Hey everyone! So, I'm looking to purchase a guitar for the first time, strictly for casual reasons. I used to play a few years back and would like to start up again at a slow pace, just for personal entertainment. My price range is around $350-370; not very much I know. I don't need an extremely high quality guitar however; something of relatively good quality that will last me awhile and sounds fair is just fine.

I'm looking to play a wide spectrum of music, though mostly alternative and indie/folk rock. Bands like Weezer, Modest Mouse, The Fratellis MGMT, Franz Ferdinand and Mother Mother will definitely be on my list. I also like more soft or pop rock however, like Vanessa Carlton, Eisley, and Regina Spektor. I'm wondering if a mixture of Humbuckers and Single Coils would be the way to go, but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I love my Squier Strat, its a good all round guitar, nice and cheap too, not bad quality either imo
You have an amp? If not then that should be your primary focus.
fender standard hss would be pretty good, i guess. the amp will matter just as much if not more than the guitar. is the amp in your budget too?
Quote by -Savvy-
So, I'm looking to purchase a guitar for the first time, strictly for casual reasons.My price range is around $350-370; not very much I know. I don't need an extremely high quality guitar however; something of relatively good quality that will last me awhile and sounds fair is just fine.

This sounds like quite a familiar story...

First, I need to ask if you have an amp. If you do, $350 could get you one heck of a good guitar. If you don't, some of that might need to be put towards an amp.

If you're good to go, I'd suggest maybe a Fender Standard Strat (MIM) or maybe an Epiphone Les Paul or SG.

Of the 3, I'd recommend the Strat, mainly because it is a quality instrument and it won't break the bank. And, IMO, just as good as an American made Stratocaster.

My overall advice: spend some time at a music store and see what you like. Your budget can get you a nice used guitar, which is nothing to be ashamed of either. Buying used gets you more for your money anyway. If you find a guitar you like, go for it.

Here's proof that $350 can get you one heck of a guitar

If you have any Strat questions, feel free to PM me.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Thank you so much everyone! I do have an amp luckily, so all of my money can go towards the guitar.
maybe a squire strat, one of the better quality ones, there pretty good
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by -Savvy-
Thank you so much everyone! I do have an amp luckily, so all of my money can go towards the guitar.

Great! What amp is it?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix