Page 1 of 2
I have to do a maths essay, and one of the topics we can do is mathematics of music.

Does anyone know any ideas I could write about? Something serious though, not like 'there are 12 tones in an octave, and 12 is a number'

I just have absolutely no clue about where maths is actually something obvious in music
I don't know, i didn't even know that maths essays existed, and I have no clue how to write one, hence this thread.

help?
Write an essay on how stupid and pointless math essays are.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Mention frequencies. When a frequency doubles, the tone is raised by an octave.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Schoolwork is way more important than guitar, I found out the hard way Having to re-sit my A-levels
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Write an essay on how stupid and pointless math essays are.

Then get everyone that agrees to sign it and end maths forever.

You can add my name to that list sir.
http://www.myspace.com/echohead7

GUITARS
PRS SE Camo
Epiphone G400 SG
AMP
Roland Cube 30
EFFECTS
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Danelectro FAB Distortion
Digitech Whammy
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1

Quote by Mister.Y
Imagine your underwear.... naked.
Quote by pontino
Then get everyone that agrees to sign it and end maths forever.

You can add my name to that list sir.

Quote by St.Loony

There are 12 tones in an octave, and 12 is a number

12 semitones.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Music and math both start with the letter M. So now you have M squared. So you have M^2+M^2=0. Minus an M squared from both sides so now you get M^2=M^2 and you can see that M=M so music is equal to math.
Write something about polyrhythms as used by Meshuggah and others!
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
Quote by rabidguitarist
12 semitones.

I took it off TS
Don't hate me, hate the game

(you lost)
how about things like;

why does a certain number of jumps between notes make a major or minor tonality... i have no idea why you would choose to do an essay on maths in music

maybe time signatures or something... mathcore, i have no idea haha
frequency, nodes, anti-nodes, beats, wavelengths, how certain frequencies that are multiples of each other form harmony, and those that aren't form dissonance sounds

sounds like I wrote a paper on this myself....oh wait! I have!
Last edited by Demons&Wizards at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Masamune
Music and math both start with the letter M. So now you have M squared. So you have M^2+M^2=0. Minus an M squared from both sides so now you get M^2=M^2 and you can see that M=M so music is equal to math.

You're crazy, man.
-

Quote by St.Loony
I took it off TS
Don't hate me, hate the game

(you lost)

Yes, but I always thought you were the kind of guy with the level of integrity to correct an error like that.

I guess I was wrong.

(you lost too)
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Yes, but I always thought you were the kind of guy with the level of integrity to correct an error like that.

I guess I was wrong.

(you lost too)

Me? Integrity?... haha Although I admire the compliment ( )

(God dammnit... Foiled again)
Dear God your maths sounds lovely.
Just do some theorising working with wavelengths and numbers in time sigs and changes and that and relate that to the brain and the overall.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by St.Loony
Me? Integrity?... haha Although I admire the compliment ( )

(God dammnit... Foiled again)

Really? Oh..

Because your profile picture is certainly the portrait of a man with integrity.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
dude sound is measured in decibels, and LOGS are used in finding decibels, so u could find out how many decibels are in a Lamb of God live show using LOGS. pretty complicated but it would be awesome.
is this for a music or maths course?

probably talk about the values of notes relating it to fractions. like a semiquaver is like 1/16.

go into time signatures. the difference in grouping notes in a bar of 3/4 and 6/8. the length is the same but its counted differently

in a major scale the intervals between each note form a pattern of major minor minor major major minor diminished.

probably stuff like that!
You could always do a bit on tuning theory (intonation, temperament and whatnot).
Quote by rabidguitarist
Really? Oh..

Because your profile picture is certainly the portrait of a man with integrity.

Awesome... I think?

I think thats the first time someones said that to me >.>

/Is chuffed
Quote by Demons&Wizards
frequency, nodes, anti-nodes, beats, wavelengths, how certain frequencies that are multiples of each other form harmony, and those that aren't form dissonance sounds

sounds like I wrote a paper on this myself....oh wait! I have!

hate to be nit-picky but, harmony is simple classified as at least 2 notes sounding together, whether they are dissonant or consonant, is irrelevant. if frequencies are multiples of each other they are consonant. (maybe thats what you meant)
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Um... music is nothing but a bunch of maths interacting. Different tones == different wavelengths, as has been said. Plus this:
Whole note = 2 half notes = 4 quarter notes = 8 eighths......... = it's just fractions. You could describe a 4/4 bar of four 16th-16th-8th gallops mathematically as 4(1/16 + 1/16 + 1/8).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by St.Loony
Awesome... I think?

I think thats the first time someones said that to me >.>

/Is chuffed

I don't really know what I mean mate. I'm a bit fucked right now. I'm pretty sure I can see round corners.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
besides all the basic stuff with time signatures n cadences etc. does anyone know any references with info about really advanced maths within music, like the logarithms being used to calculate nodes?

I'm not expecting anyone to understand it, just to know where I can get info on it
Page 1 of 2