I'm curious on the best way to set up an amp to get the best possible sound.
I've noticed on my b-52 that unless the Master volume is all the way up, or at least above 5, and the channel volume is around 1, I cant get the muted sound (As heard in the opening riff of Smells Like Teen Spirit). It is also harder to hear and make Harmonics of any kind. So how should I have everything set on the amp to get the best out of it?

And what about placement in a room? Where would be the best place to put it?
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
Ask it politely.

But seriously, start turning the knobs in the opposite directions of where they sound bad. You already know where that is.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
There a ton of different techniques, placements, tricks and myths.... Just mess around with it till you find its sweet spot. No one can tell you exactly what settings or even were to place it. Everyones gear reacts differently and everyones home is different..
Quote by xwearesinking
Ask it politely.

Oh dear, I'm sorry
Could you please give me some pointers? Yes, I know to turn them the opposite way of where they sound bad, but what are some generalized tips? I've got an idea of the tone I want and I can mess with the EQ knobs myself. But should I have Master Volume all the way up and Channel Volume down? Or should it be the other way around with Channel volume up?
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
kurt cobain used about half volume on a 50W halfstack of some kind when recording that song i believe.

and if you want the mutes just cup your hand all the way over the strings and use a bit more force with the picking. works for me.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I've tried that. It's Audible, but it doesnt actually sound good,or even like it should, unless master volume is all the way up.
Crank your channel volume and roll off the master.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
My simple solution has always been to start with every knob exactly halfway, then work with the EQ (mids, then bass, then treble). After that adjust the gain appropriately then go on to the power amp section stuff like master volume and presence.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^probably the best method. every amp works differently, even same models from the same brand, so it really can't just be said what will work for you. but generally, working from 12 o'clock on all your EQ knobs will be a good starting point. also, the reason it sounds better with the muting on higher volume is b/c the power tubes are really breathing and putting that thickness and life in your sound, pretty important with that thick muting sound you want.

and what exactly do you mean it's harder to make harmonics sound? do you mean artificial or natural? this may just be a simple EQ tweaking problem, as well as needing a bit of a boost from an OD or some more gain. some amps are much better at producing those nice harmonics better, and your pickups come into play with that too. but really, if it's far from what you want, it's prolly your amp that needs tweaking, if it's close but no cigar, it's prolly things such as guitar pups and needing some boost.

my opinion anyway
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Is your guitar on the rhytym switch? Generally my guitar can't do harmonics or muting on rhythm. Put it on lead (if this is the problem)
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
^a good pup will still put out harmonics on a neck pup, even if it's a lil harder and less audible than the bridge pup. my rhythms aren't as crunchy and nice on rhythm pup, but that's a small price to pay for nice bluesy lead tone
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i use the master full and adjust the channel.... but try both
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION