I listen to music, and hear these insane guitar solos. How the heck? I try to play a bunch of hammer-on's and pull-off's, all I get is a whole lot of noise. Any suggestions?
Practice, and ask more specific questions.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 25, 2009,
Practice playing hammer-on's and pull-off's, correct technique, possibly how to sweep pick, more practice.

Yeah, pretty much... practice, practice, more practice.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
dont expect to play like anytime soon. not sure if you havent already noticed (shame if you dont) that the guitarist had years and years of experience. basically start off slowly and once you can play correctly then gradually build up speed.
first, young grasshopper, you must learn to play with SOUL and FEELING (minor pent with some bends, 'lest the elitist blues players flame you

but really, just learn some new scales, memorize them, practice doing fast scale runs and improvising with the scales, then learn how to sweep.

voila! you can now 5|-|r3|)z0rz
Welcome to the world of metal.

All kidding aside, the main ways to get a good solo down is two things, precision and timing. Precision means that you hit a note exactly correct, that means correct positioning, no buzzing, correct hand movement. Timing is more difficult, it is often the hardest aspect of soloes. Make sure that even though you are messing around with quarternotes, eighthnotes, sixteenths, etc. always stay on beat with that 4/4 timing in your head. This allows you to play cleaner, and sound good with a band.

With those two down, all that is left is to speed the practice up until you are happy with the speed, but still have timing and precision.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
not sure if you havent already noticed (shame if you dont) that the guitarist had years and years of experience. QUOTE]

don't worry, I've noticed
Quote by Mainer
I listen to music, and hear these insane guitar solos. How the heck? I try to play a bunch of hammer-on's and pull-off's, all I get is a whole lot of noise. Any suggestions?

well it takes time. everyone starts somewhere. you cant expect to just jump right into playing amazing. just keep playing, jam along to CD's, practice scales and chords, improvise.
A lot of solos that pass as "insane" now are nothing more than a lot of noise either.

Not really relevant, just my 2 cents.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Quote by Mainer

Since playing "a bunch of of hammer-on's and pull-off's" doesn't work, it MUST be something else. Perhaps it involves a lot more skill and knowledge than that?

My suggestion is: try something else. At least you'll be eliminating what it's NOT. If you don't make an effort to go any deeper, that might be all you'll be able to do.
If you're getting a lot of noise from hammer-ons and pull-offs, what it could be is that you're catching another string, whether it's above or below if you catch it whilst tying to hammer another string and you're playing with lotsa gain/distortion then you'll get a lot of noise.

Or if by "noise" you mean your soloing just doesn't sound in key/melodic then learn some simple scales if you haven't already, and work within them slowly to begin with against a relavent chord progression. Gotta master things slowly before you can do "insane" stuff