I used to like to buy new because I like the idea of having some warranty and I think I thought new sounded better.

Now, 90% of what I buy is used because I know once I'm bored with it, I can throw it on Kijiji and get back the same $$ I paid for it. You can also get twice the guitar for the budget as well, with the exception of a new guitar I recently purchased at a "going out of business" sale, I can't imagine buying new anymore.

Also, when dealing with a solid wood acoustic, the used guitar will already be "opened up" or partially there at least. Considering some people will actually pay to have their acoustics vibrated, I guess you could consider this extra value that the new guitars don't offer.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
If used I have to play it first. If I buy new, then I'll get any model (As long as I've tried it at least).
I hope that makes sense?

Basically, if I try the model, I'll be fine ordering a new one online. If I'm buying a guitar of the same model for used, then I have to try that used one first.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I generally like buying things new. I know it's much cheaper to buy used, but I don't swap around guitars much. By buying new, I'll know every single scratch and ding on the guitar. Just feels more personal to me, you know?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm with captivate
I got mine new, and I can tell it needs wearing in, but I get the bizarre feeling I'd be upset if I wasn't the one to do it.

That and I don't ever want to get rid of any of the guitars I have, so far only 3, but I could have 30 and I'd still want to maintain them all.
personally i like buying used gear, especially acoustics. over time the wood on acoustics gets vibrated like you said, and it makes the tone of the guitar better. i just bought a 12 string for 80 bucks and its one of the best guitars i have. its about ten years old and its broken in perfectly. it was 350 when he bought it. i if you have hang ups about used gear just buy it new, but you can find some great deals, and great guitars if you take the time to look around and try out a few options.
Quote by roguesound
personally i like buying used gear, especially acoustics. over time the wood on acoustics gets vibrated like you said, and it makes the tone of the guitar better. i just bought a 12 string for 80 bucks and its one of the best guitars i have. its about ten years old and its broken in perfectly. it was 350 when he bought it. i if you have hang ups about used gear just buy it new, but you can find some great deals, and great guitars if you take the time to look around and try out a few options.

I can definitely see the validity there, I'm just dubious, perhaps moreso with acoustic because I know so little about them, I wouldn't know if something was wrong until it was too late in most cases, I can spot the early signs of humidity damage and anything obvious, but that's about it...
Well I bought a LP Black Beauty new in '74 for £405. Then a '61 LPSG Custom as a straight swap in '75. Just saw one on offer at $10,500. So tell me buying used is not as nice as new? You tell me where to buy a new genuine '54 Goldtop. What I mean is, you have to consider both.
Oh and I did really get my Roost 150 head for £80 and my 800w cab for another £80.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I used to be hesitant to buy used but no longer. Got my SG used in mint condition and saved hundreds; in the process of getting a used Taylor GS, also like new. However, there are some instruments I would buy new, especially if I consider them to be a good value in the first place. I have strict guidelines when buying used (non-smoking environment, model year, humidification, etc.) especially with acoustics. I consider electric guitars to be a little less risky to buy used.
I think some people mistook my meaning in this and other threads. I just bought a certain guitar new because it's higher end and semi rare and you simple don't see them in the classifieds. I wanted it, so I went for it. Monetarily I'd take a loss on it if I were to sell, but it's one guitar I plan to keep for many years.

However, I like to play lots of guitars. I want to have experience playing many brands and many models within those brand names. I can't play a guitar for 15 minutes in a music store and feel I've experienced it. I need to bring it home, play through different moods, styles, locations etc to feel I've really given the guitar a full chance. To accomplish this it's far more economical to buy a guitar at a price, play it for 6 months or a year and then sell it at the same price or even profit a bit. Also, with solid wood acoustics, the older ones are already opened up, so I don't have to play it for a year or two before it sounds it's best. You simply won't find a new guitar that is already opened up.

I'm not sure why some people got so hostile about this issue in the other threads, but it's just an opinion, nothing more.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Last edited by Milez5858 at Feb 26, 2009,