Well I'd like to buy a nice tube amp for home practice and band practice.
It'd have to be a combo. I'd like it to give a good quality sound, maybe even a boutique amp?
I play mostly classic rock, blues and then anything but metal.
Budget is 1000$ tops (I don't know how much I really need for that kind of amp)

How much wattage would be good for home practice and band practice?
Can you recommend me some non-boutique and boutique ones?

Thanks
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
DEFINITELY a Peavey Classic 30.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
as a metalhead, nothing immediately comes to mind for those genres
but 30-40ish watt amp will do quite fine
edit: Fender Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Feb 25, 2009,
Try a Vox AC30. If it has enough Headroom, get one. If not, go with the Classic 30 mentioned above.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls
Try a Vox AC30. If it has enough Headroom, get one. If not, go with the Classic 30 mentioned above.

i would imagine that the ac30 has more headroom than a classic 30.
Check out Peavey, Traynor, Fender for pure tube tones under $1000.00 There's probably others too of course but IMO I'd stay away from "modeling" amps and choose carefully if looking into hybrids (SS/Tube mix)
30, 40 or 50W is all you'll probably ever need. A single 12" speaker is the minimum size I'd go. 15" inch (Like Mesa Boogie) is great too but I doubt you'll get a MB for <1K. You can always add an extension cabinet later.
Moving on.....
So 30W? Wouldn't it be loud for home? If I want natural overdrive, that is.
Would 5-10W be enough?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
ENGL Thunder
Peavey Classic 30
Mesa Express
Mesa F-30
Mesa F-50
Mesa DC-3
Mesa DC-5
Traynor YCS50
Traynor YCV50
Peavey Delta Blues
Mesa Lonestar
Mesa Electradyne
Budda Superdrive 18 or 30
Check out Divided by 13
And 65 Amps.

Tube amps have a 'volume' knob for a reason... look for these used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by shoolocomous
i would imagine that the ac30 has more headroom than a classic 30.

Really? I thaught the Peavey has more I never got a chance to try a Classic 30, but I believe someone told me about the bigger headroom of the Classic 30. I could be wrong, though.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by Raijouta
ENGL Thunder
Peavey Classic 30
Mesa Express
Mesa F-30
Mesa F-50
Mesa DC-3
Mesa DC-5
Traynor YCS50
Traynor YCV50
Peavey Delta Blues
Mesa Lonestar
Mesa Electradyne
Budda Superdrive 18 or 30
Check out Divided by 13
And 65 Amps.

Tube amps have a 'volume' knob for a reason... look for these used.

Have you ever actually tried an Electradyne? How can he get one used, are they even out, lol? Other than that, good list, although some of these used are still close to $1000 or more.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by MCRibz
So 30W? Wouldn't it be loud for home? If I want natural overdrive, that is.
Would 5-10W be enough?

It would be loud at home but you would need it for practicing with a band
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
What about 15W? Loud enough?...just wondering

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
What about 15W? Loud enough?...just wondering

Well it depends. If you play a lot of clean stuff, then possibly not, especially with a drummer and bassist, and definitely not with a second guitarist. If you only want overdrive, then it could work.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Deluxe Reverb beats Hot Rod and Blues Deluxe. They're $950 new, and $500 or so used. And headroom? He plays rock and blues, saturation is a must.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Cutlass_253
Have you ever actually tried an Electradyne? How can he get one used, are they even out, lol? Other than that, good list, although some of these used are still close to $1000 or more.

1. Nope; from what I've seen and heard, though, they're good for rock and blues.
2. Probably not.
3. Thanks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by lespaul#1
Deluxe Reverb beats Hot Rod and Blues Deluxe. They're $950 new, and $500 or so used. And headroom? He plays rock and blues, saturation is a must.

That would probably be a good amp for practice (nice natural overdrive. I like DRs, friend of mine had one of the older reissues). But then, what about at home, lol. He'd never be able to crank it there! Unless he got an attenuator, but I've never used one of those.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Actually, I'd like this amp more to be a home practise amp. So I guess 5-10W? Do you guys know of any good ones?
Also, could I jam around with a few friends with that power?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
do you play just clean or if you like a natural od you could try orange tiny terror combo its a 15watt might need an eq pedal to go with it if you like messing with the eq
Well, then that's different. It really depends. 5W is still loud, but you can use it to play at home (and maybe crank it, depends on exactly which amp it is). If you want to "jam" with friends, then 5W is fine, but it won't provide the power and versatility for a full band setting (unless its a jam band I guess).

What I'm really trying to say is the more people you play with, the higher power you need.

The biggest thing is whether or not you're gonna play with a drummer, or in front of other people. As far as I know 5W will get you over a drummer. BUT, add a bass and singer, and all of a sudden you're competing for space. 5W will be loud, but it might not cut through when you're surrounded by sound. Especially a 12" combo.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Quote by justinb904
as a metalhead, nothing immediately comes to mind for those genres
but 30-40ish watt amp will do quite fine
edit: Fender Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30

A Fender Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe for home practise? They're both too loud for that.

Fender Blues Junior all the way. Kills the Classic 30 for most things.
Yeah, I'd say if it's primarily home practice, go to guitar center and try out a blues junior. If it's too loud then get a 5/10 watter. If it seems about right then you know 15W is ok for what you want. You might want to looks into whether you prefer 6V6's or EL84 tubes (which are the lower wattage tubes that you find in smaller amps) and if you like a more British or American voicing. You might even want to an amp with a good preamp drive for home practice, that will still sound good cranked.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Why spend $250- 300 on 5Watts? You'll outgrow it very quickly. These kinds of amps are really designed for recording where you can crank them and get a killer sound or just for private practice. If you go 20 - 30W (tube) minimum you'll be able to use it for most thing and it's probably only another 150 -200 on top.
BTW I own a Peavey Bravo112 (22WRMS all tube - discontinued) and I love it. Apparently they can be had sometimes for ridiculously low resale prices used 200- 300.
Eevn if it needs new tubes in Canada it's ~ 90.00 and in the US about 60.00 (EL84 x2, 12AX7A x 3)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Why spend $250- 300 on 5Watts? You'll outgrow it very quickly. These kinds of amps are really designed for recording where you can crank them and get a killer sound or just for private practice. If you go 20 - 30W (tube) minimum you'll be able to use it for most thing and it's probably only another 150 -200 on top.
BTW I own a Peavey Bravo112 (22WRMS all tube - discontinued) and I love it. Apparently they can be had sometimes for ridiculously low resale prices used 200- 300.
Eevn if it needs new tubes in Canada it's ~ 90.00 and in the US about 60.00 (EL84 x2, 12AX7A x 3)

15w Tube is plenty.
I'm pretty it's gonna be for home practise only, so 5W.
What do you recommend (combos please)?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by JilaX^
15w Tube is plenty.

You should read Guitar Players review of the Fender all-tube 15W amp from a couple of months ago! One of it's concerns they noted was it was the lowest volume 15W amp of the bunch they reviewed. Due the efficiency differences, not all amps of the same wattage are the same loudness levels. Class A amps are the least efficient of all.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
You should read Guitar Players review of the Fender all-tube 15W amp from a couple of months ago! One of it's concerns they noted was it was the lowest volume 15W amp of the bunch they reviewed. Due the efficiency differences, not all amps of the same wattage are the same loudness levels. Class A amps are the least efficient of all.

I guess that's why I've gigged my Fender 15w Blues Junior unmicced
It keeps up with the Hot Rod series, as long as you don't crank them too much, which you're not allowed to do at most gigs anyways.
Also, for your needs I'd look at a Blackheart Little Giant, or a Blackheart Handsome Devil.

I'd go for the Devil because it has a master volume control. Like most 5w tube amps the LG, doesn't have a master, just a volume. Which means that to get any overdrive you need to crank the amp a bit. It does have a 3w switch to help with this though.
Could I crank the Little Giant if it's switched to 3w (at home)?
Is it a decent-sounding amp?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I was looking for the same thing and ended up getting the Egnater Rebel 20. It's adjustable from 1-20w. Even on 1w it gets pretty loud, but still manageable for home use and that's low enough to get some real power tube distortion, not just preamp tube distortion like you get with a master volume on these other amps. At 20w it should be plenty loud for band practice and even gigs in small venues (or mic it for larger gigs). And you could always add a 4x12 cabinet to it if you need a little bit bigger sound.

It's a nice little setup, and you can get it with a 1x12 cab for well under $1000. They go for $850 at GC ($600 for head, $250 for their 1x12 cab with Celestion speaker), but I took advantage of their trade in deal last month and ended up getting it for about $750.