So I just purchased my first guitar and I have what is probably a very basic setup question. The action on the heavier gauge strings is significantly higher than the lighter strings. In other words, the height of the action is on a slant. Is this normal? Thanks.
Quote by hbornste
So I just purchased my first guitar and I have what is probably a very basic setup question. The action on the heavier gauge strings is significantly higher than the lighter strings. In other words, the height of the action is on a slant. Is this normal? Thanks.

Yes

Cheers
To a small extent that is correct. The heavier strings tend to vibrate further than the lighter ones so need a bit more clearance.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

After putting on higher gague you also might have some intonation problems. That means that when tuned perfectly, your 12th fret wont have the same note. It would be a little higher or lower than the note its tuned to. If its small it wont cause too many problems but gauge changes usually cause it to happen. On an electric its much easier to change it though.