Alright so i've got a gibson SG special faded. and I have enough money to buy bare knuckle mules, the only thing is, I have a roland cube 20x so it won't come out until I use my friends amps. Hes got some kind of vox amp and a fender champ 30, so that's why I'm thinking of maybe not getting them.

What do you guys think, you think the pick ups will be able to bring this guitar alive? I mean the current pick ups are great, but with the money I'd like to make this thing better then any gibson sg
I'd say invest in an amp first, it will have a greater impact on your tone than upgrading your pickups. After a new amp, then you can get new pickups.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
i actually have the same guitar with riff raff pickups in it. and man those barenuckles are amazing. you defiantly want to upgrade your amp too to get the most of your setup.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The thing is, I can't always crank my amp when I'm in my room, so I'm not sure how well I'd sound if I did get an enormous marshall stack (just used that as an example)
Quote by riffmasterjosh
i actually have the same guitar with riff raff pickups in it. and man those barenuckles are amazing. you defiantly want to upgrade your amp too to get the most of your setup.

So you're saying I should do it?I mean of course at a little later I'd work up for a new amp, but I mean with the money now should i go bare knuckle or big amp that probably won't get it's full potential used?
Quote by SGlover69
So you're saying I should do it?I mean of course at a little later I'd work up for a new amp, but I mean with the money now should i go bare knuckle or big amp that probably won't get it's full potential used?

A small combo tube amp should come first. Don't get a huge stack, there's really no need for one, especially with just playing around.
I’ve taken some comfort
modeling amps like the cube and the vox wont react very much to the new pickups, so i'd suggest putting that money into savings for a tube amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Alright tube amp it is then. Thanks guys, I mean I think my guitar sounds good on the model amp, so i wonder how it'll sound on a tube combo y'know?haha

Thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by SGlover69
Alright tube amp it is then. Thanks guys, I mean I think my guitar sounds good on the model amp, so i wonder how it'll sound on a tube combo y'know?haha

Thanks for the advice guys.

It will only sound better. You're making a good choice :]
I’ve taken some comfort
Unless you're in the UK and Bareknuckles are extremely cheap there, I'd recommend the WCR Crossroad, Lollar Imperial or Wolfetone Dr. Vintage all over the Bareknuckle Mule.

Bareknuckle's PAF repros don't really impress me that much. At least any moreso than any other custom wind.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Unless you're in the UK and Bareknuckles are extremely cheap there, I'd recommend the WCR Crossroad, Lollar Imperial or Wolfetone Dr. Vintage all over the Bareknuckle Mule.

Bareknuckle's PAF repros don't really impress me that much. At least any moreso than any other custom wind.

I completely agree. While Bare Knuckle makes some phenomenal pickups, their straight up PAF derived ones aren't worth the additional money and wait over similar custom wound pickups available in the US.

The high output stuff is where Bare Knuckle really shines. The Miracle Man, Pain Killer, and Nailbomb are all outstanding, but suited to slightly different purposes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by al112987
Unless you're in the UK and Bareknuckles are extremely cheap there,

and even if you're in the UK, there are other options too- rock monkey, shed, bulldog, swineshead etc. to name a few.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 on Shed pickups. I am actually looking to get a Shed PAF daddy neck. They're priced very well. I wouldn't mind trying out some Rock Monkeys either.
^I learned a lot from spence (Shed). If you want the relic look on your pickups you won't find anybody that does that better. He is one of the few that really know what they are doing. It's great fun seeing him and Dave (SD pickups) arguing about PAF's because Dave says they have to be hand wound and Spence is convinced that the majority of PAF's were actually hand wound. It doesn't really matter much I guess but it is a good time.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
modeling amps like the cube and the vox wont react very much to the new pickups, so i'd suggest putting that money into savings for a tube amp

I agree and disagree. Depending on what type of pickups, such as single coils, humbuckers, passives and actives, you will notice a big difference but going from passives to better passives there is minimal difference.

As for the pickups.... tough call. Knowing me, and how I am, I would probably buy something else before i can get pickups, despite how bad i want new pickups. I really want to buy a set for my carvin but I always find something else before I buy em. If you're like me, you should go ahead and get the pickups while you have a chance, just because you will probably be into bigger and better things down the road. If you're not like me, and you want to get the best sound possible for your current situation, you should look into a better amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by al112987
+1 on Shed pickups. I am actually looking to get a Shed PAF daddy neck. They're priced very well. I wouldn't mind trying out some Rock Monkeys either.

yeah, i was considering those for my edwards too. I'll probably cheap out and get a tonerider alnico IV for the bridge until I can justify dropping ~£150 on two pickups (as the JB is by far the bigger problem, the '59 isn't amazing, but it's close enough).

ditto on trying the rockmonkeys, i'll probably get some RM single coils for my tokai, again when i have spare money (and get round to it).

to cordy- is it shed or SD which argues that PAFs were/weren't handwound? I think you did a typo there, lol- i'm guessing that spencer/shed says they were handwound as his pickups are hand/scatterwound... but could be wrong, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SGlover69
Alright so i've got a gibson SG special faded. and I have enough money to buy bare knuckle mules, the only thing is, I have a roland cube 20x so it won't come out until I use my friends amps. Hes got some kind of vox amp and a fender champ 30, so that's why I'm thinking of maybe not getting them.

What do you guys think, you think the pick ups will be able to bring this guitar alive? I mean the current pick ups are great, but with the money I'd like to make this thing better then any gibson sg

To an extent, you've answered your own question. It really will be far more worth it in the long run to get a new amp (and judging by the fact that you play an SG I'm guessing a Vox and Fender won't do the job anyway). The pickups in the SG are good and aren't worth upgrading until you already have a good tone and are looking to add polish.
And btw
In an SG, Riff Raffs are much better than Mules or really anything else until War Pigs. Honestly, those two pickups just sut the SG.