Page 1 of 4
This was something I was thinking about today. Since gravity pulls you towards the middle of the Earth, what would happen if you were falling in a straight line through the Earth? Once you got to the middle, would to go out the otherside? I don't think so, because that means gravity would be pulling up. Would you just get stuck in the middle of the Earth?
you would be crushed
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
You would burn.

Also, the Earths core is solid and humans cannot pass through solids.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
You would burn up somewhere in the outer mantle.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
i saw this on like How Too, if anyone from the UK remembers that

Apparently, you will come out the other side, and be sucked back in, and kind of be yoyo'd a bit... but youd be dead before you got far

edit: actually, maybe i dreamt this.. it sounds stupid
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Last edited by PETERFKNPARKER at Feb 25, 2009,
For everyone saying you'd die, I was speaking hypothetically. If you COULD fall through the Earth, meaning no burning up, or the core is solid.
You'd die because of extreme heat somewere near 15000 mts in.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by TatarSalad2
For everyone saying you'd die, I was speaking hypothetically. If you COULD fall through the Earth, meaning no burning up, or the core is solid.

Gravity would make you explode because it's pulling from everywhere.

I think.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

If there was no heat you would fall about 98% through then fall back another 98% and keep bouncing till you came to rest weeks later in the center. But the closer you are to the center the less gravity there would be. I think the true center of the Earth has no gravity. Weird.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by TatarSalad2

Then yes, you'd just get stuck in the middle. You answered your own question in the OP.
hello?....... china?

e-cookie for reference
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Gravity would make you explode because it's pulling from everywhere.

I think.

Wouldn't it make you implode, because it's pushing?
well hypothetically if there was a tunnel you could fall through you would come out the other side and then fall back through the middle again for ever, your inertia keeps you going when you pass the middle but you do decelerate
wow, was i the only one who realised that he was talking hypothetically?

Like if you had a hypothetical tunnel that went directly through the center of the earth and out the other side that was invulnerable to heat and pressure, and you fell into it, what would happen?

Edit: nevermind, thank you ^
Last edited by GrungeJunkie at Feb 25, 2009,
IQ of UG just dropped drastically from original post
Quote by GrungeJunkie
wow, was i the only one who realised that he was talking hypothetically?

Like if you had a hypothetical tunnel that went directly through the center of the earth and out the other side that was invulnerable to heat and pressure, and you fell into it, what would happen?

wow with this logic people in china on the other side of the earth should be falling into space, what would happen is you would fall to the center of the earth with an acceleration of 9.8ms^2 gradually increasing as u got closer, and once u pass center u would slow down and fall back towards it like a spring

this is exceptionally simple to realise what would happen
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Feb 25, 2009,
well assuming there's a gigantic hole in the Earth for you to fall through and you're immortal:

you would get pulled towards the centre and then your velocity would carry you past it for a bit, then you'd be sucked in again, i imagine.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Supertait
You would burn.

It says he's a man right in the title!
Quote by Diamond Dave
well hypothetically if there was a tunnel you could fall through you would come out the other side and then fall back through the middle again for ever, your inertia keeps you going when you pass the middle but you do decelerate

Inertia keeps you going unless acted on by an unbalanced force, gravity. Once you pass the middle, would it be almost like you're jumping, and then fall back down toward the center, and repeat?

I am no scientist, but I would imagine that at the core of the Earth you would just be suspended in non-movement. The force of gravity keeps us on the ground, meaning it pushes on us. If we have no ground, we are pretty much what you see in space; free floating. Except, the difference would be, we are still in Earths gravitational pull which would inadvertantly cause us to have an experience of space with gravity. I would imagine that there would be a point (the core) where the force of gravity from one angle (lets say the southern pole) and the force of gravity from another (lets say, the northern pole)...If gravity pushes down, that downward force would go through these holes and meet each other; where I imagine, as I've said, we would just be suspended.

****, to much thought into that.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Diamond Dave

I'm gonna +1 this and risk showing my lack of physics knowledge. Makes sense though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by boreamor
It's not pushing though is it?

Well if gravity is pulling, then shouldn't the Earth's core be all stretched out instead of compacted into a ball?
Quote by TatarSalad2
Well if gravity is pulling, then shouldn't the Earth's core be all stretched out instead of compacted into a ball?

If gravity was pushing outwards, we'd be pushed away from the core, right?
Quote by boreamor
If gravity was pushing outwards, we'd be pushed away from the core, right?

But gravity pushes inwards, not outwards.
Quote by Diamond Dave

True only if you had no drag
In order to fall through the Earth and keep going out the other side, you'd need to pass through the core at escape velocity for whatever the pull of gravity is for the Earth's core. Otherwise you'd be pulled back in.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Spoony_Bard
In order to fall through the Earth and keep going out the other side, you'd need to pass through the core at escape velocity for whatever the pull of gravity is for the Earth's core. Otherwise you'd be pulled back in.

So you're saying that you need to go faster than the speed of gravity?
I think it's 9.6 ft/s/s. Hmmm....

So if we launched a rocket (hypothetically speaking again) through the center of the Earth, it could escape the force of gravity.
Ok, realistically you would die from the heat before you got anywhere close.

But ignoring that:

Gravity of objects is focussed on a point of singularity at the exact center of the planet/star/asteroid,etc. Therefore as you got closer and closer to the center, the gravity you would experience would increase (at an exponential rate when you got really close) Therefore you would be pulled in and get crushed. You wouldn't perpetually fall through and back or whatever. You would get stuck in the center where all the gravity is concentrated towards.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
You would very quickly reach terminal velocity (approx. 120mph for the average adult) and then slowly start to slow down due to the increased air density. After about 45 miles you would reach a float point, due to the massively increased air density. You would have trouble trying to swim out too, because unlike water the buoyancy would not be a constant in relation to depth.

Basically you would get stuck at about 1/100th of the depth of the earth.

If you assume that your in a vacuum however, traveling from north pole to south would take roughly 42 minutes and you would keep going forever (no resistance in a vacuum).

Quote by JimmyBanks6
IQ of UG just dropped drastically from original post

wow with this logic people in china on the other side of the earth should be falling into space, what would happen is you would fall to the center of the earth with an acceleration of 9.8ms^2 gradually increasing as u got closer, and once u pass center u would slow down and fall back towards it like a spring

this is exceptionally simple to realise what would happen

I find it hilarious how you mock others for lack intelligence, then are entirely stupid yourself!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by TatarSalad2
So you're saying that you need to go faster than the speed of gravity?
I think it's 9.6 ft/s/s. Hmmm....

So if we launched a rocket (hypothetically speaking again) through the center of the Earth, it could escape the force of gravity.

9.8 meters per second^2 at the surface of Earth. As you increase in elevation the rate decreases, as you decrease in elevation the rate increases (increase/decrease in relation to the center of the earth.)
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Supertait
You would burn.

What better way to die than burning to a cinder, and colliding full force with the center of the earth?
Interviewer: What types of super-powers would you want if you could have them?

The Rev: I’d like to be invisible so I could kill Johnny
Johnny: I’d want to be invisible so the Rev couldn’t find me

ARANEA
My Band
Page 1 of 4