Hey, im still new to bass and on the advice of my teacher i need to look into different styles of music and their basslines. He suggested latin and reggae so i can hear different styles of basslines and the way they fit into the music. Are there any bands you guys can suggest from the above genres that are good/interesting also bands from any other genres have interesting basslines or different styles would be welcome. Cheers!
there's alot from pink floyd

money is one of the best known basslines
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Stir it up - Bob Marley and the Wailers
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Most ska songs have good bass lines. Check out Streetlight Manifesto if you want some challenging lines.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Was listening to the gorillaz earlier, the got some nice lines.
Quote by Shinobi1791

Damn you Sludge Metal community! We want Trent Reznor back.
Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
seriously, the bass before the first verse is just insane
Bedouin Soundclash and State Radio is modern reggae with cool bass.

+1 on Streetlight too.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Jaco Pastorius. He's jazz.
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Bedouin Soundclash and State Radio is modern reggae with cool bass.

+1 on Streetlight too.

+1. I haven't heard of Bedouin Soundclash but State Radio and Streetlight are excellent.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 25, 2009,
Earth wind and fire
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
learn some death metal

really, itll take you playing to a totally different level

cryptopsy: phobophile
cryptopsy: slit your guts
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Feb 25, 2009,
Dub Trio have some nice basslines, have a look for Mortar Dub
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
check out are you in by incubus. Absolutely awesome bassline.
also the best punk bassline (and solo) ever 'maxwell murder' by rancid
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
So What by Miles Davis is a classic and has great bass, although it's upright. That shouldn't really matter unless the point is to listen to other ELECTRIC bass players.
Almost everything from rush has catchy and fun to play bass lines...you could try it.
Je parle français, excusez mon language inaproprié quand je m'exprime en anglais.

What is and what should never be By Led Zeppelin is awesome. girls and boys by Blur is pretty awesome too!! Charles Mingus in another great bass player. 5:15 by the who has an awesome bass solo, as well as "My Generation" Jaco Pasturius is the hendrix of bass, so that would be a good starting point. I recommend "Teen Town" and "Donna Lee" which are both pretty hard. but sound so cool.
Quote by faultyy
Dub Trio have some nice basslines, have a look for Mortar Dub

Another Dub Trio fan

Stu Brooks has an insane pedalboard, Ill try and find a picture
(Invalid img)
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Feb 25, 2009,
how bout some Iron Maiden? Alot of galloping basslines, very fun and interesting to play.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Quote by ScottB.
Another Dub Trio fan

Stu Brooks has an insane pedalboard, Ill try and find a picture

I want to know what effects he's using on that track, it's probably the lowest bassline I've ever heared
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I don't know alot of latin music so I will just a name a song with a nice latin bass line. Darkshines by Muse. This is probably one of Wolstenholme's greatest basslines and it gets very little attention.

As for reggae... Alot of Bob Marley and the Wailers. Aston "Family Man" Barrett is a beast. I saw the Wailers last month and he just blew me away the entire time. For more modern music I would say look up Pasafire and try to tab out their songs. The Supervillains have some good basslines that aren't too difficult.

I don't know much reggae, but I'm trying.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
the clash??? Paul Chambers is essential to finding time, space,and tasteful groove.
Thanks for all the reccomendations il try an get a look at most of them and learn sum tabs
Quote by loinmute
the clash??? Paul Chambers is essential to finding time, space,and tasteful groove.

Paul Simonon
Quote by guitarhero_764