I have an RG2550Z, HSH configuration. I want some new pickups, decided on some Swineshead Venoms and a Dragonfly. The way my RG is wired, it uses the middle coil with one of the inner coils of the humbuckers in positions 2 and 4. Is it possible to use the outer coils for extra twang in the bridge and a smoother sound in the neck? I also want to get a covered pickup. Is this a bad idea for a high-gain pickup? I've never seen any high gain pickups with covers before. Would it affect the tone? And if I can't wire the pickups to use the outer coils in position 2 and 4, would the cover have a negative effect on the tone because the pole pieces will be covered? I'm also interested in getting 2 concentric pots so I can have 2 volume and 2 control pots (one for bridge/middle, 1 for neck). Would they fit in an Ibanez control cavity? Is there anything else I should look at while I'm over-hauling my electronics?
Your best bet is to probably email Swineshead direct and speak to the guy making the pickups (I have 2 btw, great pickups) to answer most if not all these questions.

It's possible to split either coil but I've never noticed much (if any) tonal difference between North or South coils. The only point I can think of is hum cancelling, you'd need the split coil to be rwrp to the middle coil to cancel hum.

I'm sure there are dimensions on the net available for concentric pots but iirc they're pretty much just the same as 2 stacked pots so if you have enough space again for your pot, it should fit.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have an RG2550Z, HSH configuration. I want some new pickups, decided on some Swineshead Venoms and a Dragonfly. The way my RG is wired, it uses the middle coil with one of the inner coils of the humbuckers in positions 2 and 4. Is it possible to use the outer coils for extra twang in the bridge and a smoother sound in the neck? I also want to get a covered pickup. Is this a bad idea for a high-gain pickup? I've never seen any high gain pickups with covers before. Would it affect the tone? And if I can't wire the pickups to use the outer coils in position 2 and 4, would the cover have a negative effect on the tone because the pole pieces will be covered? I'm also interested in getting 2 concentric pots so I can have 2 volume and 2 control pots (one for bridge/middle, 1 for neck). Would they fit in an Ibanez control cavity? Is there anything else I should look at while I'm over-hauling my electronics?
using the screw coils rather than the slug coils is not a good idea unless you want to change the middle pickup so you can maintain hum canceling.

rotating one or both of the HBs would be possible if your wires are long enough. that will make the slug coils the outer coils.

you'll probably give up a little of the "quack" by having the coils spaced farther apart in the 2 and 4 positions.

you will get more of a brittle sound from the coil nearer the bridge. but the output will be reduced.

at the neck end, the sound from the coil closer to the neck won't be much different, but the phase relationship will be altered slightly because of the increased gap.

both will result in slight changes in the character of the sound in those selector positions. but chances are, you'll like them slightly less. there's a reason why HSHs are set the way they are. the tones are more useful. experiment if you like. but don't expect too much from these changes, k?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I want to make it more strat like. The outer coils are closer to the position of strat pickups. Right now, I don't use positions 2 and 4 at all, but I use them all the time on my strat. I can get a reverse-wound middle coil, or a regular wound (not sure which it will be) to make it hum-cancelling. I don't want to rotate the humbucker because that changes the sound, but is there no way that I can have the coil split to use the outer coil instead of the inner?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I want to make it more strat like. The outer coils are closer to the position of strat pickups. Right now, I don't use positions 2 and 4 at all, but I use them all the time on my strat. I can get a reverse-wound middle coil, or a regular wound (not sure which it will be) to make it hum-cancelling. I don't want to rotate the humbucker because that changes the sound, but is there no way that I can have the coil split to use the outer coil instead of the inner?
nah, i've rotated HBs and it hardly changes the tone at all. The only change is when they're split, because the position of the coil used being closer or farther from the bridge. in fact you won't hear a damned bit of difference on the neck pickup when rotated, if it's used alone. Even in split mode, moving the position of the coil that far from the bridge is virtually meaningless. it's only the spacing between the coils that matters.

set in your ways about this? fine. do it your way. 90% chance you have a South (normal) magnetic polarity on your middle pickup. CHECK this before proceeding. replace it with a RWRP (north) SC and make the splits on your HBs by shorting from the series link to HOT rather than from series link to ground.

here's a link to the wiring for a RG2550ex. it has the same wiring as the z.

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiring/RG2570.gif
the 7th terminal (counting from the left) is connected to ground.
to split to hot, remove that wire and
connect the 7th terminal to the 4th terminal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I think I'll just get someone else to do it for me, it sounds complicated. The last time I installed pickups didn't go so well. So I don't want to mess up with one of my good guitars