Page 1 of 2
I play heavy metal / hardcore music and i was wondering what amp i should get.

its got to be a half stack (so a head and a cab) and no more than £700

any ideas??

Cheers
Why does it have to be a half-stack?

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Double EDIT: This guy's 16. You're not gigging by that age. You do not need a half-stack.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
Last edited by thedude97 at Feb 25, 2009,
why does it NEED to be a half stack?

Why does everyone ask this question? Damn, sometimes people just want a half-stack.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by _-Joey-_
why does it NEED to be a half stack?

...because my bands starting to get gigs and i want one.
What do you need a stack for? Playing stadiums?

A combo with around 60W will do for almost all gigs - nearly all of them mic your amp and run in through the house monitors. In most cases, 100+ watts is just overkill.

Either way - you're gonna have a hard time finding a really good stack (half or otherwise) for 700 if you want tube. Maybe try used?

As far as the actual amp, I've found EVERYTHING I need in a Peavey XXX - from metal (progressive, alt., thrash) to blues and rock. It's a hell of an amp, and the only one I use. I got a combo 2x12 for 500 bucks US used, so it's out there, you just have to look hard. Outside of that, Peavey's JSX rigs are nice. Outside of that, Mesa makes some decent combos if you like the mesa tone - they're not very versatile though. A lot of guys swear by B52, and though I haven't played one myself, I've heard a lot of good things about them. I strongly recommend Peavey, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Why does everyone ask this question? Damn, sometimes people just want a half-stack.

Because without a properly sized budget, combos are usually better bang-for-the-buck.

or, they're all bandwagoners.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I like my Windsor for metal/hardcore. Put a boost in front of it and you're all set.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by thedude97

Double EDIT: This guy's 16. You're not gigging by that age. You do not need a half-stack.

yeah i am....their not huge gigs but its still something to do
Quote by bennej1

You don't need a half stack for small clubs or coffee shops, man. Trust me, I've played both. A 100W combo (at most) will do you more than fine.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by thedude97

Why ever not? I have a load of friends who were gigging at that age.
Quote by bennej1

Y'know, Coldplay uses combos...

not that it matters to you.
I think a marshall jcm800 is in your hood.

Don't judge me.
Quote by bennej1

Honestly, I wouldn't get a half stack unless if I was playing for over 200 people and had to push my own sound. I've played gigs for around 300 people and still only used my Valve Junior because it was miked. The only time I've ever actually had to put my Windsor past 5 is when we played for about 450 people with no PA help.

However, I went from a 60W Behringer combo to a Windsor+4x12 so I can't really talk on the half stack issue.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Feb 25, 2009,
ug parrots trying to sound informed: "why do you NEEEED a halfstack?!?!?!"

people do gig at 16, i do.

TC, what's your budget, what kind of music does your band play, what kind of guitar do you have, ect ect informative decision making information ect.

EDIT: not saying you need a halfstack to gig....but i have yet to find the 2x12 combo that can replicate the massive clear low end that a mesa oversized 4x12 gives me.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Last edited by impeachpedro10 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by thedude97
Why does it have to be a half-stack?

EDIT: Beaten to it.

at 16 you can be touring i'm 15 and my band travels probalby 2 or 3 times a month so he could be touring even so its just a better thing to have then a 15w practice amp with a mic
Quote by impeachpedro10
ug parrots trying to sound informed: "why do you NEEEED a halfstack?!?!?!"

people do gig at 16, i do.

TC, what's your budget, what kind of music does your band play, what kind of guitar do you have, ect ect informative decision making information ect.

Parrots becuase we're trying to save him money instead of letting him waste it on something he might not understand he doesn't NEED? If you wanna be the ignoramous that prods someone to waste money, be my guest, but I know that not everyone can just throw it out the window. That's why I'm suggesting a combo instead. You get more for less, as opposed to a stack, which is just exceptionally expensive.

As far as gigging, yes, they do gig at 16 - I did when I was that age. What the other poster probably meant was that he wouldn't be playing venues large enough to warrant that kind of gear.

EDIT -

Did you see his budget? Tell me how he's gonna squeeze a mesa and a 4x12 outta that 700?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Feb 25, 2009,
I hate it when people ask why do they need a half stack? Haha, jokes over we all get it. Kinda overplayed, if they want a half stack, more power to them. Let them get one. Gigging at 16 is possible.

JCM 800 is probably your best bet if you can find one.
Quote by Unskathed
I like my Windsor for metal/hardcore. Put a boost in front of it and you're all set.

+1

Very, very underated amp if you don't mind the absence of clean tones...I a/b to a different amp for my cleans though
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

Very, very underated amp if you don't mind the absence of clean tones...I a/b to a different amp for my cleans though

I was beyond impressed with mine. And our rhythm guitarist seems to enjoy it now too.

nothin like a good halfstack thread to get UG fired up.

people...notice the budget? in POUNDS.
he's in the UK. mesa and peavey are way overpriced there.

Don't judge me.
Are you guys counting those punk/emo/screamo shows that seem to be turning up all over in churches and schools? Sure someone CAN gig at 16, but at a serious level its very unlikely. And I hate to sound like a prick but I cant help it, the guy with the microcube and a G-400 is NOT gigging.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by theoreticmusic
nothin like a good halfstack thread to get UG fired up.

people...notice the budget? in POUNDS.
he's in the UK. mesa and peavey are way overpriced there.

I assumed the Windsor was dirt cheap everywhere, sorry. lol
What's a good European equivalent to the Windsor? Get that.

Edit: If you play for a crowd, it counts as a show. I've played both "professional" and "unprofessional" venues/concerts and I prefer 150 "emo" kids and a K Of C Hall over let's say, Harpo's and 300 people and a dick sound guy who doesn't know anything.

Last edited by Unskathed at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
Parrots becuase we're trying to save him money instead of letting him waste it on something he might not understand he doesn't NEED? If you wanna be the ignoramous that prods someone to waste money, be my guest, but I know that not everyone can just throw it out the window. That's why I'm suggesting a combo instead. You get more for less, as opposed to a stack, which is just exceptionally expensive.

As far as gigging, yes, they do gig at 16 - I did when I was that age. What the other poster probably meant was that he wouldn't be playing venues large enough to warrant that kind of gear.

EDIT -

Did you see his budget? Tell me how he's gonna squeeze a mesa and a 4x12 outta that 700?

the point was not to recommend the mesa, but sometimes there are reasons to have halfstacks other than to make your testicles seem bigger on stage.

on a more productive note.....
JCM 800 sounds like a good choice, also more of an american voiced/modern hardcore amp would be a peavey XXX/JSX, and maybe check out some bugeras or b52 if you don't want to spend as much.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
thanks everyone that has helped.

still unsure what to get...think i might just go to a couple music shops and test some out (combo's and half stacks)

and btw i play an ibanez rg350ex
i can understand why you want one, i want one too right now, but i don't have much space for one & i don't need the power of one & a lot of the people that ask for half stack recommendations usually don't need it & are only just starting to gig & play small venues
I really don't get this, and I am sick of it

The GG&A snobs keep bashing people for wanting a half stack

Who the **** cares WHY he wants one, or WHY he needs on, just ****ing answer his questions instead of questioning his reasoning....you guys are ****ed... no wonder i post on HRI so much more than here now

God damnit

Anyways,

To the OP, I think you should be able to get a decent head and cab for that much, but its best to look around used first...then look to GAK and other UK stores...then to your local shops.

I suggest just going and playing some, you will get a better idea of what you want.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I really don't get this, and I am sick of it

The GG&A snobs keep bashing people for wanting a half stack

Who the **** cares WHY he wants one, or WHY he needs on, just ****ing answer his questions instead of questioning his reasoning....you guys are ****ed... no wonder i post on HRI so much more than here now

God damnit

Anyways,

To the OP, I think you should be able to get a decent head and cab for that much, but its best to look around used first...then look to GAK and other UK stores...then to your local shops.

I suggest just going and playing some, you will get a better idea of what you want.

Just leave then, I'm sure no one will miss you.

TS, while I do agree that a half stack is really really huge, and probably unnecessary, you can get what you wanna get. Uh, let's see. You're in the UK... so, there probably are some good brands to choose from... Laney would be pretty good, I'd think?

Just how big are these gigs you're playing, anyhow?
Quote by impeachpedro10
the point was not to recommend the mesa, but sometimes there are reasons to have halfstacks other than to make your testicles seem bigger on stage.

on a more productive note.....
JCM 800 sounds like a good choice, also more of an american voiced/modern hardcore amp would be a peavey XXX/JSX, and maybe check out some bugeras or b52 if you don't want to spend as much.

So basically you just gave him the exact same advice I did in my first post here, then bashed me for giving it becuase you assumed I think stacks are only to enlarge one's balls on stage.

Nice. Very nice.

I didn't say he SHOULDN'T get one - I said he most likely doesn't NEED one. If he wants to shell out an extra 500 for a half stack instead of a combo, it's his choice. I just cautioned against it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Id suggest goin with a bugera 412H-BK and peavy xxx. the bugera is super cheap, but has good tone for the price. might want to upgrade it eventually, but try it out. just remember to shop around, and make sure you try a bunch of stuff before settling.
again with the peaveys, eh?
?

Randall RG-50TC comes to mind, here.

Don't judge me.
I started gigging at age 14, not like in a bar, but at friends outdoor parties with 100-300 people. There is no such thing as micing a combo amp around here cause no one has a pa system, just another amp for vocals... we use no monitors either and sound fine, people enjoyed are preformances whether they were drunk or not... but how did the people hear my guitar playing you ask? A Half Stack. But yah perhaps a Peavey Windsor or Valve King. Or keep saving and get a 6505+?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by theoreticmusic
again with the peaveys, eh?
?

Randall RG-50TC comes to mind, here.

You know - I almost suggested a Randall, but I wasn't quite sure on the pricing these days.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Oh my god.

STOP SUGGESTING PEAVEYS. The only ones good for what he wants to play are too expensive.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Oh my god.

STOP SUGGESTING PEAVEYS. The only ones good for what he wants to play are too expensive.

Used.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
^ I think he means the Windsor and valve king. I've never played the valve king but from what I've heard its not metal. The Windsor half stack however I used to own. Play it, if you LOVE the sound you hear buy it, if you think "I'll jsut get pedals etc to tweak it to what I like" DONT BUY! There is no tweaking that thing, it always sounds the same (Somewhere between Ac/DC and lynyrd skynyrd)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by strat0blaster
Used.

Eh, a 6505 or XXX with a decent cab is still going to be out of budget used.

He has the incredible fortune of living in the UK, where lots of great stuff is available, and I keep seeing WINDSOR, VALVEKING! LULZ!

Don't judge me.
I'm not going to knock using a half stack. I love mine but for very different reasons. See, mine is loud as hell AND very importantly it fits in a medium size estate car or hatchback. This is not the case with normal 4 x 12's but mine is tall and narrow with offset speakers. I honestly don't give a flying f**k if a 16 year old kid wants to kill his gene pool as he surely will the first time he gigs at somewhere with a spiral staircase. Plenty of those around.
But that's not our concern either. Paying out good money on trash is his personal concern. The fact that he could get a very nice combo that will do all he's asking is his loss.

Oh and 16 is fine for gigging. It Bites started about that age or a bit less and they were not a bad band.

So I salute you young Sir, for keeping the spirit of Rock 'n'Roll alive when all these PC wimps are protecting their ears and other bits.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by tubetime86
^ I think he means the Windsor and valve king. I've never played the valve king but from what I've heard its not metal. The Windsor half stack however I used to own. Play it, if you LOVE the sound you hear buy it, if you think "I'll jsut get pedals etc to tweak it to what I like" DONT BUY! There is no tweaking that thing, it always sounds the same (Somewhere between Ac/DC and lynyrd skynyrd)

I don't agree. The Windsor takes pedals very well, you just have to know how to tweak the amp and pedals. A Windsor can do AC/DC tones as well as some metal tones stock, with a boost it can do metal easily. I use an MXR 10-band with mine as well. Very versatile amps if you know what you're doing...and you don't mind not having 'good' cleans (you can get cleans out of them too, but not as good as most will want by rolling back your guitar volume and backing off the gain/boost on the head; I also use a chorus pedal)
Page 1 of 2