I understand that overdrive pedals are intended to push tube amps...I get that...trust me...I GET IT!!...so i don't need the standard "don't even bother with overdrives through solid state amps" response... most people (mostly tone-snobs) act as if running an overdrive pedal through a solid state amp is like pissing into the wind...which can be very annoying to many hobbyists out there (most of us) who have no realistic desire to buy a tube stack, start a band, and blow out some windows!... Most of us are limited to practice amps at moderate volume levels, and enjoy messing around with our gear to find great tones...

if it's impossible to get a good tone out of an 'overdrive-thru-solid state' setup, can someone please explain how this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03JGP2UE00 is possible?...

look closely... he is running and overdrive pedal (MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive) into the overdrive channel on his 15w solid state amp (Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack)... yea, there are some other pedals in there to add color to his tone, but that is some ballsy distortion... granted it doesn't equal his JCM 800 stacks...but it's still a lot of tone coming out of a little 15w solid state PRACTICE amp...

please explain...
i just dont get it. to me that sounds like crap.

but yeah you can, and i have run ODs thru solid state amps. it's like a more mild version of a dist pedal on a SS practice amp.

he's also got his pickups too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the "don't bother with overdrives through solid state amps" is wrong, idiotic, i don't know why so many n00bs keep on saying it.

overdrive pedals are not intended to push tube amps, which is another stupid bit of misinformation that seems to have flourished on UG for some reason - overdrive pedals are actually intended to simulate the breakup of a tube power amp, without having to crank up the amp. meaning overdrive pedals into a solid state amp is a good idea, especially when you have an amp like a fender frontman which has nice cleans but ****ty overdrive.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I used to have a metal zone ( which alot of folks on here hate) running through a Crate GX series combo amp, and pulled off some the coolest tones. I have a Peavey XXX tube head that sits there collecting dust, while my Bandit 112 gets hammered every day!
My philosophy is, your tone has more to do with the particular set of digits you own, and how you use them, other than any amount (or lack thereof) of gear. And this even includes the hated MG amps as well! just my opinion though.
Quote by Thomme
I would have liked it more if the leprichaun didn't look like it was trying to take a massive dump on the rainbow. But, kuddos, man.
I like the sound of my Tubescreamer through my solid-state Fender, granted its never as good as through a tube amp but it gives my sound a growl and a little edge that I can't find with a distortion pedal.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
how can you call that tone "ballsy"... Its really bad, just excessive distortion. Tone is often mixed up with amount of distortion by those without real experience.

his tone just sounds really fizzy and undefined.
Quote by Blompcube
the "don't bother with overdrives through solid state amps" is wrong, idiotic, i don't know why so many n00bs keep on saying it.

overdrive pedals are not intended to push tube amps, which is another stupid bit of misinformation that seems to have flourished on UG for some reason - overdrive pedals are actually intended to simulate the breakup of a tube power amp, without having to crank up the amp. meaning overdrive pedals into a solid state amp is a good idea, especially when you have an amp like a fender frontman which has nice cleans but ****ty overdrive.

This man nailed the topic like it was Paris Hilton.

Nice job man.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Eek my Yammy sounds better through my Cube! But I do have a metal pedal for my Yale SS and Roost.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Blompcube

thanks!... that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
^^^ While thats true you can also use an OD pedal as a boost, so it DOES push your tube amp too.

IF you turn the gain down and the level up its boosting you signal from your guitar to the amp.

However I dont mind an OD with a SS amp.
Any pedal that boosts output level can be used to push a tube amp. And likewise can cause harsh clipping in a SS amp. OD pedals do both. They generate distortion on their own and can be use to overdrive a tube amp and stack distortion stages. But distortion pedals do exactly the same thing. But since overdrive pedals usually have milder distortion a lot of people gravitate towards them for combining with the amps distortion. That's why people are so confused about the term overdrive.
Quote by blackened43085
I understand that overdrive pedals are intended to push tube amps...I get that...trust me...I GET IT!!...so i don't need the standard "don't even bother with overdrives through solid state amps" response... most people (mostly tone-snobs) act as if running an overdrive pedal through a solid state amp is like pissing into the wind...which can be very annoying to many hobbyists out there (most of us) who have no realistic desire to buy a tube stack, start a band, and blow out some windows!... Most of us are limited to practice amps at moderate volume levels, and enjoy messing around with our gear to find great tones...

if it's impossible to get a good tone out of an 'overdrive-thru-solid state' setup, can someone please explain how this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03JGP2UE00 is possible?...

look closely... he is running and overdrive pedal (MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive) into the overdrive channel on his 15w solid state amp (Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack)... yea, there are some other pedals in there to add color to his tone, but that is some ballsy distortion... granted it doesn't equal his JCM 800 stacks...but it's still a lot of tone coming out of a little 15w solid state PRACTICE amp...

please explain...

Zakk's tone sucks. Whether he is running a micro stack or JCM800. His tone is not good.
Quote by Blompcube

Agreed. Think for yourself and try stuff out, don't automatically dismiss an idea because of bandwagoneers here.

The one thing you usually do want to stay away from is layering overdrive over gain on a solid state amp. Usually for an SS amp you want it clean before layering OD.
Quote by hunter33
Agreed. Think for yourself and try stuff out, don't automatically dismiss an idea because of bandwagoneers here.

The one thing you usually do want to stay away from is layering overdrive over gain on a solid state amp. Usually for an SS amp you want it clean before layering OD.

I've heard that as well...but if you watch the video, there is no way he has his pedals running into the clean channel...on it's own, the Wylde Overdrive pedal doesn't push that much distortion...he has to be going through the overdrive channel on his amp to boost the distortion... when he cleans it up, he does so with the guitar's volume knob... he's not switching to the clean channel (there is no foot switch for the Micro Stack...) which tells me he's going through the amp's overdrive channel.

why is this a bad idea?
Quote by blackened43085

please explain...

Because Zakk is known for using a well known trick of stacking picks under his wah pedal or setting it to a set placement to mimic a tube amps tone. Plugged straight into that amp its sounds nothing like that.

And a side note about OD's and SS amps... Some SS amps love OD pedals but a majority hate them. So its always a hit and miss. My old randall and my new Ampeg love a little bit of boost out front. Really tightens up the mix and adds in a bit of clarity. But will that work for a different amp, who knows until you try. Because if you never step out of the box then whats the point of even picking up a guitar...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 25, 2009,
Zakk's tone is ass. I agree. Especially in that video. But that other guy in that other vid testing his bareknuckles through the MG? That was pretty good.

Solid states are fine with OD's as long as you don't try to use the OD as a boost. Personally, I find my OD does the most for my tone, when I have the level up, to push my tube amp, plus the drive up at about 1/4 to add a little drive and tighten the sound a bit.

Love it.

Od's mostly just sound better through tube amps, because mostly, tube amps are better amps. I know there are some good solid states, I'm totally aware, but most solid states are cheap starter amps, and a lot of tube amps are farther along, and have better tone to start with, therefore better with the OD.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by enselmis
how can you call that tone "ballsy"... Its really bad, just excessive distortion. Tone is often mixed up with amount of distortion by those without real experience.

his tone just sounds really fizzy and undefined.

+1, on most of the amp models i use on my pod, my drive never gets much further than 12:00, a lot of people are like "d00d, you gotta have drive on 10 for that metullz grind!!!!11one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Blompcube

+1. You always say this but no one ever listens.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Blompcube
overdrive pedals are not intended to push tube amps, which is another stupid bit of misinformation that seems to have flourished on UG for some reason

Well...I think it's because a few users on here use OD pedals to boost their signal prior to going to the amp's circuitry, and some people took that to be their only purpose.
I do agree however, that Zakk's tone on that video leaves a lot to be desired.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Artemis Entreri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6Q293ZA5U&feature=channel_page

awesome MG tone. Even though I still don't like their sound.

Awesome tone?

It sound slike ****. My Vox DA5 gets better clean tones and it's battery run.

Quote by Blompcube

This man knows what he's talking about

I use my Fulltone OCD with my Cube 30 if I'm too lazy to hook up my Blues Jr.
Works fairly well.
Quote by lespaul#1
+1. You always say this but no one ever listens.

i dont know about that. i mean, i dont think anyone here said you cant do it.

i think sometimes guys get a little one note, but that's to be expected.

anyway, i thought the second mg clip sounded ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Blompcube

+1

it just so happens that a lot of overdrives, with the gain low, can also give a pseudo clean boost, which works nicely on tube amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?