I searched a bit (searchbar/google) but failed to find anything so I resort to UG!

Apart from less frets, are there any differences in the amount of frets on a neck if the scale is the same? e.g. 22 frets on 34" scale and 24 frets on a 34"scale.

Is it possible to shorten a neck by removing frets which would in turn decrease the scale? If so what is the shortest scale possible on a bass guitar? Would this help even out very neck heavy bass'?

I do however realise that your suppose to get better tone with larger scale necks and that a bolt-on would be required. I'm just rather inquisitive.

Thanks Bass Boffins! I am forever wallowing in your wisdom!
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
ok lets start at the top

number of frets has nothing at all to do with scale length. you could have a 40" scale with 2 frets if you wanted.

the only way to shorten the scale of an existing neck would be to cut a chunk off the heel

if you want a short scale that badly go out and buy one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Edgey_15
I searched a bit (searchbar/google) but failed to find anything so I resort to UG!

Apart from less frets, are there any differences in the amount of frets on a neck if the scale is the same? e.g. 22 frets on 34" scale and 24 frets on a 34"scale.

Is it possible to shorten a neck by removing frets which would in turn decrease the scale? If so what is the shortest scale possible on a bass guitar? Would this help even out very neck heavy bass'?

I do however realise that your suppose to get better tone with larger scale necks and that a bolt-on would be required. I'm just rather inquisitive.

Thanks Bass Boffins! I am forever wallowing in your wisdom!

The scale is the distance from the bridge to the nut. The number of fret is how many frets there are. A 20 fret bass has 20 frets regardless of scale.

You could in theory remove the first (the largest fret, by the nut) and the rest of the frets will keep intonation. In practical terms, it's a "wtf are you smoking?" situation.

Shortest scale is what you make it. However, as said, they do have tone issues. A better solution is to get a bass that balances properly and a nice thick strap.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yeah I have a nice padded Levy's strap, just a case of getting use to it, Just inquisitive really. Is there a general smallest scale neck sold by the main manufacturers say 30"-32"? I only ever see 34"/35" which says to me 34" is generally the standard.

So there isn't any relation between frets and scale then, as the scale includes the majority of the body length as well as neck.

Just to clear things up, im not exactly looking to buy one, just looking to gain some more wisdom and invoke a bit of chatter.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
quite a few manufacturers produce a 32" or 30" scale bass

fender make the mustang
gibson make the SG bass
and theres some more but it's early and i'm not quite awake yet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.