Page 1 of 2
I dropped my Jackson DXMG off at guitar center to put 11 gauge strings on ( because I'm lazy ) I've never used 11 gauges before.

But here's what I need help with, I don't know if they took all the strings off at once, or my 11 gauge strings just raise my Floyd Rose.
Last edited by Slaymonte667 at Feb 25, 2009,
Solution: don't be lazy. Replace your own damn strings.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Everyone at that guitar center sucks at their job, probably only 1 cool person there that knows what he's doing. I told the guy that changed my strings to put it in Drop A tuning and he didn't know what the hell that ment. So my guitar out of tune.
Quote by food1010
Solution: don't be lazy. Replace your own damn strings.

^^^
Exactly right.

Why can't you spend 20 minutes to put new strings on?
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
wait. your lazy, so instead of changing the strings your self, you drove to guitar center? and paid to get them changed? the hell kind of logic is that? and tighten the springs in the back. now dont be lazy and change your own damn strings.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
what size strings did you have on there before?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Slaymonte667
No, I didn't pay them anything.

Maybe that's why they decided to do such a ****ty job on it.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
This is the kind of people that suck. Fools that call themselves "guitarists" and talk about the nice gear they own, scales, tunings, .10 or .11 gauges because they are tough guys and bla bla bla...

But they don't even know how to put strings or to adjust a bridge. And you wanna be a rock star?? oh yes, probably you need a guitar tech for your first school performance man.

Last edited by dynamo0 at Feb 26, 2009,
How do you tune? 11's on a Floyd type bridge, tuned to standard are going to have a lot of tension. And will most likely pull your bridge way forward. You might be able to tighten the springs. And maybe even add a spring or two to compensate the extra tension.
There's my way and the wrong way.
if you changed gauges then yeah that would raise the bridge, you need to adjust the springs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Replace your own damn strings and now you need to fix it yourself or bring it back.
Quote by dynamo0
This is the kind of people that suck. Fools that call themselves "guitarists" and talk about the nice gear they own, scales, tunings, .10 or .11 gauges because they are tough guys and bla bla bla...

But they don't even know how to put strings or to adjust a bridge. And you wanna be a rock star?? oh yes, probably you need a guitar tech for your first school performance man.

Play nice, now...

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Play nice, now...

Then guitar hero will make it
you guys need to back the f*** down. This guy just needs help with his guitar because GC jacked up his bridge, you don't have to rip him apart.
TS: if you upgraded your strings to something heavier you should be able to fix it by taking the back plate off and tightening the spring claw in the back.
Quote by Thomme
you guys need to back the f*** down. This guy just needs help with his guitar because GC jacked up his bridge, you don't have to rip him apart.
TS: if you upgraded your strings to something heavier you should be able to fix it by taking the back plate off and tightening the spring claw in the back.

Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
not guitar centers fault on this one,..who the hell would sit there and adjust a floyd without being paid, WHEN THEY WORK ON COMMISSION...it takes a decent amount of time to tune a floating bridge, especially when changing over to a larger string gauge...my advice is to read the how to tune a floyd sticky and learn how to do it on your own
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
They're not paid comission anymore.
The techs at GC are terrible go to a local shop if you want some good techs that will actually do things the right way
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Thomme
They're not paid comission anymore.

when did they change?
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by dynamo0

Relax newbie its gonna be ok

I agree the kid just wants some help, its not neccessary to flame him
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
You most probably need to get your truss rod adjusted if you have just changed gauges.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Since the guitar needs a fair bit adjusted, just do a full setup.

What you need to do first is adjust the Floyd baseplate to where it is flush to the route because of the new string gauge, and to be sure the tension on the neck is proper for the trussrod adjustment:

Tighten the screws on the trem claw about a turn.
Retune
Tighten Again
Wash Rinse Repeat until the baseplate of the trem is about flush to the route.

The extra tension will yank up on the Floyd. You're intonation likely needs overhauled as well, but let's deal with that later. Now that your string tension is in order, adjust the action to where you like it, then put a capo on the first fret. Depress the string at the 14th fret, and then measure over the actual, 8th, metal fret. Your clearance should ideally be around .010." If not, loosen/tighten the truss rod as needed, going no more than a fourth turn each time, then check it again. I try not to go more than a half turn a day and give the neck time to set and adjust.

If you needed to adjust your neck, you'll need to make sure the trem is adjusted back into being flush, though this time take a bit more time and get it perfect. If you didn't need to touch the neck and didn't get it quite perfect, you'll need to now.

Now for intonation. You need to find what the current intonation is at the 12th fret, slacken the string, loosen the saddle screw, adjust the saddle, tighten the screw. Do this for each string, and probably several times on each for that matter, until it is close to being intonated. Remember, it's better to be a little flat than it is sharp.

EDIT: You can do everything the same way for future setups, but you don't need to approximate the trem baseplate flush to the route unless you changed string gauge.
Last edited by CJRocker at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
The techs at GC are terrible go to a local shop if you want some good techs that will actually do things the right way

as much as i agree with this you have to consider that even local techs suck. i've have 2 pro setups done. one on my squier strat when i was still a newbie, and even I knew it wasn't done properly.

2nd one was when i went to Parsons guitar shop. very well known shop in seattle, got a Pro Setup with a tremsetter installed. not only did my guitar not stay in tune, it had fretbuzz like a Mofo

i just learned how to do **** myself. but for more serious repairs like cracked necks and such, i'd still leave that to the tech.

not all are bad though. i have an amp tech that's VERY good at what he does. considering his 30-40 years on the field
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
This has nothing to do with GC as a whole, just the store you happened to go to. When I bought my Hellraiser from my local GC, they put new 11's on for me and set it up perfectly....FOR FREE. Not all GCs are bad, that's like saying all McDonald's are terrible b/c one random chick didn't wear her hair net and a nappy lock made it into your McFlurry.
Quote by twinturboaudi
when did they change?

at least a year ago. Kid I knew is highschool used to work there, while I was shopping for an acoustic I ran into him at Naperville Music and I talked to him about guitars a while, told me 'bout how he worked at guitar center, I made a comment about it being comission and he corrected me.
Quote by Thomme
at least a year ago. Kid I knew is highschool used to work there, while I was shopping for an acoustic I ran into him at Naperville Music and I talked to him about guitars a while, told me 'bout how he worked at guitar center, I made a comment about it being comission and he corrected me.

completely wrong, they are still working on commission.
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by zhunt1130
This has nothing to do with GC as a whole, just the store you happened to go to. When I bought my Hellraiser from my local GC, they put new 11's on for me and set it up perfectly....FOR FREE. Not all GCs are bad, that's like saying all McDonald's are terrible b/c one random chick didn't wear her hair net and a nappy lock made it into your McFlurry.

completely agree...my local gc has some very knowledgeable people, and some not so much
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
yeah guitar center isnt even supposed to be putting them on anyway.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by HyperBoy2519
yeah guitar center isnt even supposed to be putting them on anyway.

i would think for a liability issue
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
completely wrong, they are still working on commission.

really? He said that so many people were undercutting prices just to get comission that the company wasn't making as much money as they used to, so, they got rid of the comission pay. Might just be in certain areas. Where do you get your information?
Add me to the choir singing "Replace your own strings, ya lazy bastid."

..And really, it can't just be laziness. You're sitting down the whole time. How much lazier does it get? This coming from a fat man, even. The KING of lazy.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Add me to the choir singing "Replace your own strings, ya lazy bastid."

..And really, it can't just be laziness. You're sitting down the whole time. How much lazier does it get? This coming from a fat man, even. The KING of lazy.

Honestly who in the hell would pay someone $70 to CHANGE YOUR STRINGS? Are you serious? Thats like a 20 minute task at most.

I pay a guy $10 to change mine every month just because I cant stand changing strings I have no clue why.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Changing strings seems like a daunting task at first to new guitarists, especially if you're dealing with a locking nut and FR bridge. I remember, the first time I changed my own strings, I was freaking out because they kept going out of tune and I was afraid I did it wrong. I also had GIANT speghetti balls at the tuners, cause I didn't know you had to cut them.

Don't add me to the chorus of people calling the TS a lazy bastard, add me to the, "it's a good idea to learn to do it on your own, but I can understand your hesitance regarding the matter."
I don't know why people always insist on saying all Guitar Center employees suck, I've ran into a bunch of really cool, helpful guys who know their stuff, but yes, I've still gotten the Jerks who don't know anything too.

Like when I bought my Strat, the guy who helped me was really nice and helpful and made sure everything was set up properly before sticking it in the gig bag and handing it to me.

Anayway, add me to the "Change your own strings" group
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
I don't know why people always insist on saying all Guitar Center employees suck, I've ran into a bunch of really cool, helpful guys who know their stuff, but yes, I've still gotten the Jerks who don't know anything too.

Like when I bought my Strat, the guy who helped me was really nice and helpful and made sure everything was set up properly before sticking it in the gig bag and handing it to me.

Anayway, add me to the "Change your own strings" group

I fully agree with you. Last time I was GC, I was extremely pleased, the guitar sales girl was really nice and talked guitars with me and seemed competent, not pushy at all. The accessories salesman was awesome, too. Knew his **** and sold me a bad monkey at $20.

Time before that, the "acoustic" guy couldn't tell me jack about any other the guitars and tried to convince me that the set-net dowel rod acoustics were just as sturdy and sounded just as good as an acoustic with a dove-tail joint and suggested I check out the "Mitchell" acoustics when I was looking specifically at Epiphone Masterbuilts and low end Martins.

Time before that, I asked about the differances between the older British made Voxes and the CC2's and the salesmen told me that the CC2's were better made amps with better features. I plugged in, played one chord, looked at him and said, "You're kidding me, right?"
Quote by Thomme
Changing strings seems like a daunting task at first to new guitarists, especially if you're dealing with a locking nut and FR bridge. I remember, the first time I changed my own strings, I was freaking out because they kept going out of tune and I was afraid I did it wrong. I also had GIANT speghetti balls at the tuners, cause I didn't know you had to cut them.

Don't add me to the chorus of people calling the TS a lazy bastard, add me to the, "it's a good idea to learn to do it on your own, but I can understand your hesitance regarding the matter."

No I can do it I just dont like doing it at all
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
No I can do it I just dont like doing it at all

well, if you know how to do it, then you wouldn't have to be on here asking for help regarding a botched GC string change.
Quote by Thomme
well, if you know how to do it, then you wouldn't have to be on here asking for help regarding a botched GC string change.

I believe you have me confused with the TS?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Page 1 of 2