I have a Crate V5 that I rarely use, as the only guitar I've played in the last year or so has been acoustic. I play bass often however, and will be going into the studio to record an album soon. I will have access to plenty of gear, however a tasty 5w amp could be a great studio asset.
For those who are unfamiliar with the V5, it is a small tube guitar combo amp. It puts out 5 watts, with a 12ax7 and an el84, and has one volume and one tone control. As you can expect, it is not very versatile, and with the stock Slovteks does not sound very good, even for guitar.
Here's my idea:
1. Make this amp a small head, a la little giant.
2. Replace the tone stack entirely, with one voiced for bass, that sounds awesome. I don't have any particular goals, as long as it sounds good. Although it would be cool if it ended up sounding like an SVT, this is unlikely.
3. Replace the tubes with some decent ones, probably a Tung-Sol 12ax7 for headroom, and a JJ el84, because I've had good experiences with JJs.
4. ???

Feedback? Suggestions?
Quote by Pastorius
1. Make this amp a small head, a la little giant.
sure. makes some sense. or just put an output jack on it and a plug and cord for the internal speaker. unplug the internal speaker when you wanna play through a cab.

Quote by Pastorius
2. Replace the tone stack entirely, with one voiced for bass, that sounds awesome. I don't have any particular goals, as long as it sounds good. Although it would be cool if it ended up sounding like an SVT, this is unlikely.
SVT? lol, no. killer preamp. totally different tone controls than a FMV style tonestack. Bandaxall tone circuit for the treble and bass. and an active midrange boost/cut filter. serious shiz, requiring more stages of gain than you currently have.

Quote by Pastorius
3. Replace the tubes with some decent ones, probably a Tung-Sol 12ax7 for headroom, and a JJ el84, because I've had good experiences with JJs.
sure. makes sense.

Quote by Pastorius
4. ???

Feedback? Suggestions?
before even worrying about the tonestack or the tubes, install the output jack. having this plugged into a cab that can handle a bass without farting might be all you need.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It actually has a jack. The internal speaker is attatched to a 1/4'' plug, so I have already run it through my cab, with decent results. However, I am predictably lacking in low end. I am considering at this point replacing the tone stack with an effects loop, in which I will put a multi-effects I have that sounds great for bass and has an EQ on it.