it has no preamp gain.

Don't judge me.
Flextone would be absolutely the best option.

Don't judge me.
peavey windsor halfstack= 100w all tube $399.
and eventually upgrade the head.

80% of gigs are houseparties or pavilions, not much mic'ing going on there...
The head isn't good for metal, and the cab sucks.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
er, no....75 and 80 watts, respectively, is enough for gigging. Especially when you're mic-ed in most places big enough for it not to be enough wattage.

I'd imagine an amp with these ratings is pretty rare! After fifty watts the most common is 100W with the exception of the re-issue Twin which does come in 80 W but would cost >1000.00 USD.
I've had as low as a 15W Fender all-tube and it was a little puny when trying to compete with another guiatrist, bass player and drummer.
30W will allow you to gig effectively with some headroom on cleans depending on the amp itself of course. No one needs more than 50W IMO unless you're playing outside to a couple of thousand people.
Moving on.....
Quote by HowerPower
peavey windsor halfstack= 100w all tube $399.
and eventually upgrade the head.

80% of gigs are houseparties or pavilions, not much mic'ing going on there...

Except for the fact that it sounds like a piece of shit. PARTICULARLY with the original cab.

Quote by KenG
I'd imagine an amp with these ratings is pretty rare! After fifty watts the most common is 100W with the exception of the re-issue Twin which does come in 80 W but would cost >1000.00 USD.
I've had as low as a 15W Fender all-tube and it was a little puny when trying to compete with another guiatrist, bass player and drummer.
30W will allow you to gig effectively with some headroom on cleans depending on the amp itself of course. No one needs more than 50W IMO unless you're playing outside to a couple of thousand people.

Tube and SS watts = different volumes. My 15w tube amp can easily be heard over a drummer + bassist + guitarist.

A 30W SS will struggle.

These are SS amps, you'd need a good 75W to really cut through.
1st. A used tube amp that you can afford that sounds good for your style.
2nd. The Line 6 Flextone.
3rd. Play the Bandit and the Vypyr and see watch one you like.
4th. Epi Valve Junior.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by JilaX^
Except for the fact that it sounds like a piece of shit. PARTICULARLY with the original cab.

Tube and SS watts = different volumes. My 15w tube amp can easily be heard over a drummer + bassist + guitarist.

A 30W SS will struggle.

These are SS amps, you'd need a good 75W to really cut through.

Ha Ha I don't do solid staye for anything but a bedroom amp!
My 15W Fender didn't have a Master volume and I honestly can't remember whether it was a Vibrolux, Tremolux or Reverb but it sounded great (late 60's model) but it couldn't keep up with the band. (we were doing alot of Led Zepplin, Deep Purple and some Black Sabbath @ the time)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Ha Ha I don't do solid staye for anything but a bedroom amp!
My 15W Fender didn't have a Master volume and I honestly can't remember whether it was a Vibrolux, Tremolux or Reverb but it sounded great (late 60's model) but it couldn't keep up with the band. (we were doing alot of Led Zepplin, Deep Purple and some Black Sabbath @ the time)

Plenty of good SS amps out there. (Hughes and Kefner, etc)

I have a Blues Jr. 15w amp, and I've gigged it unplugged. It's got a LOT of volume in it.
Quote by JilaX^
Plenty of good SS amps out there. (Hughes and Kefner, etc)

I have a Blues Jr. 15w amp, and I've gigged it unplugged. It's got a LOT of volume in it.

I think it's Hughes and Kettner. Anyway, they (H&K) do make tube amps that are used by quite a few famous players A Holdsworth , A Liefson etc.
Solid State seems to be preferred by Metal Players though (except BB King who prefers the discontinued Lab Series from Gibson)
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 26, 2009,