so my band is in the middle of recording an album, and to record the first half's worth of bass tracks i used the DI out the front of my MAG 300 head.

now.

i have an friend interested in buying my Peavey max 115 and with the money i want to buy an Orange crush 35b. how would the line out of the orange sound compared to the DI of the ashdown for recording

i know they would sound different because of the different tones because they are obviously different amps, but would the quality be worse because of using the line out?
I play bass!
Quote by Gilthresa
Mic your cab

For bass you normaly do both, as mic-ing a bass cab needs ALOT of calibration and high quality mics

Normal just best to go for the DI and get a modelling program like Gearbox
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I prefer DI with a balanced input (XLR). I find it gives the most accurate representation of my tone. If you do decide to go the mic route, you can do it fairly well with a Shure SM-57 (or similier calibur mic) positioned properly in front of the cab. As far as line out, I don't believe that will give as good a tone as a DI/XLR setup, but I haven't really tried it so I can't give a solid opinon there. If possible I'd suggest trying it before you go all in.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Well first try out the DI on your amp head and go into the interface that you are using. If not i would say put a nice Shure or AKG(boy do the germans make good mics) there and mic your amp in a dead room or a nice padded room.
Last edited by fudger at Feb 25, 2009,
no need to make a new thread about the orange crush.

anybody know the speaker out jack ohm independence?
I play bass!
^Its usually somewhere between 200 and 600 ohms
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115