Okay...so i was surfing around Rondo's sight the other day looking at their guitars, and i noticed a new addition to the bunch. That guitar is the Agile AL-3000M HSB...which is essentially exactly the same spec wise as the AL-3000, except for the addition of a "Solid 3/4"+ Maple Cap." According to the site, the cap "improves overall sound quality (increases brightness of the guitar)."

AL-3000m HSB:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000mhsb.html

The AL Spec Sheet:
http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

Notice the specs are the EXACT same except for the Cap. Does a 3/4" Maple Cap really make a tonal difference worth $110?
i don't even know what a cap is. this may be a noob question, but seriously what is it?
Quote by athlete1
i don't even know what a cap is. this may be a noob question, but seriously what is it?

it's wood glued onto the front of the guitar.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
my best guess would be they mean a maple top... the top wood of the guitar...

and turns out I'm right...

# 3/4" thick maple cap improves overall sound quality (increases brightness of the guitar)
# The Maple cap sits over the 1 1/2” 2 piece solid Mahogany body with binding.

look at the pix... you see how the top is a flamed maple and the back is mahogany?
rondo calls a guitar top a cap it seems
Quote by Senada
Okay...so i was surfing around Rondo's sight the other day looking at their guitars, and i noticed a new addition to the bunch. That guitar is the Agile AL-3000M HSB...which is essentially exactly the same spec wise as the AL-3000, except for the addition of a "Solid 3/4"+ Maple Cap." According to the site, the cap "improves overall sound quality (increases brightness of the guitar)."

AL-3000m HSB:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000mhsb.html

The AL Spec Sheet:
http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

Notice the specs are the EXACT same except for the Cap. Does a 3/4" Maple Cap really make a tonal difference worth $110?

your not paying for the tonal difference your paying for the fact that it's flamed, it's most asthetic, yes there will be a slight tonal difference, but no one will hear it.
Quote by Senada

If you want the guitar to be ever-so-slightly brighter and insist that it to be built the same basic way as a Gibson Les Paul Standard it would be worth it.

If you want to get the most guitar for the money and have a few bucks left over for fancy pickups it would not be worth it.

Are ultra minor tonal differences important to you? Worth $110? You tell us.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
If you want the guitar to be ever-so-slightly brighter and insist that it to be built the same basic way as a Gibson Les Paul Standard it would be worth it.

If you want to get the most guitar for the money and have a few bucks left over for fancy pickups it would not be worth it.

Are ultra minor tonal differences important to you? Worth $110? You tell us.

Well if the tonal differences are that minor, then no, i suppose its not worth $110 to me.

I appreciate all the answers, now i just wish GC would start carrying these puppies so i could try one before buying
No no no, that 3/4" of maple DOES make a difference. It's one of the reasons a Gibson LP sounds different from an Epi LP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No no no, that 3/4" of maple DOES make a difference. It's one of the reasons a Gibson LP sounds different from an Epi LP.

But my question is, is the "minor" difference the cap makes worth $110??
IMO, yes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Senada

I appreciate all the answers, now i just wish GC would start carrying these puppies so i could try one before buying

But that's the reason why they're so cheap.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
hey how are agile guitars? i really like how affordable they are in comparison to epiphones and gibsons. this forum seems to really like Agiles too
About $100 cheaper than a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it really seems like a good deal
Also how does the AL-2000 compare with the AL-3000?
I wish they had honey burst since it's my favorite finish
Quote by aznrockerdude
But that's the reason why they're so cheap.

Ah alas you are correct. I suppose i'll just have to put my faith in the good people at Rondo and hope they deliver me a guitar that sounds as amazing as it looks.

Btw, just for the curious, i'll probably be going for the Al-3000M, an extra $110 isn't a bad price to get a good Gibby-like guitar...especially compared to an extra 3 or 4 hundred for a Gibby LP Standard.