Alright so I've been wanting to repaint one of my guitars pretty badly lately. Seeing as this would be my first repaint, Im planning to repaint my Squier. I wanted to do something pretty ridiculous. Im never going to play it again anyways. I just want to do something different. So I started reading about glow in the dark painting and I found some information on how to paint so that in the light you see a base color and that in the dark the guitar glows a different color.

Any thoughts guys?
Last edited by jackofclubs at Feb 25, 2009,
Paint your guitar with chalk board paint (its a chalk board in a can!)

Then you can write on it to explain stuff, and stuff
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
I've seen it done, he called the guitar "The Ghost". Very neat Idea, I'd love to use it on one of my next guitars actually.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

Would feel horrible to play though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

this,
you could work stuff out and shred at the same time
I'm sure I've seen someone, probably in Birmingham, with UV designs on his guitar. That was fun as I think it may have been a Goth band. The Tombstones, perhaps.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

that is a brilliant idea,

practical too - how many times have you been at band practice and been like "where's a pen and paper?"
Quote by jimRH7
that is a brilliant idea,

practical too - how many times have you been at band practice and been like "where's a pen and paper?"

Exactly
we could totally patent the idea and make a fortune
Damn, I had a good idea?
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
it's a great idea until you see the cost of the paint. then this sort of projects tend to never start.
Lol. I was slightly afraid of the price too. However my mom said that she would pay. If and when I do it I will deffinitly post pics!

Also... Chalkboard guitar... Write tabs as your playing... xD

Wait a second... I was just thinking. What about doing the guitar in chalkboard, and the pickguard glow in the dark?
Im seriously thinking of doing a chalkboard guitar now. Do you guys think it would be cool/exciting enough? And if I do proceed, Green or Black?

Also.. I wouldnt be able to put a finish over the Chalkboard paint. Would that be bad for the guitar? Not that I care much... Its from the squier starter pack :P
Quote by jackofclubs
Im seriously thinking of doing a chalkboard guitar now. Do you guys think it would be cool/exciting enough? And if I do proceed, Green or Black?

Also.. I wouldnt be able to put a finish over the Chalkboard paint. Would that be bad for the guitar? Not that I care much... Its from the squier starter pack :P

The chalkboard paints tough as nails, I painted a cabinet with it and it gets knocked into all the time. You can get it at ACE for about $5.

It would be sweet to write random **** all over it.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Check out House of Kolor's website. There stuff is mainly automotive, but they do offer glow in the dark colors. Here is the link.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/
Quote by Thomme
I would have liked it more if the leprichaun didn't look like it was trying to take a massive dump on the rainbow. But, kuddos, man.
Go nuts. I say use the black one. Only $15 from target.

http://www.target.com/Rustoleum-Specialty-Chalkboard-Paint-Black/dp/B0006BAEI6

I DEMAND updates on this. I'm intrigued enough to want to try it myself.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I promise guys, I will update! I love UG too much not to lol. Actually, creeping around the customization forum is what pushed me to this. Im so jealous of all the stuff I see done. Time to do something new. My mom said she will buy the paint. And even help in the process. (Basically hang out with me while I spend an entire day sanding lol.) I do have questions though. Do you guys suggest using spray paint, or painting with a brush? I need pro tips!
I would get a sprayer for it. Unless you can find it in a spray can already.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Lowes I believe sells Green and Black for 5 dollars a can. It would take roughly 3 coats to do. So how many cans will I need? Also, is it bad that i really want to do green :P. I already have 2 black guitars sitting in my room. I dont want a 3rd. And come on, we all know old school green would be killer!
Put little black lines across the chalkboard paint like in elementary schools, that would be so sweet! I think you should take the pickguard off the guitar, and hope it's not pool routed.
you could probably just paint the pickguard, too...
And I'm all for Green!
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Im debating if its a good idea or not to paint the pick guard with the ChalkBoard paint. I wish Jim or someone else would tell me xD.
I'd say try it first on some spare wood lying around or something. Wouldn't wanna mess up on your first re-paint. Sounds like a kick-ass idea.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Well.. I did a bit more reading. Turns out the **** works on plastic too. I wonder if I would need to even use a primer coat. What do you guys think?
Try it on something else, first.
If for some reason you can't, then i'd scuff the surface lightly before you spray the pickguard. Just seems to make sense.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Damn, it would be sick if there was a glow in the dark Les Paul Custom.

I would purposely make my gigs look like a rave, even though we would be playing punk rock.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
^Dude, I have a plan to make my next gig look like a rave. Strobe light ftw.